Best type of wood to use - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 10-10-2016, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

View Allenayres83's Photo Album My Photos
Best type of wood to use

I am wanting to build a gun concealment shelf like this for myself but I'm not sure what type and species of wood I should use. In my area there are not a lot of options to buy hardwood. Basically only what is available at Lowe's and home depot. Of course I could order online but trying to avoid that if at all possible. The company that makes these use birch plywood for the frame, top, and bottom. The molding used is poplar from the company. I'm not sure how I feel about using plywood for the frame of this since I would have to nail or screw in between the plies. So I was wanting to use solid lumber, maybe poplar for the frame but I'm not sure if the plywood is ok to use or not. So what would you guys use to make this as durable and economical as possible?
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-10-2016, 09:48 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Any wood that you can get should work fine. Just pick the one you like the best.
post #3 of 5 Old 10-11-2016, 12:58 AM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
If youre limited to whats available at your local big box stores, id make peace with the plywood. Predrill and a screw driven into the edge will be plenty strong, you wont be dropping your glock on the floor with it. Get a sheet of plywood for the main box, then grab some baseboard molding to pretty it up around the edges

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 10-11-2016, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

View Allenayres83's Photo Album My Photos
If I use plywood to construct the entire shelf frame, does everyone agree that the shelf supports would be strong enough if I just screw them to the back?
post #5 of 5 Old 10-11-2016, 01:48 PM

View mikechell's Photo Album My Photos
Um ... if you're just screwing supports to the back of the shelf frame, then I doubt you'll have sufficient support for everything shown in the picture above. The rifle, pistol and ammo will come in at about 16 pounds. The pull-down and supporting hardware, maybe another 10 pounds. The upper shelf and whatever you put on it ... 10 to 20 pounds?
All totaled, somewhere between 35 to 45 pounds. A few screws through the rear shelf "frame" probably won't hold that kind of weight.

I believe the picture shows the back of the assembly is a single board, everything built onto that.
Attached Images

Last edited by mikechell; 10-11-2016 at 02:04 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode