Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum (https://www.woodworkingtalk.com/forum.php)
-   General Woodworking Discussion (https://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f2/)
-   -   Best place to source Birch Plywood? (https://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f2/best-place-source-birch-plywood-185538/)

MrDavid 11-20-2017 11:37 AM

Best place to source Birch Plywood?
 
Hi All,

I'm going to be purchasing a high quantity of Birch Plywood sheets, about 6mm. 50-100 sheets.

Does anyone have any experience in sourcing Birch Plywood?

I'm seeing many countries that supply this, but I know they will be varying qualities and prices.

I'm going to be using it to make small boxes, about 8 x 8 x 5cm - the wood will be laser cut.

Any advice on where I should be looking?

Thanks

Catpower 11-20-2017 12:33 PM

Most any hard wood supplier would fix you up. Baltic Birch is real good plywood, but it comes in 5x5 sheets. If you can locate some Finnish Birch it comes in 4x8 sheets

MrDavid 11-20-2017 01:01 PM

Thanks Catpower - yeah I just did some quick googling and I am seeing good feedback regarding Baltic Birch.

Cheers

BigJim 11-20-2017 01:26 PM

Check out appleply Birch plywood.

Edit* I don't know if they have that kind of plywood in your part of the world.

GeorgeC 11-20-2017 04:56 PM

For small quantities of plywood like you want you will need to find someone local to you.

George

Catpower 11-20-2017 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeorgeC (Post 1804298)
For small quantities of plywood like you want you will need to find someone local to you.

George


50-100 sheets really isn't a small order, actually rather large that a hardwood dealer would welcome

GeorgeC 11-21-2017 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Catpower (Post 1804442)
50-100 sheets really isn't a small order, actually rather large that a hardwood dealer would welcome

It is small in the sense of trying to order it for shipping any distance. Think of it in terms of how many sheets of plywood a yard will sell in a week.

George

woodnthings 11-21-2017 11:26 AM

Where have you looked?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrDavid (Post 1803978)
Hi All,

I'm going to be purchasing a high quantity of Birch Plywood sheets, about 6mm. 50-100 sheets.

Does anyone have any experience in sourcing Birch Plywood?

I'm seeing many countries that supply this, but I know they will be varying qualities and prices.

I'm going to be using it to make small boxes, about 8 x 8 x 5cm - the wood will be laser cut.

Any advice on where I should be looking?

Thanks

If you have looked .....where? Where are you located? WORLD is a very large place and not helpful for referencing sources. If you want help then you have to be more specific. We are not going to do all the research for you. Google "Birch 6mm plywood" and you will find many sources. There is Baltic Birch and Russian Birch. Which do you need?

Rockler and Home Depot carry Baltic Birch:
https://www.homedepot.com/s/baltic%2...plywood?NCNI-5

A local lumber yard may not carry it, but they can order it to save shipping. I've done this many times. The difference between 50 and 100 sheets is significant, so which is it?

MrDavid 11-21-2017 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woodnthings (Post 1804842)
If you have looked .....where? Where are you located? WORLD is a very large place and not helpful for referencing sources. If you want help then you have to be more specific. We are not going to do all the research for you. Google "Birch 6mm plywood" and you will find many sources. There is Baltic Birch and Russian Birch. Which do you need?

Rockler and Home Depot carry Baltic Birch:
https://www.homedepot.com/s/baltic%2...plywood?NCNI-5

A local lumber yard may not carry it, but they can order it to save shipping. I've done this many times. The difference between 50 and 100 sheets is significant, so which is it?

Thanks Woodnthings,

Catpower has helped in advising on Baltic Birch, so I have already started and found a lot of recommendations and starting to find suppliers.

I think 50-100 sheets was mentioned as an idea in terms of volume, so I have now assumed that's big enough to go directly to a manufacturer.

I don't need you to do all the work, just some general tips and I can do the rest - I think I got that from you and the other posters.

Thank you

MrDavid 11-21-2017 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigJim (Post 1804098)
Check out appleply Birch plywood.

Edit* I don't know if they have that kind of plywood in your part of the world.

I'm not sure bigjim, couldn't find anything on google.

Tool Agnostic 11-22-2017 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woodnthings (Post 1804842)
If you have looked .....where? Where are you located? WORLD is a very large place and not helpful for referencing sources. If you want help then you have to be more specific. We are not going to do all the research for you. Google "Birch 6mm plywood" and you will find many sources. There is Baltic Birch and Russian Birch. Which do you need?

Rockler and Home Depot carry Baltic Birch:
https://www.homedepot.com/s/baltic%2...plywood?NCNI-5

A local lumber yard may not carry it, but they can order it to save shipping. I've done this many times. The difference between 50 and 100 sheets is significant, so which is it?

I would like to buy some birch plywood in assorted thicknesses to have on hand for many miscellaneous uses, including jigs, small boxes for the garage, drawer bottoms, and whatever comes to mind.

I thought I wanted Baltic Birch (5 x 5 foot sheets) because it seems the best quality. It might be overkill for jigs and small garage projects, but I can't store every variety of flat sheet for every purpose - I don't have the room in my garage, and SWMBO won't tolerate it.

There is also Russian birch (4 x 8), and the plywoods that showed up in @woodnthings' Home Depot search. Someone also mentioned "Finnish birch", but I have not seen that in my local area (Southern California).

* Can someone explain the differences between the various birch plywood types that have been mentioned?

* Can you help me decide which is the best all-purpose plywood to buy in various thicknesses?

* For those of you with limited wood storage, what flat sheet products do you keep around your shop for ready use?

woodnthings 11-22-2017 10:18 AM

My supplier carries Baltic Birch
 
I have seen it at Home Depot also and all I can say is look for the sheets that are the most flat. I don't know for certain, but there is no significant difference between them.

Read first paragraph:
http://www.wolstenholme.com/plywood-.../baltic-birch/

http://www.russianbirchpanel.com/pro...birch-plywood/

BigJim 11-22-2017 12:55 PM

I think we are looking in the wrong places trying to help Mr. David, he is in Arabia.

woodnthings 11-22-2017 01:52 PM

another wasted search ....
 
This is why it should be mandatory a new member post the country or origin, or a zipcode or the State of residence to avoid giving useless information and searching the USA for stuff that won't get UPS shipped to Arabia? Saudi Arabia? :censored::bangin:

People come asking for advice, free help, sources, but in exchange are too lazy to help in the process by providing the most basic information. That's the reason for my polite but somewhat acerbic reply above and the reason for my signature line.



1
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigJim (Post 1805930)
I think we are looking in the wrong places trying to help Mr. David, he is in Arabia.


GeorgeC 11-22-2017 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigJim (Post 1805930)
I think we are looking in the wrong places trying to help Mr. David, he is in Arabia.

We knew in the beginning that he was not from the US. That is why I told him he had to find someone local to him.

This forum was not the place for what he wanted.

I think we have gotten him confused. He now thinks that 50 to 100 sheets of ply is a large enough order to talk to a manufacturer about.

George

woodnthings 11-22-2017 02:32 PM

How about this...?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigJim (Post 1805930)
I think we are looking in the wrong places trying to help Mr. David, he is in Arabia.


When a new member signs on and posts a thread, the Moderators will look at the ISP location and either make a foot note in the thread or request the member post his location under his user name. No threads will be or replies allowed without this information. If you want to hide from the world, why are you online in the first place? :nerd2:

MrDavid 11-23-2017 02:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigJim (Post 1805930)
I think we are looking in the wrong places trying to help Mr. David, he is in Arabia.

Big Jim, I'm actually between locations, Torquay Devon and Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.

I'm gong to be selling from both locations.

MrDavid 11-23-2017 03:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woodnthings (Post 1805994)
This is why it should be mandatory a new member post the country or origin, or a zipcode or the State of residence to avoid giving useless information and searching the USA for stuff that won't get UPS shipped to Arabia? Saudi Arabia? :censored::bangin:

People come asking for advice, free help, sources, but in exchange are too lazy to help in the process by providing the most basic information. That's the reason for my polite but somewhat acerbic reply above and the reason for my signature line.



1

Wood, my requirement was not location specific, hence I did not say where can I find birch in this country or that. I'm happy to source from anywhere in there world.

The advice is received was Finnish or Baltic birch, I did further research from there and discovered Baltic birch to be very good quality and went on to seek suppliers and manufactures.

If this is still a grievance for you and some other members then I can stop posting

epicfail48 11-23-2017 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrDavid (Post 1806562)
Wood, my requirement was not location specific, hence I did not say where can I find birch in this country or that. I'm happy to source from anywhere in there world.

The advice is received was Finnish or Baltic birch, I did further research from there and discovered Baltic birch to be very good quality and went on to seek suppliers and manufactures.

If this is still a grievance for you and some other members then I can stop posting

Your willingness to source from anywhere in the world unfortunately doesnt have much bearing on if a supplier will ship to you. If I were looking to buy a bulk quantity of Baltic birch, I'd talk to my local yard and see if they could order in some of the aforementioned Appleply, but I doubt that they would be willing to ship it around the world.

I don't think woodnthings was attacking you personally, its just a fairly common issue to have someone ask "where can I find this", without any idea of where in the world they are. If someone hopped in and ask where to find a cheap power drill I'd tell them Harbor Freight, but that wouldn't help if they were in Canada. All that telling them that would accomplish is a useless post. Its not a personal attack on you, just a general complaint that the quality of an answer given depends on the quality of the question

Tool Agnostic 11-23-2017 10:21 AM

I would like to add that there are many readers of the thread. Even though we did not fully understand @MrDavid's location initially, the thread helped others, too.

That includes me. I have been on a search for flat wood products to have on hand for spur-of-the-moment jigs and projects. I had concluded that Baltic Birch was the best all-around solution for my needs. Then this thread appeared at the perfect time. I hope there is some more discussion about the merits of the different types of birch plywoods, but if not, I learned something anyway.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:21 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome