• 1 Post By woodnthings
  • 1 Post By MrDavid
  • 1 Post By BigJim
  • 3 Post By epicfail48

post #1 of 20 Old 11-20-2017, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

View MrDavid's Photo Album My Photos
Best place to source Birch Plywood?

Hi All,

I'm going to be purchasing a high quantity of Birch Plywood sheets, about 6mm. 50-100 sheets.

Does anyone have any experience in sourcing Birch Plywood?

I'm seeing many countries that supply this, but I know they will be varying qualities and prices.

I'm going to be using it to make small boxes, about 8 x 8 x 5cm - the wood will be laser cut.

Any advice on where I should be looking?

Thanks

"Easy Choices Hard Life, Hard Choices Easy Life"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 11-20-2017, 12:33 PM

View Catpower's Photo Album My Photos
Most any hard wood supplier would fix you up. Baltic Birch is real good plywood, but it comes in 5x5 sheets. If you can locate some Finnish Birch it comes in 4x8 sheets
post #3 of 20 Old 11-20-2017, 01:01 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Catpower - yeah I just did some quick googling and I am seeing good feedback regarding Baltic Birch.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 11-20-2017, 01:26 PM
Ole Woodworker

View BigJim's Photo Album My Photos
Check out appleply Birch plywood.

Edit* I don't know if they have that kind of plywood in your part of the world.

http://www.diychatroom.com/
The Other
BigJim

If you do what you've always done, you will get what you've always got.

Last edited by BigJim; 11-20-2017 at 01:29 PM.
post #5 of 20 Old 11-20-2017, 04:56 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
For small quantities of plywood like you want you will need to find someone local to you.

George
post #6 of 20 Old 11-20-2017, 06:45 PM

View Catpower's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeC View Post
For small quantities of plywood like you want you will need to find someone local to you.

George

50-100 sheets really isn't a small order, actually rather large that a hardwood dealer would welcome
MT Stringer likes this.
post #7 of 20 Old 11-21-2017, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catpower View Post
50-100 sheets really isn't a small order, actually rather large that a hardwood dealer would welcome
It is small in the sense of trying to order it for shipping any distance. Think of it in terms of how many sheets of plywood a yard will sell in a week.

George
post #8 of 20 Old 11-21-2017, 11:26 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Where have you looked?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDavid View Post
Hi All,

I'm going to be purchasing a high quantity of Birch Plywood sheets, about 6mm. 50-100 sheets.

Does anyone have any experience in sourcing Birch Plywood?

I'm seeing many countries that supply this, but I know they will be varying qualities and prices.

I'm going to be using it to make small boxes, about 8 x 8 x 5cm - the wood will be laser cut.

Any advice on where I should be looking?

Thanks
If you have looked .....where? Where are you located? WORLD is a very large place and not helpful for referencing sources. If you want help then you have to be more specific. We are not going to do all the research for you. Google "Birch 6mm plywood" and you will find many sources. There is Baltic Birch and Russian Birch. Which do you need?

Rockler and Home Depot carry Baltic Birch:
https://www.homedepot.com/s/baltic%2...plywood?NCNI-5

A local lumber yard may not carry it, but they can order it to save shipping. I've done this many times. The difference between 50 and 100 sheets is significant, so which is it?
MT Stringer likes this.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #9 of 20 Old 11-21-2017, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
If you have looked .....where? Where are you located? WORLD is a very large place and not helpful for referencing sources. If you want help then you have to be more specific. We are not going to do all the research for you. Google "Birch 6mm plywood" and you will find many sources. There is Baltic Birch and Russian Birch. Which do you need?

A local lumber yard may not carry it, but they can order it to save shipping. I've done this many times. The difference between 50 and 100 sheets is significant, so which is it?
Thanks Woodnthings,

Catpower has helped in advising on Baltic Birch, so I have already started and found a lot of recommendations and starting to find suppliers.

I think 50-100 sheets was mentioned as an idea in terms of volume, so I have now assumed that's big enough to go directly to a manufacturer.

I don't need you to do all the work, just some general tips and I can do the rest - I think I got that from you and the other posters.

Thank you

post #10 of 20 Old 11-21-2017, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJim View Post
Check out appleply Birch plywood.

Edit* I don't know if they have that kind of plywood in your part of the world.
I'm not sure bigjim, couldn't find anything on google.
BigJim likes this.

post #11 of 20 Old 11-22-2017, 09:55 AM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:

I would like to buy some birch plywood in assorted thicknesses to have on hand for many miscellaneous uses, including jigs, small boxes for the garage, drawer bottoms, and whatever comes to mind.

I thought I wanted Baltic Birch (5 x 5 foot sheets) because it seems the best quality. It might be overkill for jigs and small garage projects, but I can't store every variety of flat sheet for every purpose - I don't have the room in my garage, and SWMBO won't tolerate it.

There is also Russian birch (4 x 8), and the plywoods that showed up in @woodnthings' Home Depot search. Someone also mentioned "Finnish birch", but I have not seen that in my local area (Southern California).

* Can someone explain the differences between the various birch plywood types that have been mentioned?

* Can you help me decide which is the best all-purpose plywood to buy in various thicknesses?

* For those of you with limited wood storage, what flat sheet products do you keep around your shop for ready use?
post #12 of 20 Old 11-22-2017, 10:18 AM
where's my table saw?

My supplier carries Baltic Birch

I have seen it at Home Depot also and all I can say is look for the sheets that are the most flat. I don't know for certain, but there is no significant difference between them.

Read first paragraph:
http://www.wolstenholme.com/plywood-.../baltic-birch/

http://www.russianbirchpanel.com/pro...birch-plywood/

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #13 of 20 Old 11-22-2017, 12:55 PM
Ole Woodworker

View BigJim's Photo Album My Photos
I think we are looking in the wrong places trying to help Mr. David, he is in Arabia.
woodnthings likes this.

http://www.diychatroom.com/
The Other
BigJim

If you do what you've always done, you will get what you've always got.
post #14 of 20 Old 11-22-2017, 01:52 PM
where's my table saw?

another wasted search ....

This is why it should be mandatory a new member post the country or origin, or a zipcode or the State of residence to avoid giving useless information and searching the USA for stuff that won't get UPS shipped to Arabia? Saudi Arabia?

People come asking for advice, free help, sources, but in exchange are too lazy to help in the process by providing the most basic information. That's the reason for my polite but somewhat acerbic reply above and the reason for my signature line.

Quote:
I think we are looking in the wrong places trying to help Mr. David, he is in Arabia.

post #15 of 20 Old 11-22-2017, 02:10 PM

Quote:
We knew in the beginning that he was not from the US. That is why I told him he had to find someone local to him.

This forum was not the place for what he wanted.

I think we have gotten him confused. He now thinks that 50 to 100 sheets of ply is a large enough order to talk to a manufacturer about.

George
post #16 of 20 Old 11-22-2017, 02:32 PM
where's my table saw?

How about this...?

Quote:

When a new member signs on and posts a thread, the Moderators will look at the ISP location and either make a foot note in the thread or request the member post his location under his user name. No threads will be or replies allowed without this information. If you want to hide from the world, why are you online in the first place?

post #17 of 20 Old 11-23-2017, 02:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Big Jim, I'm actually between locations, Torquay Devon and Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.

I'm gong to be selling from both locations.

post #18 of 20 Old 11-23-2017, 03:16 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
This is why it should be mandatory a new member post the country or origin, or a zipcode or the State of residence to avoid giving useless information and searching the USA for stuff that won't get UPS shipped to Arabia? Saudi Arabia?

People come asking for advice, free help, sources, but in exchange are too lazy to help in the process by providing the most basic information. That's the reason for my polite but somewhat acerbic reply above and the reason for my signature line.

Wood, my requirement was not location specific, hence I did not say where can I find birch in this country or that. I'm happy to source from anywhere in there world.

The advice is received was Finnish or Baltic birch, I did further research from there and discovered Baltic birch to be very good quality and went on to seek suppliers and manufactures.

If this is still a grievance for you and some other members then I can stop posting

post #19 of 20 Old 11-23-2017, 05:52 AM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDavid View Post
Wood, my requirement was not location specific, hence I did not say where can I find birch in this country or that. I'm happy to source from anywhere in there world.

The advice is received was Finnish or Baltic birch, I did further research from there and discovered Baltic birch to be very good quality and went on to seek suppliers and manufactures.

If this is still a grievance for you and some other members then I can stop posting
Your willingness to source from anywhere in the world unfortunately doesnt have much bearing on if a supplier will ship to you. If I were looking to buy a bulk quantity of Baltic birch, I'd talk to my local yard and see if they could order in some of the aforementioned Appleply, but I doubt that they would be willing to ship it around the world.

I don't think woodnthings was attacking you personally, its just a fairly common issue to have someone ask "where can I find this", without any idea of where in the world they are. If someone hopped in and ask where to find a cheap power drill I'd tell them Harbor Freight, but that wouldn't help if they were in Canada. All that telling them that would accomplish is a useless post. Its not a personal attack on you, just a general complaint that the quality of an answer given depends on the quality of the question
GeorgeC, woodnthings and Catpower like this.

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
post #20 of 20 Old 11-23-2017, 10:21 AM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
I would like to add that there are many readers of the thread. Even though we did not fully understand @MrDavid's location initially, the thread helped others, too.

That includes me. I have been on a search for flat wood products to have on hand for spur-of-the-moment jigs and projects. I had concluded that Baltic Birch was the best all-around solution for my needs. Then this thread appeared at the perfect time. I hope there is some more discussion about the merits of the different types of birch plywoods, but if not, I learned something anyway.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode