Best glue for under cabinet lights - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 23 Old 08-19-2015, 02:44 PM Thread Starter

View MikeP1234's Photo Album My Photos
Best glue for under cabinet lights

Hi, I'm new here. I am almost done making new kitchen cabinets. They are made with fir and I have routed a 3/4" groove in the bottom of the uppers to accept aluminum channel for led strip lights. What would be the best glue to attach the channeling with? I'm not quite sure what will last the longest.

Thanks for any help,

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 08-19-2015, 02:49 PM

View MattS's Photo Album My Photos
Hi Mike,

JB Weld would work well, as would many two-part epoxies (read the label - if they say aluminum and wood you should be good). You won't need to fill the entire groove with it, likely a good blob ever 6-10 inches depending on how long the cabinet is. That's how I'd do it anyway, but I haven't attempted it before. Good luck!
post #3 of 23 Old 08-19-2015, 03:00 PM

View NickDIY's Photo Album My Photos
You may also consider using a high quality 2 way tape. The 3m VHB tape is pretty amazing. If you've ever seen trailers that the sheet metal skin doesn't have screws, it's probably held together by this stuff... at highway speeds...
The Following User Says Thank You to NickDIY For This Useful Post:
mikeswoods (08-20-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 08-19-2015, 04:32 PM

View MattS's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickDIY View Post
You may also consider using a high quality 2 way tape. The 3m VHB tape is pretty amazing. If you've ever seen trailers that the sheet metal skin doesn't have screws, it's probably held together by this stuff... at highway speeds...
Wow, that stuff is insane. I just did some googling, I am using some of this stuff at the first opportunity.
post #5 of 23 Old 08-19-2015, 04:50 PM

View woodchux's Photo Album My Photos
Great advice from previous posts, but also consider the installation instructions on the light package may give you what works best with that product. Be safe.
post #6 of 23 Old 08-19-2015, 04:53 PM

View bauerbach's Photo Album My Photos
not alot of stress in this application... you could probably do it with just about any glue FWIW. So the right answer might just be whatever you have on hand.
post #7 of 23 Old 08-19-2015, 04:57 PM

View phoenixbound's Photo Album My Photos
VHB is the bomb! I have a roll of that stuff and it's amazing.
post #8 of 23 Old 08-19-2015, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replys, I'm just trying to figure out the best way to keep them up the longest. I want them not to start popping off in 5-6 years. This is a second home that I'm restoring(circa 1906). It's a four hour drive, so I'm trying to do everything once and once only. Lots of good feedback so far, Thanks, I really appreciate it. The cabinets are being hand made with the cut for the lights drilled from the back within the 3/4" bottom to conceal everything. Should look nice when installed.

Any other suggestions would help me choosing. I'll post some pics when there in, should be next Friday.

Thanks Again,

Mike
post #9 of 23 Old 08-19-2015, 09:27 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
I believe I would use something not so permanent since lights wear out. Maybe some small brad nails or two sided tape. The led lights don't get hot so you might get away with using hot melt glue. It's easily removable if the need arose
post #10 of 23 Old 08-19-2015, 11:26 PM

View Hammer1's Photo Album My Photos
Never install anything that can't be easily removed. This is a tutorial on LED installation. They use the 3M Command strips for attachment.
http://www.flexfireleds.com/how-to-i...t-led-install/
post #11 of 23 Old 08-20-2015, 12:14 AM

View hwebb99's Photo Album My Photos
I'd probably drill a few small holes and screw it up. Screws will hold as long as it takes the wood to rot, and are easy to remove.
post #12 of 23 Old 08-20-2015, 12:42 AM

View Hammer1's Photo Album My Photos
You can't put any screws or fasteners through an LED strip.
post #13 of 23 Old 08-20-2015, 05:44 AM

View Danno's Photo Album My Photos
At work we use double sided foam tape. Usually the led strip comes with a strip of tape already attached, but if the lights are on for long enough, they'll get warm enough to release the tape. Sticking the factory tape to the foam tape seems to give a stronger bond.

For easy removal in case of a problem, we stick the lights to a strip of Dibond cut wide enough to screw to the cabinet. The Dibond is smooth enough that the tape sticks well.
post #14 of 23 Old 08-20-2015, 06:36 AM

View MEP1's Photo Album My Photos
I use this stuff all the time:

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?...llow&cId=PDIO1

It's incredibly strong and heat resistant but not permanent if you need to remove it in the future.
post #15 of 23 Old 08-20-2015, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

I am not mounting the lights to the cabinet, I'm recessing an aluminum mounting channel with a lens into the bottom of the cabinets, that is what I am trying to figure out what to mount with. The lights get double stuck taped into the channel. The clear or frosted lens comes out for easy access to the lights if needed.

Thanks,

Mike
post #16 of 23 Old 08-20-2015, 05:00 PM

View MEP1's Photo Album My Photos
The double-stick tape will still work to mount the channel, but it sounds like you could use screws.
post #17 of 23 Old 08-20-2015, 05:25 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
I believe I would use something not so permanent since lights wear out. Maybe some small brad nails or two sided tape. The led lights don't get hot so you might get away with using hot melt glue. It's easily removable if the need arose
+1: on the hot melt glue.
post #18 of 23 Old 08-20-2015, 08:59 PM
Uncle Fester

View unclefester's Photo Album My Photos
I think I did a similar installation in the toe kick of kitchen cabinets. Hot glue did no work for me.
I ended up screwing the channel to the back of the tie kick. LED tape lights were held in with 3m double face rape and has held for three years running. Lens snaps into place.
I have used the same for inside glass cabinets and no issues.

Cut it twice, measure once and it's still too short.
post #19 of 23 Old 08-20-2015, 09:10 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
I do not understand why you would not just use screws.

George
post #20 of 23 Old 08-20-2015, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

I'm not mounting the LEDs directly to the bottom of the cabinets. I have routed a mounting channel in the bottoms to accept an aluminum mounting channel with a cover flush to the bottom to install the led lights within. After routing the 3/4" bottoms, no depth left for screws.the led strips will be affixed inside the channel with the 3M tape affixed to them. I will always be able to access the LEDs, I'm trying to figure out the most effect and longest lasting way to attach the aluminum channel.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode