The Best Rust Preventers - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 15 Old 06-11-2012, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
Trytore Member

View Shop Dad's Photo Album My Photos
The Best Rust Preventers

Did anyone see the article on the best rust preventers in the current issue of Fine Woodworking? I was shocked to see Boeshield T-9 outperformed by WD-40 and a host of others.

I've never even heard of http://www.amazon.com/CRC-03005-11oz-Multi-Purpose-Lubricant/dp/B00192EX10.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 06-11-2012, 04:43 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
What do you have to do to read the article?

My favorite rust preventive is LPS2 by LPS Laboratories.

Most easily found at a marine supply store. I use on it on the motors and machinery in my boat that is in a salt environment. It also helps keep my refrigerator and freezer in my garage from completely rusting apart.

George
post #3 of 15 Old 06-11-2012, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
Trytore Member

George, It's in the current magazine and that's the only link available. You need to join their online content subscription. If you get the hard copy mag. it's only about $15/yr to add. They may make it generally available at some point but probably not while the magazine is on newstands.

They ranked LPS3 (three) highly, but didn't test LPS2.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 06-11-2012, 07:43 PM

View sawdustfactory's Photo Album My Photos
Intersting thing was that none of the products tested, wax included, interfered with finishes.

That bowl was perfect right up until that last cut...
post #5 of 15 Old 06-12-2012, 07:01 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
It doesn't surprise me. WD-40 was developed for the navy to prevent rust on equipment on ships. The navy has deep pockets so I figure it's the best.
post #6 of 15 Old 06-12-2012, 08:25 AM

View del schisler's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
It doesn't surprise me. WD-40 was developed for the navy to prevent rust on equipment on ships. The navy has deep pockets so I figure it's the best.
The WD stand's for water displacement . As i am told I use T-9 work's for me no rust in so florida on 6 machines ?
post #7 of 15 Old 06-12-2012, 08:29 AM
Log dog

View Dominick's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by del schisler

The WD stand's for water displacement . As i am told I use T-9 work's for me no rust in so florida on 6 machines ?
Yea and the 40 means its their 40th attempt to get it that way.

When it's rustic......it's rustic
The Following User Says Thank You to Dominick For This Useful Post:
del schisler (06-12-2012)
post #8 of 15 Old 06-12-2012, 08:34 AM
Turning Wood Into Art

View DaveTTC's Photo Album My Photos
It is a great degreaser and cleaner for sliding door rollers and tracks that should never ever have been greased and oiled. If you have a sliding door that sounds like it is running on railway tracks every time you open and close it give it a clean with liberal use of WD40

Dave The Turning Cowboy

DaveTTC

The Turning Cowboy
Turning Wood into Art
post #9 of 15 Old 06-12-2012, 08:41 AM Thread Starter
Trytore Member

I thought it was interesting too that these tested fine with finishes. However I feel like the article is unfinished. It really calls for more information. What was the application process? For paste wax or T-9 did they leave it on a couple of minutes then buff it, or spray on and wipe off? What is the recommendation for particular uses? What about combinations? I haven't had any problems with T-9 either and I am certainly hesitant to use WD-40 on my table saw. I did recently wipe down the painted surfaces of a couple machines with WD-40 to clean and protect. They shined up nicely but I can't speak to long term protection.
The Following User Says Thank You to Shop Dad For This Useful Post:
del schisler (06-12-2012)
post #10 of 15 Old 06-12-2012, 11:35 AM

View WillemJM's Photo Album My Photos
I don't have access to the article, where did paste wax rate and what was the best?

Some time ago, long time ago, for work we did tests on automotive coatings, metal treatment before and corrosion resistance.

I guess there will be a lot of subjectivity as to how this should be tested, however I doubt it that FWW would have access to the test equimpment needed for measuring permeability of moisture through barrier materials as well as the effects of all the factors that start the chemical corrosion process.

All I know is my shop was together one year this May, in storage for 18 months before that and I have no corrosion whatsover after rubbing Johnsons Paste wax on liberally, and leaving it 2 1/2 years ago, in central NC.

Pure mathematics is, in it's way, the poetry of logical ideas. - Albert Einstein.
post #11 of 15 Old 06-12-2012, 01:16 PM

View HowardAcheson's Photo Album My Photos
>>>> It doesn't surprise me. WD-40 was developed for the navy to prevent rust on equipment on ships.

From the WD 40 web site:

In 1953, a fledgling company called Rocket Chemical Company and its staff of three set out to create a line of rust-prevention solvents and degreasers for use in the aerospace industry, in a small lab in San Diego, California.

CLOSE QOUTE

Here's the relevant web site: http://www.wd40.com/about-us/history/. Interesting stuff.

Howie..........
post #12 of 15 Old 06-12-2012, 01:33 PM

View HowardAcheson's Photo Album My Photos
The problem with waxes is that they provide little or no resistance to water vapor. They work fine for liquid water. Boeshild T9 is primarily a wax so it does not do well against water vapor.

Howie..........
post #13 of 15 Old 06-12-2012, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
Trytore Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillemJM View Post
I don't have access to the article, where did paste wax rate and what was the best?
Paste wax was in the middle of the pack with Boeshield. They didn't really specify in an order other than a top seven. http://www.amazon.com/CRC-03005-11oz-Multi-Purpose-Lubricant/dp/B00192EX10/ was the one recommended with LPS-3 and WD-40 close behind. It's worth picking up the magazine, but I really do think they need a follow up as it left a lot of questions remaining.
post #14 of 15 Old 06-12-2012, 02:58 PM

View knotscott's Photo Album My Photos
I haven't seen the article, but Wood Mag did something similar a few years ago. T-9 topped their list that included WD-40, so I'm curious how the two tests got different results....could have to do with climate during the test. Here's another test where T-9 did well.

FWIW, I've gotten great results from T-9 for several years.
post #15 of 15 Old 06-12-2012, 09:06 PM

View WillemJM's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by knotscott View Post
I haven't seen the article, but Wood Mag did something similar a few years ago. T-9 topped their list that included WD-40, so I'm curious how the two tests got different results....could have to do with climate during the test. Here's another test where T-9 did well.

FWIW, I've gotten great results from T-9 for several years.
Thanks for posting that. The problem I have with this test is that it is not realistic, comparing equipment in a closed shop, hidden from the environment. While the thunderstorm may have lifted some of oils and not the T9, over time in a closed shop, the barrier properties against permeation of moisture and natural minerals may not be the best, resulting in different actual outcomes.

Pure mathematics is, in it's way, the poetry of logical ideas. - Albert Einstein.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode