Best bit for 2 3/8" hole for lights - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 9 Old 09-25-2015, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

View ponch37300's Photo Album My Photos
Best bit for 2 3/8" hole for lights

Just wondering if a hole saw or self feeding bit would be better for drilling 2 3/8" holes into 3/4" thick
wood for installing some little puck lights?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-25-2015, 02:34 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
Hole saw
The Following User Says Thank You to Toolman50 For This Useful Post:
MT Stringer (09-25-2015)
post #3 of 9 Old 09-25-2015, 07:36 PM

View MEP1's Photo Album My Photos
Make sure you drill only partway from one side then finish your hole from the other - a hole saw tends to make a mess when it comes through.
The Following User Says Thank You to MEP1 For This Useful Post:
mikeswoods (09-25-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 09-25-2015, 08:18 PM

View hwebb99's Photo Album My Photos
A self feeding bit makes a terrible hole, but drills extremely fast. A hole saw makes a pretty good hole if drilled from both sides. A forstner bit makes the best hole.
post #5 of 9 Old 09-25-2015, 09:45 PM

View mikeswoods's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwebb99 View Post
A A forstner bit makes the best hole.
Forsners will wander unless used in a drill press or kept in place with a predrilled block clamped in place.(they are the cleanest cutting of the three mentioned)
post #6 of 9 Old 09-25-2015, 10:27 PM Thread Starter

My forstners only go up to 2" I think. And from a quick internet search the box stores don't have bigger sizes. But they have self feeding bits that big. So self feeding bits are out and can't get a forstner bit locally so a hole saw it is. Thanks.

Thanks for your help
The Following User Says Thank You to ponch37300 For This Useful Post:
mikeswoods (09-26-2015)
post #7 of 9 Old 09-26-2015, 02:27 AM

View ORBlackFZ1's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponch37300 View Post
Just wondering if a hole saw or self feeding bit would be better for drilling 2 3/8" holes into 3/4" thick
wood for installing some little puck lights?
A router with a template guide works also. It will produce a very smooth edge. You can use a flush trim router bit or a rabbet bit, depending on what size hole your template is.

If you have a template hole that is the size of the hole you want a flush trim router bit works great.

If your template hole is say 2" diameter, then you can use a rabbet bit with a bearing that is 3/8" diameter smaller than the diameter of the rabbet bit.

Eric
The Following User Says Thank You to ORBlackFZ1 For This Useful Post:
mikeswoods (09-26-2015)
post #8 of 9 Old 09-27-2015, 11:36 AM

View Hammer1's Photo Album My Photos
Weather station components require a 2 3/8" hole. This Forstner bit works best in a drill press but can be used by hand. Forstner bits are available in large sizes. http://www.rockler.com/individual-st...bits-1-2-shank
It will not wander but you need to be in a good position to put enough pressure on the bit to make it cut. A hole saw will leave a center plug if not drilled all the way through. Generally, light puck holes are not drilled through. Never use a self feeding bit in a drill press, it will suck the work up off the table and spin it around. Many pucks are surface mounted. Make sure you read the installation instructions, some lights can get very hot and should not be recessed.
post #9 of 9 Old 09-29-2015, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

I ended up using a hole saw which worked out pretty good. I couldn't find a forstner bit that big locally so just went with a hole saw. I used a cordless drill since the shelf was already built so couldn't use a drill press. Or a router either.

The puck lights I got are LED so they don't get hot at all. I wanted to recess them so they weren't hanging down. The top of the shelf doesn't look the best with the hole with the light showing and wires but I think it looks better then surface mounting the lights and I'm going to have bottles in front of the holes so you won't see them.

Thanks again for the advice.

Thanks for your help

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode