Beginer - Lamp wiring path question? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 9 Old 11-25-2009, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

View Tayook's Photo Album My Photos
Beginer - Lamp wiring path question?

Hello!

I am having difficulty getting advice on how to hollow out a wiring path that follows the bends of a tree branch. I know this may not be the best place to post this question, but most lamp makers are not willing to share thier secrets

My first project only involved one bend and the piece was only about 16 inches, which was easy enough because I just drilled from opposite ends and was lucky enough to have them meet. But this will not always be the case, as I want to get more complicated with my designs.

Any suggestions or advice would be great.

I am literate, I just noticed the typo in my title, but it will not allow me to edit it.

Last edited by Tayook; 11-25-2009 at 01:48 PM. Reason: Typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-25-2009, 10:09 PM

View Jim Tank's Photo Album My Photos
One way is to bandsaw in half lengthway, hollow out a groove, then glue back together. The other is to hire a guy with a Dremel roto-rooter attatchment that will drill curves as directed.. kinda like the device used for a colonostomy. But it is expensive.
post #3 of 9 Old 11-27-2009, 06:49 PM

View mmwood_1's Photo Album My Photos
Tayook,
I have faced a similar dilemma in the past and came up with no good solutions. If you do, I would be very interested in knowing what you come up with. Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 11-28-2009, 07:14 AM

View phinds's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayook View Post
Hello!

I am literate, I just noticed the typo in my title, but it will not allow me to edit it.
I think the forum prevents edits on your first few posts --- not positive about that but it would make sense given your not being allowed to.

If typos, grammar errors and/or spelling errors cause you grief, this forum will give you a crushing headache, BUT if you can get past all that you'll find a huge wealth of info on wood and woodworking.

Welcome aboard.

Paul

You can never have too much pepperoni on your pizza or own too many clamps.
www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/
post #5 of 9 Old 11-28-2009, 07:32 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Edits?

Quote:
Originally Posted by phinds View Post
I think the forum prevents edits on your first few posts --- not positive about that but it would make sense given your not being allowed to.
If typos, grammar errors and/or spelling errors cause you grief, this forum will give you a crushing headache, BUT if you can get past all that you'll find a huge wealth of info on wood and woodworking.
Welcome aboard.Paul
Paul, it's my experience here that once a title to a thread is posted, the initial post, you can't edit it your self. If you post a reply, in the title, like "Edits?" you can "go advanced" and see the title in the upper box, edit it and then "save changes". FYI
Spellin? If using Internet Explorer, there's a spell check you can download free at:http://search.yahoo.com/search?fr=yt...ei=UTF-8&type=
Moxilla Firefox and Google Chrome checks spelling for you, but does not offer correct choices, you are on your own to figure it out... PITA. bill

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #6 of 9 Old 11-29-2009, 11:26 PM Thread Starter

View Tayook's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks for the replies!

I thought about sawing it length wise and gluing it back together, but this particular piece has a lot of detail that would be a pita to line back up and sanding wouldn't be an option-again due to the detail.

I was hoping there was some magic way to do this that I was oblivious to
post #7 of 9 Old 11-30-2009, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayook View Post
Thanks for the replies!

I thought about sawing it length wise and gluing it back together, but this particular piece has a lot of detail that would be a pita to line back up and sanding wouldn't be an option-again due to the detail.

I was hoping there was some magic way to do this that I was oblivious to
Not sure I have this right but it sounds like you did the detail work around the outside of the piece THEN wanted to do the wire hole. If I have that right, then obviously in the future you'll find it easier to FIRST do the wire hole and then do the exterior detail. If the detail you refer to is in the wood itself, then you're SOL.

Paul

post #8 of 9 Old 11-30-2009, 12:49 AM

Paul, it's my experience here that once a title to a thread is posted, the initial post, you can't edit it your self. If you post a reply, in the title, like "Edits?" you can "go advanced" and see the title in the upper box, edit it and then "save changes".

AH HA ... that would explain it better than my faulty recollection. Thanks for the clarification.

post #9 of 9 Old 11-30-2009, 07:09 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Long drills

Electricians use long drills with self feeding augers, maybe 18" long, in sizes down to 3/8", also security system installers use very long drills 48" for hidden wiring.
You can "through" drill the holes coming out the other side if that will help rather than trying to intersect inside at the intersection of the 2 holes and trying to pull the wire through one long hole.....I donno? bill
I don't know if it would make sense just to saw the branch cross wise, depending on the bends in it, drill the holes then glue the branch back together with a metal pipe reinforcement in the hole????

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode