Best way to install glass in large door - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 01-02-2013, 08:49 AM Thread Starter

View LMDAVE's Photo Album My Photos
Best way to install glass in large door

Hi, new to the forum here.

I'm building a guitar display cabinet. The cabinet is a trapezoid shape, the door is 45" high and has a 1/4" groove to inset glass in the inside of the door frame.

I was planning on just glazier points to hold the glass in the frame, or should it be glued in?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-02-2013, 09:15 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
I normally use wooden trim to hold glass in however if you have only 1/4" by the time you put glass in there wouldn't be room to nail it. You might fashion some screen molding with a lip to extend over the glass and mount it to the back of the door if trim on the back wouldn't hit anything. You might use glazing points to hold the glass in and then use color caulk to cover the edges. Another option would but to use the points and put a piece of wooden glass stop over them with hot melt glue. You could also use the old fashion method of glazing points and glazing compound. The compound can be colored to be wood color with a universal tinting color.
post #3 of 8 Old 01-02-2013, 11:08 AM

View D.Lawless Hardware's Photo Album My Photos
Glazier points should do fine. My company assembled frames by the thousands during the furniture boom in the 90's. We'd put famous prints in them or an old John Deere print or whatever.

Point is, there is nothing as easy and effective for holding glass (or glass, the print, and backing) than glazier points. Since you are using glass only and no print or backing, make sure you fit them snugly. Other than that you should be fine without gluing.

Your project looks great. What kind of guitar are you going to be displaying?

10% off @ www.dlawlesshardware.com with the coupon "wwtalk"!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 01-02-2013, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

Thanks. Once I get the trapezoid piece of glass cut, I'll see how it goes with just the points.

The guitar I'm displaying is a first year (1987) Ibanez JEM. (see link for pics of this type of guitar - I'll ahve the yellow one)

http://www.ibanezwiki.com/download/a...367/Page04.jpg

These guitars came in unique florescent colors, and had a theme of pyramids, vines. So, that is why I have the pyramid in the 3 florescent colors as a symbol, vine molding, and at the top a have three 7's in the same 3 colors representing the model number of the guitar JEM777.
post #5 of 8 Old 01-02-2013, 12:22 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos

On this page...the R-21 series.
Or, a clip like this...
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...9&site=ROCKLER

Glaziers points can split the wood.

post #6 of 8 Old 01-02-2013, 12:55 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Cabinetman, I think those will work great for my application. I'm going to order a set.
post #7 of 8 Old 01-02-2013, 07:01 PM
Making sawdust in MS

View rayking49's Photo Album My Photos
I've never had glaziers points split the wood.
post #8 of 8 Old 01-02-2013, 09:15 PM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
Dave,
whenever I have set glass in cabinet doors, I used 100% silicone. Lay the door down flat, lay the glass in. Trick is getting a nice even bead all the way around. Then let it sit for 24 hours without touching it. Nice case BTW.

Mike Hawkins

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode