Best location and direction to put air filtration unit? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 13 Old 05-02-2011, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

View mwhals's Photo Album My Photos
Best location and direction to put air filtration unit?

Where is the best place to put the air filtration unit? I am thinking in the open space on the ceiling in front of the tractor. When I am using my table saw, it is placed where the truck is parked. It is connected to a 2 micron dust collector. I was standing at the entrance to the house when I took the below photo. Which direction should I put the intake and discharge of the unit and which location based on where I use my power tools (truck location) and where the house entrance is located (lower left corner of picture)?

I would like to plug it into an outlet for one of the garage door openers. The second door and opener and to the right of the tractor and not in the picture.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 05-03-2011, 08:16 AM Thread Starter

No experience with this? I will just mount it and see what happens.
post #3 of 13 Old 05-03-2011, 08:34 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Hang on there.....

My Jet 1000 AFS? has 3 speeds and puts a lot of air out on high speed. you want it centered on the space as much as possible ...or centered over the dust makers to allow a circulating movement of air. I have no experience other than that. I don't think it terribly critical. bill
this one: http://www.amazon.com/708620B-AFS-1000B-Filtration-Electrostatic-Pre-Filter/dp/B00004R9LO

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 05-04-2011 at 04:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 05-03-2011, 09:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings
My Jet 1000 AFS? has 3 speeds and put a lot of air out on high speed. you want it centered on the space as much as possible ...or centered over the dust makers to allow a circulating movement of air. I have no experience other than that. I don't think it terribly critical. bill
this one: Video Link: http://www.amazon.com/708620B-AFS-1000B-Filtration-Electrostatic-Pre-Filter/dp/B00004R9LO
I have the same model. I am thinking of putting the intake towards the truck with the output towards the door to the house. Alternately, the discharge could be toward the back of the garage. It will be centered since it is the only area without garage door tracks or lights.

Last edited by mwhals; 05-03-2011 at 12:09 PM.
post #5 of 13 Old 05-04-2011, 12:01 AM

View Itchy Brother's Photo Album My Photos
When I installed mine the directions said that you should position it so it will cause the air to move in a circular motion in the shop.You dont want the exhaust to blow squarely into a wall or corner or you lose the circular motion.Kinda hard to explain.

***For the record*** Ive made hundreds of guitar bodies,never put one together and cant play a note.
post #6 of 13 Old 05-04-2011, 05:40 AM
Really underground garage

View BWSmith's Photo Album My Photos
Yeah,what he said.......circular air flow.BW

Those who say it cannot be done shouldn't interrupt the people doing it.
post #7 of 13 Old 05-04-2011, 01:05 PM
Thumb Nailer

View dbhost's Photo Album My Photos
Grizzly recommends that you angle the air filter sort of toward a corner, in order to set up a ciruclar air flow in the shop space. That's what I did, and I am pleased beyond words with the results. So assuming you have an open space, say somewhere near that garage door opener by the tractor, that you could set your angle up you should be good to go!

I gotta ask, did you lower that Chevy? I can't even force my F-150 under the door to my garage, hence why it became all shop...

Interested in my woodworking, workshop and whatnot? See http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com, want to see my other interests such as hunting, fishing, off roading, and camping? See http://wildersport-outdoors.blogspot.com
post #8 of 13 Old 05-04-2011, 01:47 PM

View MrWoodworking's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbhost View Post
can't even force my F-150 under the door to my garage, hence why it became all shop...
You actually needed an excuse to make it all shop?

Signature removed by rrbrown
post #9 of 13 Old 05-04-2011, 01:55 PM
Thumb Nailer

View dbhost's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWoodworking View Post
You actually needed an excuse to make it all shop?
Not exactly, but it did influence tool decisions... My garage is painfully small. Even if I could fit the truck in height wise, I can't length. I used to have a standard cab, standard bed Ranger that barely fit. My super cab F150 is substantially longer...

The plan from here is to build a garden shed in the back yard for all the non woodworking or auto repair stuff. If the garage would have been useful as a garage, I would be building a larger shed and use that instead as a woodworking shop... I probably would have opted for a small bench top lathe instead of a floor model, I would have stayed with the standard rails on my table saw instead of adding the extensions etc..

Interested in my woodworking, workshop and whatnot? See http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com, want to see my other interests such as hunting, fishing, off roading, and camping? See http://wildersport-outdoors.blogspot.com

Last edited by dbhost; 05-04-2011 at 01:57 PM.
post #10 of 13 Old 05-04-2011, 02:30 PM

View DPJeansonne's Photo Album My Photos
location of filtration unit

MY understanding is to create the circular motion also. You should mount it at ceiling and along the long wall about 1/3 the way from the shorter wall and no less than 4 -6" from wall.
You should also consider having it draw the dust away from you when you work and not have you between the work and the filter.

Be sure you do the very best job you can at dust collection at the tool source of dust!

Hope this helps.
post #11 of 13 Old 05-04-2011, 05:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbhost
I gotta ask, did you lower that Chevy? I can't even force my F-150 under the door to my garage, hence why it became all shop...
My garage door is 8' tall and the ceilings are 9.5 feet tall. The garage is 26.5 feet deep and 31 feet wide. I have had a 4 door Dodge 3500 dually long bed 4 wd truck in a garage with a 7' door and 8' ceilings that was 27' deep in our old house.
post #12 of 13 Old 05-04-2011, 05:58 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the ideas. I can't get it close to the long wall, but I can point it toward a corner, which would actually be the door to the house.
post #13 of 13 Old 05-07-2011, 08:17 AM Thread Starter

It is hung pulling with the discharge toward the back of the garage with the suction toward the tractor, It is about two thirds toward the other side of the garage due to it being the best place physically for it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode