Best finish for kitchen cabinets - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 06-05-2017, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

View familyman's Photo Album My Photos
Best finish for kitchen cabinets

Hi everyone,

I'm currently in the final phase of building my own home.

My wife and I want to have our kitchen cabinets painted. The problem is that we are not getting the same advice from different painters as far as what finish would be best.

First, the guy at Sherwin-Williams said he would use their best latex. Didn't seem right to me as it's so soft and can peel. But I'm usually wrong.

Second, the cabinet maker said most people have been using colored lacquer. About half the painters I spoke with said they like it for kitchen cabinets, however I'm in a fairly rural town and having a bit of a time finding a painter that says they are proficient with it.

Third, the other half say to use oil based.

We will be in the house for about 6-7 years only, but I want them to hold up for the next buyer too.

Can you guys help me out here. Much appreciated!

Thanks so much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-05-2017, 02:09 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
I'm in that half that prefers an oil based paint for kitchen and baths.
I know Latex paints have come a long way and many prefer it because it is so easy to clean-up, dries faster and doesn't smell quite as bad. But a good oil base is about as durable as it gets. And a kitchen takes a lot of abuse.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
post #3 of 8 Old 06-05-2017, 02:36 PM

View Brian(J)'s Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by familyman View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm currently in the final phase of building my own home.

My wife and I want to have our kitchen cabinets painted. The problem is that we are not getting the same advice from different painters as far as what finish would be best.

First, the guy at Sherwin-Williams said he would use their best latex. Didn't seem right to me as it's so soft and can peel. But I'm usually wrong.

Second, the cabinet maker said most people have been using colored lacquer. About half the painters I spoke with said they like it for kitchen cabinets, however I'm in a fairly rural town and having a bit of a time finding a painter that says they are proficient with it.

Third, the other half say to use oil based.

We will be in the house for about 6-7 years only, but I want them to hold up for the next buyer too.

Can you guys help me out here. Much appreciated!

Thanks so much!
It's fairly common for higher end house painters to roll latex on wall but spray Lacquer on the doors. They plastic off an area in the garage for a spray booth. I guess one reason is no brush marks, another is a tougher finish?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 06-05-2017, 03:52 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
You don't want to use latex. It's too easily stained and many of them really never dry. You sit a can of beans on a shelf for a couple weeks and you practically need a hammer to get the can loose from the shelf. I have some cabinets in my shop that were old when I removed them from a customers house about 10 years ago and stuff still sticks to the shelves.

Lacquer would be better however pigmented lacquers are a type of lacquer known as nitrocellulose. It will work well but you have to be careful to keep them dry. Places like in front of a sink where people normally let water run down the front of the cabinet the finish could start flaking and pealing in as little as two years. It also has to be sprayed.

There is nothing wrong with using an oil based enamel with the exception of the odor. The inside of the cabinets could smell like wet paint for a couple months. Once you get past that it would wear very well.

Really the best finish for cabinets is a pigmented conversion varnish. It would work more like lacquer and dry quickly with the odors dissipating pretty quickly. It will wear better than oil based enamel but the finish has to be sprayed.
post #5 of 8 Old 06-05-2017, 04:26 PM

View MT Stringer's Photo Album My Photos
If it is not too late, have the cabinet boxes built using pre finished birch or maple plywood. Then all you have to do is paint the face frames, doors and drawer fronts. Note: We went with knotty alder, Colonial Maple finish with Van Dyke glaze on the fronts.

That's what I did. Going on three years and no problems with anything sticking. The plywood resembles the stuff you see inside the cabinets that are factory built.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-08-14 21.15.01.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	298369  

Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-08-21 19.07.39.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	298385  

Attached Images

post #6 of 8 Old 06-06-2017, 08:18 PM
Former Member

View 35015's Photo Album My Photos
Hello Familyman,

Getting advice on finishes is tough...

Most are either trying to sell something, or giving you more opinion based on limited experience (or experience that is very narrow in scope.)

I like to think my "scope" is a lot broader than most as I have studied finishes for a long time, and make most of my own from raw material. Nevertheless, I would be remiss not to own my own very restricted basis...I only use traditional finishes...Why? Mainly because I have yet to see a modern finish that comes closes to what traditional finishes offer in the way of durability...ability to age gracefully while developing nice patinas...and they certain refinish (when wanting to) better than any modern finish can since most of the plastic based modern finishes (latex, polys, etc) change the character of the wood forever and/or can't really be refinished effectively.

With that said...I would recommend a tradtional oil based paint if you care for such a thing or a simple traditional Casein Paint of your color choice...The company I have worked with for decades...The Real Milk Paint Company...

Good Luck!
post #7 of 8 Old 06-06-2017, 10:33 PM
Senior Sawdust Producer

View Leo G's Photo Album My Photos
If you have the capabilities spray conversion varnish. If you can only brush then you'd probably be best to use an Alkyd Enamel. This will dry hard in about 30 days and you won't have any sticking problem like you will with latex.

Target coatings make waterborne lacquers that I believe you can brush on. Best sprayed, but still brushable.

Measure Twice Cut Once -- It's a lot easier to cut more off then it is to cut MORON.
Finishing is 3 parts chemistry and 1 part VooDoo http://lrgwood.com
post #8 of 8 Old 06-09-2017, 09:52 PM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
+1 on the conversion varnish. Easy to spray, dries fast like lacquer, but much harder finish, very durable.
Mike Hawkins

Tags
colored lacquer, kitchen cabinets, paint

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode