Basement Bar with Butcher block top - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Pineknot_86

post #1 of 6 Old 07-19-2017, 03:37 PM Thread Starter

View MikeGee's Photo Album My Photos
Basement Bar with Butcher block top

Hey Guys.

I have just finished building my first bar in my basement. I have a 1.25" Birch butcher block im installing as the top which is uncut and unfinished now. I know there are lots of debates on how to finish etc.. My dillema is that 1) the Butcher block is in the basement (humid but can be controlled with dehumidifier) and 2) The butcher block has an over hang of 11" in front and 3" on the inside, I am going to be welding together some decorative L-brackets to give extra support but I was worried a Polyurethane coat would crack with the overhang expansion. I am not sure how I should finish.

Its a basement bar, not gonna be cutting anything on it or eating anything off it, I just dont want any issues down the road. Waterlox is not an option as I am in Canada and it costs a fortune to get it here.

Also curious what brands of Polyurethane you reccomend and curious what the difference between the polyurethane "for floors" is compaired to the regular stuff if it is suggested to go down that route.

Thanks alot for any help or suggestions.

-Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-19-2017, 04:42 PM

View Pineknot_86's Photo Album My Photos
Sounds like a nice bar. Saw a BB countertop at a Woodcraft store several years ago. Complete with backsplash and sink cutout. Guy was making it for the home of a professional chef.
Don't forget the seatbelts for the barstools when your guests get verschnicken.
Catpower likes this.

A diamond is how coal reacts under pressure.
post #3 of 6 Old 07-19-2017, 08:42 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
The humidity of your basement won't really be an issue. What hurts wood is wild swings in temperature and humidity. As long as it's pretty stable what ever the humidity level is you should be alright. You should finish both sides of the top. If you seal one side and leave the underside raw moisture in the air will get into the wood and cause that side to swell. This will cause cup warping.

Polyurethane would be a good product for a finish and the floor version would be even better. As far as brand it doesn't make any difference to me except for Valspar and Helmsman. I won't use any type of Valspar or Helmsman product for anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 07-20-2017, 08:18 AM Thread Starter

By Helmsman i am assuming you mean Minwax brand ? I was looking at Minwax Polyurethane for Floors. I will see what is avaliable in my area so many issues with stains and oil based products with VOCs its unbelievable.
post #5 of 6 Old 07-20-2017, 12:24 PM

View TimPa's Photo Album My Photos
and when you attach the top make sure to slot the holes, or use other attaching methods to allow for expansion and contraction.

ahhhh, if there are no pics, It didn't happen....
post #6 of 6 Old 07-20-2017, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

would oversizing the holes and securing with screw and large washer work

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode