Bench dog holes, and roller stands - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 18 Old 05-18-2011, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

View amckenzie4's Photo Album My Photos
Bench dog holes, and roller stands

So I've got two questions.

1) Bench dog holes. I'm about to build a new workbench (I expect to pick up the first round of lumber tonight), and I plan to punch holes in it for dogs, and whatever other accessories I end up acquiring. Is there a standard size? My expectation is to use a forstner bit, and either a drill press before assembly or a hand drill with a drill guide after assembly, but I'd like to get the holes the right size.

2) When I started building carts for my shop tools (SCMS and drill press so far), I didn't think much about support for long pieces, and just made them the height I was comfortable working at. For the SCMS, that's not a problem. For the drill press, I'm winding up with a table height between 45 and 50 inches, which is taller than just about any support I've been able to find. Does anyone have personal experience with a roller support (or equivalent) that tall?

Thanks, all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 05-18-2011, 06:27 PM

View Wrangler's Photo Album My Photos
The most typical size for holes for bench dogs, hold fasts, etc. is 3/4".
post #3 of 18 Old 05-18-2011, 06:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrangler View Post
The most typical size for holes for bench dogs, hold fasts, etc. is 3/4".
Thanks... that's what I seemed to be seeing, but I figured I should confirm before getting ready to actually make the holes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 05-18-2011, 10:09 PM

View TGRANT's Photo Album My Photos
You might consider buying the dogs you want before you actually cut. I always try to avoid unpleasant surprises!
post #5 of 18 Old 05-18-2011, 11:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGRANT View Post
You might consider buying the dogs you want before you actually cut. I always try to avoid unpleasant surprises!
A good idea, but, well... my wallet doesn't like it. If I can only have the bench dogs or the bench, I'll be building the bench first... I can always make tools that use the holes out of scrap, but I can't make much use of the dogs without the bench.
post #6 of 18 Old 05-19-2011, 12:39 AM

View Wrangler's Photo Album My Photos
I understand! I built the bench first, drilled 3/4" holes, then made dogs and a few fixtures using 3/4" dowel.
post #7 of 18 Old 05-19-2011, 07:58 AM

View TGRANT's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
I understand! I built the bench first, drilled 3/4" holes, then made dogs and a few fixtures using 3/4" dowel.
Good point. Dogs can be made out of wood. The wood ones might be better in that they won't damage a plane or chisel when you slip. Notice I used ‘when’, not ‘if’.
post #8 of 18 Old 05-19-2011, 09:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGRANT View Post
Good point. Dogs can be made out of wood. The wood ones might be better in that they won't damage a plane or chisel when you slip. Notice I used ‘when’, not ‘if’.
Very sensible... and as you say, it really is a question of when I slip. I think I've got a chunk of 3/4" dowel left over from another project (it might be 1", though... I'll have to check), so that would be a good place to start.
post #9 of 18 Old 05-19-2011, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

I picked up one of the Ridgid flip-top supports while I was buying lumber last night. It's not perfect (I'd like another 3-4 inches of height), but I figure I can build some blocks for it to stand securely on to add those few inches.

Construction should start tonight, I hope!
post #10 of 18 Old 05-19-2011, 02:48 PM
No Longer Here

View frankp's Photo Album My Photos
I don't know about bench dogs because I don't use them and built a "new fangled workbench" which has other options instead. As for roller stand height, I built one of those also and mines a little "wobbly" at that height but still completely usable as a support stand. Once there's weight on it, the wobble isn't any kind of issue. I suspect commercial options also don't have the same issues I have with mine. Next time I'll just buy a longer drill bit and won't have the problem at all.
post #11 of 18 Old 05-19-2011, 08:44 PM

View dodgeboy77's Photo Album My Photos
<< Next time I'll just buy a longer drill bit and won't have the problem at all. >>

You made me snort my drink out my nose!
post #12 of 18 Old 05-20-2011, 02:23 AM

View johnnie52's Photo Album My Photos
I saw something today on the Woodsmith Shop that I think I'm going to try for supporting long pieces on the drill press. All it took was a long piece of aluminum angle with a couple of "pads" screwed to the ends and then clamped to the drill press table. The pads went under the angle to make them level with the table. Seems to me that would be cheaper and more stable than tall roller stands.

If Woodworking is so much fun why isn't it called WoodFUNNING?

I've made a few videos
http://www.youtube.com/user/johnnie52
post #13 of 18 Old 05-20-2011, 02:44 AM
Chester's Gorilla

View Streamwinner's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Exactly. I never really understood the need to buy dogs. Making them is not only stupidly easy but you can make them completely customized to what you need.
post #14 of 18 Old 05-20-2011, 09:32 AM

View Gerry KIERNAN's Photo Album My Photos
I finished my workbench over a year ago, but as yet I have not put in holes for bench dogs. I have a set of bench dogs, but so far I haven't needed them. When I feel I need them I will know where to drill the holes.

Gerry
post #15 of 18 Old 05-20-2011, 11:05 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by amckenzie4 View Post
So I've got two questions.

1) Bench dog holes. ....

2) When I started building carts for my shop tools (SCMS and drill press so far), I didn't think much about support for long pieces, and just made them the height I was comfortable working at. For the SCMS, that's not a problem. For the drill press, I'm winding up with a table height between 45 and 50 inches, which is taller than just about any support I've been able to find. Does anyone have personal experience with a roller support (or equivalent) that tall? Thanks, all!
That's a tall order!
Roller stands are a Murhpy's Law and Gravity situation ready to go into action....if it can fall over it will and Newton's Law of Gravity takes over from there.
A saw horse with a 2" x 12" clamped at the right height will be more stable. Just round over the ends with a large radius bit.
I've made my own very heavy duty roller stands with some Mig welding involved, but not for everyone.

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f24/r...r-spent-12651/
These stands have the best base I've seen, very stable.
Nothing you couldn't make however.

I guess my approach would be a storage cabinet on casters that would double as a support. You can lock or wedge the casters so it won't move and you just added storage for tools, hardware, router stuff. Make 2, an iniey and an outtie or left and right hand. bill

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 05-20-2011 at 11:11 AM.
post #16 of 18 Old 05-20-2011, 11:50 AM Thread Starter

Bill, that's a heck of a stand!

That thread is the one that convinced me to pick up a ridgid flip-top stand... It's only about three inches shorter than I need (and about 4 inches shorter than I want), so I should be able to boost it a few inches without too much added instability. It's tall enough to use with my chop saw, RAS, and table saw... it's just the drill press that's a problem. I unfortunately don't currently have space for another storage cabinet, but when I do, I may well go that way. Or I'll just find somewhere else to put my current drill press stand, and build a shorter one for it....
post #17 of 18 Old 05-22-2011, 10:00 AM

View papagreg's Photo Album My Photos
I clamp a plywood T jig to a saw horse for supporting long stock on the drill press when needed. I use the roller stands for long stock that is fed through a blade.
post #18 of 18 Old 05-22-2011, 12:02 PM

View dodgeboy77's Photo Album My Photos
Bill,

Is it true that you also use your home-made roller stand as a jack stand for your bulldozer?

That thing is seriously heavy duty!

Bill

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode