Best Cutting board wood types - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 9 Old 11-23-2013, 01:45 AM Thread Starter

View JakeAnderton920's Photo Album My Photos
Best Cutting board wood types

What are the best types of wood for:

• End-grain cutting boards?
• Face-grain cutting boards?

I currently have for use, Elm, Ash, Black Walnut and Maple and trying to get suggestions.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-23-2013, 09:59 AM

View wood_chucker's Photo Album My Photos
Walnut and maple work well. The ash is open pores like oak so its not really the beat choice. And sorry I do.t know a thing about elm never worked with it. Or even seen an at the lumber yard actually.
post #3 of 9 Old 11-23-2013, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

View JakeAnderton920's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by wood_chucker
Walnut and maple work well. The ash is open pores like oak so its not really the beat choice. And sorry I do.t know a thing about elm never worked with it. Or even seen an at the lumber yard actually.
I have a lot of elm and am not sure if I can use it or not - hence the question.

Can anyone help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 11-23-2013, 10:29 AM

Well after doing a little bit of reading it appearance elm too us an open grained wood which would make it not a good option for cutting boards or other items that will see food and water.

Google is your friend.
post #5 of 9 Old 11-23-2013, 05:48 PM

View MNsawyergp's Photo Album My Photos
I looked Elm up in my copy of "Encyclopedia of Wood" (http://www.amazon.com/The-Encyclopedia-Wood-Tree-By-Tree-Versatile/dp/0816061815). It says: "American Elm is used in boat and ship building for stern posts, ribs, general framing, gunwales, bilge stringers, keels, rubbing strips, and components that are completely submerged in water; also for underwater parts in dock and harbour work. Other uses are wheel hubs, blades of ice hockey sticks, agricultural implements, chair rockers, gym equip., bent work for car bodies and ladder rungs, It is excellent for turning, and can be sliced for decorative veneers and burls. White Elm has high, and Rock Elm has very high resistance to shock loads."

So, even though it doesn't mention cutting boards, I would think it would work fine, seeing it can withstand water and is very durable. That is just my guess, since I have not used it.
post #6 of 9 Old 11-23-2013, 06:13 PM

I'm not sure about elm but the reason you don't use oak or ash is because of the open grain. Food particles can get stuck in them and eventually turn it black. If elm has similar open grain I would think it would be the same, but there is only one way to find out. If you got plenty of the stuff just give it a whirl. If it doesn't work out maybe you can use it as a trivet or something lol.
post #7 of 9 Old 11-23-2013, 08:13 PM
Wood Snob

View Al B Thayer's Photo Album My Photos
I've made them out of maple and one out of poplar. I think maple is by far the best but I also make them out of bamboo. Which of course is not wood. The ones out of bamboo are thin. 1/2" thick about 20" Long and 14" wide. I treated them with nothing and they work great. I know guys lament over what to finish and treat them with here about every week but nothing has worked great for me for over 35 years.

Al

Nails only hold themselves.

post #8 of 9 Old 11-23-2013, 08:31 PM

View yank's Photo Album My Photos
I use walnut, cherry and maple for my cutting boards.

My father was my inspiration for woodworking, wish he was still around for more advice. Luv ya Dad.
post #9 of 9 Old 11-23-2013, 08:33 PM

View Tilaran's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Skype™ to Tilaran
I use face grain Honduran Mahogany and Bocote...lately.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode