Beam and Joist calculations? - Page 2 - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 22 Old 11-22-2017, 01:33 AM
Senior Member
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Portland Oregon Metro Area
Posts: 471
View ORBlackFZ1's Photo Album My Photos
I don't know about structural engineers in CA, but I have one in OR that I have used on three (3) projects since 2010. He is a P.E. (Professional Engineer), which means he has passed all the stringent requirements by the state board of engineering examiners. He is well worth the money that I pay him. He engineered a 12'x33' glass deck cover for me in 2010. The complete design: footers, posts, joists, glass, glass mounting hardware, fasteners, and mounting to the existing structure were all specified by the Structural Engineer in the his drawings. His services cost me $1000. He even showed up to inspect the construction crew during the process.

With the Structural Engineer's drawings in hand, the deck cover permitting process was easier than any other project permitting that I had done before. After that project, I used the Structural Engineer on every project. Before using a Structural Engineer for the construction drawings, the permitting process usually turned into a nightmare, because the permitting office would reject my requests over some piddly thing.

I would recommend that you find a Structural Engineer that will work with you on the project. Stay away from the Engineering "Firms" and find an independent that works for him/herself. You will save a lot of money and have the confidence that your structure will not fail and kill anyone in the process...Make sure that the Structural Engineer is licensed by the State of CA as a P.E. and have completed similar projects to yours.


Ain't technology grand........when it works.
ORBlackFZ1 is offline  
Sponsored Links
post #22 of 22 Old 11-22-2017, 03:49 AM Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 40
View marthincho's Photo Album My Photos
Originally Posted by ORBlackFZ1 View Post
Make sure that the Structural Engineer is licensed by the State of CA as a P.E. and have completed similar projects to yours.
Great advice. Yes, I am planning on doing just this. I have quotes anywhere from $1,000 to $3,000 for this work. Need to filter through this and pick someone to go with.
marthincho is offline  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome