Best types of wood for solid raw wood furniture? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Steve Neul

post #1 of 3 Old 10-17-2016, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

View alexanderwallman's Photo Album My Photos
Best types of wood for solid raw wood furniture?

Hi. I'm getting into making stools and seats out of solid, green or dried wood. Does anyone have ideas on the best types of wood to use for these kinds of projects? I live in California but am open to sourcing from other states if necessary. I've used camphor, which was really great, but it's hard to find. I've also used redwood, which was pretty good. I'd love to use woods that are from environmentally-responsible sources if possible. ...Also, if anyone has any ideas on how to treat or finish to avoid cracking or checking I'd love to hear from you. (I've used PEG 1000 / Pentacryl but that is a little pricey when it comes to big pieces.)

Here's a photo of something I made recently to give you an idea of what I'm talking about.

Thank you so much.

alex
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 10-17-2016, 08:01 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
I don't see anything wrong with using redwood. You might find a supplier that has access to some old dead wood so that it would be partially dried. You also need to find some way to heat the wood as the logs will often contain an insect infestation.
alexanderwallman likes this.
post #3 of 3 Old 10-18-2016, 03:01 AM Thread Starter

View alexanderwallman's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks so much Steve. What would you recommend to combat insects on a project like this? Cheers. Really appreciate you taking the time. :)

Tags
carving, chair, raw material, raw wood, raw wood project

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode