Best solution for creating a strong kitchen microwave support. - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 10 Old 04-28-2015, 11:20 AM Thread Starter

View Oldiebutgoodie's Photo Album My Photos
Best solution for creating a strong kitchen microwave support.

I'm replacing a range hood with an over-the-range microwave. There is a soffit now with a cabinet underneath which must go to make room for the microwave. I'm going to put in a box shelf between the soffit and mw to make everything fit. The mw is about 50 lbs., so I don't want it to end up in my lap, so I'm looking for some real strength in the box. It will be a four sided rectangle. Rear of the mw will be supported by the manufacturer's bracket across the wall studs, but the front will need to be screwed into the bottom of the box.
I'm thinking dove-tail would be best on the box joints, but I do not have the equipment or the skill at this point. I do have a Kreg set-up so I may try that for the box corners.
Also, assuming I find studs in the soffit, and screw the top of the box into a stud would this be load-bearing problem?
I'm looking at solid poplar 1x12 to make the sides of the box.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-28-2015, 06:40 PM

View Chamfer's Photo Album My Photos
Screw the box to the studs in the wall. Make the box with a back and one shelf. Rabbit and dado it together with glue and itll be plenty strong.

I would use plywood though, 3/4".
post #3 of 10 Old 04-28-2015, 07:17 PM

View MT Stringer's Photo Album My Photos
Replace it with a properly sized box made similar to the existing cabinet.
If your microwave is similar to mine, it mounts on a bracket which is attached to the rear wall. Then a pair of holes are drilled up through the cabinet (or box) above it. Your microwave should have come with the bolts to mount it.

3/4 inch plywood should be good enough to support the microwave.

Question - are there cabinets on each side where the MW will be mounted?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 04-28-2015, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT Stringer View Post
Question - are there cabinets on each side where the MW will be mounted?

I almost asked the same thing but from his description it sounds like no. Hard to tell for sure.

If there were cabinets on both sides he could just make the box to fit and screw it to the existings.
post #5 of 10 Old 04-28-2015, 09:16 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldiebutgoodie View Post
I'm replacing a range hood with an over-the-range microwave. There is a soffit now with a cabinet underneath which must go to make room for the microwave. I'm going to put in a box shelf between the soffit and mw to make everything fit. The mw is about 50 lbs., so I don't want it to end up in my lap, so I'm looking for some real strength in the box. It will be a four sided rectangle. Rear of the mw will be supported by the manufacturer's bracket across the wall studs, but the front will need to be screwed into the bottom of the box.
I'm thinking dove-tail would be best on the box joints, but I do not have the equipment or the skill at this point. I do have a Kreg set-up so I may try that for the box corners.
Also, assuming I find studs in the soffit, and screw the top of the box into a stud would this be load-bearing problem?
I'm looking at solid poplar 1x12 to make the sides of the box.
It shouldn't take anything extraordinary to hold a hood/microwave. Any reasonably built hood cabinet can hold a microwave even without the wall bracket. The wall brackets are really supplied for substandard cabinets.
post #6 of 10 Old 04-28-2015, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
It shouldn't take anything extraordinary to hold a hood/microwave. Any reasonably built hood cabinet can hold a microwave even without the wall bracket. The wall brackets are really supplied for substandard cabinets.

Thats not true for the countless micros Ive installed. The wall bracket has a lip that holds up the back of the micro. Without that there would be nothing to hold up the back. Generally only two screws are supplied with a kit and they go down through the cabinet and into the micro, but they just hold up the front and are positioned so.

There can be some decent weight on a cabinet supporting a micro, depending on how heavy the unit is.

Last edited by Chamfer; 04-28-2015 at 09:35 PM.
post #7 of 10 Old 04-28-2015, 09:58 PM Thread Starter

View Oldiebutgoodie's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks. Maybe I'm just a bit overly concerned about the weight. I have the back bracket with the tabs. But I don' t find a stud in the part of the soffit overhang over the range at all.
post #8 of 10 Old 04-28-2015, 10:05 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamfer View Post
Thats not true for the countless micros Ive installed. The wall bracket has a lip that holds up the back of the micro. Without that there would be nothing to hold up the back. Generally only two screws are supplied with a kit and they go down through the cabinet and into the micro, but they just hold up the front and are positioned so.

There can be some decent weight on a cabinet supporting a micro, depending on how heavy the unit is.
I couldn't begin to guess how many I've installed and there was sufficient bolts to hold up the microwave without the wall bracket. On the cabinets I build I just throw the back plate away. On the other hand I haven't installed one in the last year. Perhaps some screwball engineer has changed them recently.
post #9 of 10 Old 04-28-2015, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldiebutgoodie View Post
Thanks. Maybe I'm just a bit overly concerned about the weight. I have the back bracket with the tabs. But I don' t find a stud in the part of the soffit overhang over the range at all.

Can you take a pic of what youre referring to when you say soffit over the range?
post #10 of 10 Old 04-28-2015, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
I couldn't begin to guess how many I've installed and there was sufficient bolts to hold up the microwave without the wall bracket. On the cabinets I build I just throw the back plate away. On the other hand I haven't installed one in the last year. Perhaps some screwball engineer has changed them recently.

Never seen one with more than 2 bolts that screw into the top towards the very front. Not nearly enough to support the full weight.

And thats going back 15 years when I installed my first.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode