Beauty of a freshly milled TX Cedar Elm - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 4 Old 02-04-2020, 05:33 PM Thread Starter

View RefinedElements's Photo Album My Photos
Beauty of a freshly milled TX Cedar Elm

So we milled our 2nd cedar elm and we decided to make a video of this one. In fact, we are trying to make a video for every new species that we salvage here in Texas.

I want to be clear that this is something we do purely for fun. We receive absolutely no sponsorship or any type of advertising. Someone I do for the enjoyment of it. Plus, only a few get to peek into the heart of a milled tree so I thought I would be nice to document for others to reference.

We'll keep putting together these videos if people think it is interesting!! My goal is to have a huge library of videos by 2021 for fellow woodworkers and sawyers to reference. We run into some really cool stuff. And a lot of trees that many folks believe is junk for woodworking. Maybe we can change some of those attitudes and save more & more of the urban logs going to waste.

Let me know what you think. I'm open to suggestions if you'd like to see things from an urban sawyer's perspective.

Be safe!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wimberley Cedar Elm5, Jan 2020.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	392.5 KB
ID:	384383  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-04-2020, 06:48 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
That tree has some beautiful wood. You write of "urban" sawyer. Do you go into Austin to do your tree felling. Or travel to other areas. You are really not far from San Antonio.

George
post #3 of 4 Old 02-10-2020, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

View RefinedElements's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeC View Post
That tree has some beautiful wood. You write of "urban" sawyer. Do you go into Austin to do your tree felling. Or travel to other areas. You are really not far from San Antonio.

George
Hey George. We travel all over Texas and sometimes beyond that (rarely). For 90% of what we do, we try to keep to about a 100 mile radius to Austin.

For our turn-key or what we call "adaptive tree re-use" projects, we travel all over Texas to support the removal, transport, mill, drying and even production of urban lumber products for both commercial and residential clients.

But when we get calls for tree donations or logs left for us to save, we try to stay in the northern San Antonio, Northern Austin, Bastrop, Fredericksburg areas of central Texas. We do these pick-ups for free of course when we run into the right logs / trees.

Hope this helps! Devin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 02-10-2020, 01:51 PM
johnep

View johnep's Photo Album My Photos
Glad to hear you have picked up where Nelson left off. He was an urban tree logger.

johnep

Tags
austin sawmill, live edge, soul of the tree, texas cedar elm, texas sawmill

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode