best filter for filtering shellac? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 02-26-2013, 03:04 PM Thread Starter

View Quickstep's Photo Album My Photos
best filter for filtering shellac?

I'm making spirit varnish (basically shellac with some additives).
So far, I can tell that my brew has some crud in it from the shellac as well as some suspended particles. I'm wondering what is the finest filtering medium I can use that will filter out the stuff I don't want, clarifying the finish as much as possible, while still allowing the finish to pass through. I've tried disposible coffee filters with other finishes, but it seems that the coffee filters are just to fine; the finish won't pass through.

I've recently read acounts from folks who have used panty hose, cheesecloth, re-usable gold mesh coffee filters and regular cone type paint filters. So, what's the finest filter medium I can use to filter out the most crud wheil still allowingthe finish to pass through?

It would be nice if panty hose and coffee filters included a micron rating :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-26-2013, 03:30 PM

View trc65's Photo Album My Photos
I've used coffee filters with shellac with no problems. I can see how coffee filters wouldn't work well with some oil or other "thick" finishes, but shellac dissolved in alcohol is very "thin" and for me worked fine. It may not work as well depending on what other things you are adding to the mix.

"Good Behavior is the last refuge of mediocrity" -- Henry S. Haskins
post #3 of 6 Old 02-26-2013, 04:17 PM

View Bill White's Photo Album My Photos
Put a bag over your head, go to the store and buy some panty hose. Leave the bag off if you're really macho.
Strain the shellac through the hose.
Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 02-26-2013, 04:28 PM

View Dave Paine's Photo Album My Photos
I have only made shellac from flakes once. I used a coffee filter. Worked well. I still have flakes, but now like the convenience of the pre-mixed shellac.

You asked for "the finest". Two ways to get fine filtering, small pore size, or large filter bed.

If you want to go the large filter bed method look at aquarium filter media, like this stuff.

http://www.petco.com/product/5294/Lo...t=OnSiteSearch
post #5 of 6 Old 02-26-2013, 05:35 PM

View Fred Hargis's Photo Album My Photos
I use HF finish strainers, $5 for 100 so they don't break the bank. I use the ones labeled 100-120 mesh, and they are fairly tight and do a great job.

"I long for the days when coke was a cola and a joint was a bad place to be" (Merle Haggard)

Last edited by Fred Hargis; 02-28-2013 at 12:02 PM. Reason: correction
post #6 of 6 Old 02-26-2013, 06:07 PM Thread Starter

View Quickstep's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by trc65 View Post
I've used coffee filters with shellac with no problems. I can see how coffee filters wouldn't work well with some oil or other "thick" finishes, but shellac dissolved in alcohol is very "thin" and for me worked fine. It may not work as well depending on what other things you are adding to the mix.
Dang! I just tried it with some old shellac (not the stuff I need to filter) and darn if it didn't flow through! and quite clear too!

I think I'll need to pre-filter the big crud from my spirit varnish to prevent clogging the coffee filter, but it looks like I've got a readily available inexpensive alternative. Thanks for the advice.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode