Best use for maple and madrone? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By nick_m

post #1 of 5 Old 06-29-2020, 11:06 PM Thread Starter

View nick_m's Photo Album My Photos
Best use for maple and madrone?

Hello everyone,

Iím having a large maple and madrone removed and would like to incorporate both into a timber frame cabin Iím building on the property. I was thinking of maple for the cabinets and possibly the structural braces (the frame will be Douglas fir). The madrone is large enough for live edge countertops in the kitchen and baths.

Where or how else might I use the wood? The maple is 36Ē so thereís potentially enough for flooring. I can handle the cabinet-sized, rough-cut maple myself but would need to have the madrone and flooring milled. Does this use of the wood make financial sense if I canít process it myself?

Iím open to suggestions. They say both make great firewood but that seems like such a waste.

Thanks,
Nick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-01-2020, 08:03 PM

View mmwood_1's Photo Album My Photos
Firewood would be a terrible waste of good hardwood, for sure. I don't know what species of maple it is, but maple can generally be used for ANYTHING interior. Whether it is financially feasible all depends on the comparison between what it costs to get it to usable lumber, and what you could buy it for from a dealer.

Madrone, on the other hand, is not something you can typically walk into any hardwood store and obtain. It is not in common use for cabinets or furniture, but is more a specialty species. For starters, it is known for twisting while drying. To dry it successfully, you must do so very slowly, and it should be well stickered and weighted down. I know a guy locally who does very well with it, but others who split it so badly it's, IMO, unusable. But if you can accomplish that task, it is a hard and beautiful wood.

I don't know where you are located, but if you have a madrone, I am guessing that you may be in the pacific northwest. If so, then there is a good chance that your maple is a broad leaf maple, or western maple. If it is, and if the wood inside is figured, then it may be a very expensive lumber to buy, depending on the figure and how much of it there is. Here is a link to a place near me that sells it, and you can get an idea from the website. Bear in mind that this place sells only the cream of the crop, and is probably the most expensive source for it, but it will give you an idea of the potential in a broad leaf maple tree. If indeed that is what you have. ( https://nwtimber.com/ )
post #3 of 5 Old 07-01-2020, 11:04 PM Thread Starter

Thanks mmwood_1

Youíre correct; itís broad leaf maple. Since posting this I spoke with my sawyer and he thought Iíd come out ahead if I could handle rough cut maple. I wonít use it for a couple years, which should be enough time for 4/4 boards to dry, right?

As for the madrone, would it be better to dry it in a shed (rather than a garage) to slow the drying? Can I use clamping cauls (on the stack) to keep them straight or do I need external weight? Any suggestion for countertop thickness? I was thinking 2Ē, so start with 10/4 slabs.

Finally, any cautions about which sticker material to use or avoid for either species to avoid staining?

Sorry for the basic questions; Iíve only ever used QSWO purchased in dry condition.

Nick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 07-02-2020, 12:32 AM

View mmwood_1's Photo Album My Photos
1) once the wood is cut, you want to paint, wax, or otherwise seal the cut ends to reduce moisture loss through the end grain. Failing to do that will very likely result in extreme checking.

2)the general rule of thumb for air drying is 1 year/one inch of thickness. Conditions will vary that accordingly.
3)milling and drying wood is not something I do, personally, except for a small amount for my own use. I've known a few people around who do it and some are pretty good at it. I have learned a lot from them, but it is not my own first-hand experience. I can tell you this much, I got some 13" diameter apple logs some years ago. Apple, like madrone, is infamous for its twisting while drying. I sealed the ends well, propped them up off the ground, and let the logs sit out through an Oregon winter. In the Spring, I brought them in to get milled, then I stacked and stickered them and covered the stack with a tarp in a non-heated shed for about 8 months. After that, they moved into my shop, where they sat for another year or so, still stickered. The result was practically no checking at all, some amount of cupping and twist, but nothing I couldn't lose because I had milled them thickly enough, expecting that.

As for clamping, I would think that would work if you can manage it, at least as well as anything else can. And I've yet to meet a sticker that didn't leave a stain. Since this is a small batch run for personal use, wax paper is cheap. You can wrap your stickers with it and that ought to prevent staining.

Most countertops are about 1 1/2". You can do 2", but you must bear in mind that appliances are made to fit under 1 1/2" counters, at a 36" counter height. If you go 36" countertop height with 2" thick counters, you won't get a dishwasher under it. So adapt accordingly, if you go 2".

BTW, whereabouts are you? I'm in Corvallis, OR.
post #5 of 5 Old 07-02-2020, 01:28 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the tips. Wax paper... great idea.

I'm in Gig Harbor, WA (across the bridge from Tacoma). The property is on Herron Island, just north of Olympia.
mmwood_1 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode