Which bench plane to get? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By renraw9002

post #1 of 12 Old 10-07-2017, 01:13 PM Thread Starter

View renraw9002's Photo Album My Photos
Which bench plane to get?

I'm primarily a power tool user, but I'm looking to add a bench plane to my tool box. I have a block plane and after some time with it I'd like something else. I'll probably just use it to smooth things out after using the electric hand plane or belt sander for rough stock. I was leaning towards the low angle Jack due to its versatility, but I'm not sure anymore since it'll be used primarily for final smoothing before dye or stain and finish are applied
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 10-07-2017, 01:37 PM
Master firewood maker

View Chris Curl's Photo Album My Photos
Sounds like a #4 is just right for you. Stanley/Bailey.

... turning perfectly good wood into firewood every day ... :smile3:
post #3 of 12 Old 10-08-2017, 02:02 PM Thread Starter

I'm debating on whether I'll ever use a plane for shooting end grain. I'm new to hand tools. I grew up using power tools for everything so that's what I'm comfortable with so who knows what I'll do as my woodworking grows. Atm I usually just hand sand the ends and sides.

Should I try to find an old plane and restore it or say screw it and buy a new one from either woodriver, veritas, or lie Nielsen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 10-08-2017, 06:25 PM

View allpurpose's Photo Album My Photos
Depends on how much you want to spend I suppose, you can nab a very nice old Stanley on ebay for $50 and under. There's plenty in great shape and sharp enough right from the get go..
After all if your primary goal is to spend as much money as possible I'm sure there's plenty of people willing to give you an expensive ride to the cleaners.. Heck, drop by my place if you really want to get taken to the cleaners..
I would definitely avoid any new Stanley's. I bit a few times and never will again. Old Stanleys pre 70s are generally fine tools.

I figured it's time to change my signature so hold your breath. This is it.
Impressive, huh?
post #5 of 12 Old 10-08-2017, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

Yea I've definitely seen the reviews saying to pass on newer Stanleys. Think I'm gonna take a trip to my local klingspor and check out all of their antique planes. Was thinking either get an old plane and restore it or get a new veritas or lie Nielsen low angle Jack plane and just get multiple blades for it.
post #6 of 12 Old 10-09-2017, 12:39 AM Thread Starter

What do you guys think of this? I'm thinking of bidding on it. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Stan...-/142532396787
post #7 of 12 Old 10-09-2017, 10:53 AM

View highfigh's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by renraw9002 View Post
What do you guys think of this? I'm thinking of bidding on it. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Stan...-/142532396787
That looks like a Bailey, not a Bedrock. Bedrock had a flat top at the high point of the cheeks (the sides) and they didn't use the same numbering system (a #4 Bailey equivalent would be a 604 if it was a Bedrock).

Looks like a nice plane, though- that vintage is sometimes called 'low knob' because of its height and shape. BTW- the tote (handle) and knob are made of Brazilian Rosewood.

Here's a link that probably has more info than you want, but it's good to know-

http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan15.htm

If you google 'clean and tuning hand plane', you'll be able to make very thin shavings, even from difficult wood.
post #8 of 12 Old 10-09-2017, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

Weird. Wonder why it says bedrock on the one part than. Unless they frankensteined it together. Or it's from before they started labeling bedrocks with 60 before the number plane it is.
post #9 of 12 Old 10-09-2017, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

There was another one I saw that looked like the current owner already cleaned it up and worked on the sole. Of course now that I wanted to talk about it I can't find it.
post #10 of 12 Old 10-10-2017, 01:01 PM

View P89DC's Photo Album My Photos
The cap iron is a pre-1910 Bedrock "three line". Back then the body was the same as standard rounded side Bailey; later on Stanley added the flat top sides to distinguish the more expensive Bedrock version (and changed to a two line cap iron). I don't know enough about Bedrocks to say if that plane is a honest Bedrock or a Bailey with a Bedrock cap iron.

http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan15.htm

Last edited by P89DC; 10-10-2017 at 01:05 PM.
post #11 of 12 Old 10-13-2017, 08:36 PM Thread Starter

Spent $65 for all 3 of these at a garage sale. The bedrock is in great condition. All screws and knobs are easy to turn, the lateral adjustment works perfectly, the bottom was flat. Just a little surface rust, no pitting at all. The Fulton and sweetheart were just icing on the cake. if I can get those in working order all the better, but the Fulton definitely needs more tlc.
Attached Images

post #12 of 12 Old 10-20-2017, 01:59 AM Thread Starter

Got this pretty much done. Only thing left is to work on the sole and sides.
Attached Images

Chris Curl likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode