Bandsawing logs Troubleshooting - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 10 Old 07-03-2020, 03:52 PM Thread Starter

View Indywar2's Photo Album My Photos
Bandsawing logs Troubleshooting

Hi Everyone,

I am creating some centerpieces for my daughter's wedding where I am cutting logs/tree limbs that are 4-6 inches in diameter and I am cutting them to ~5" in length using my bandsaw. None of the logs are green wood or are wet. All have fallen for some time before I started this process. The final step is to remove a 3" diameter center approx 3" deep (to receive a small Mason jar for flowers).

For cutting the logs to 5" long I used my bandsaw as the compound miter saw was too dangerous and sent the first log flying against the wall (lesson learned).

For most of the logs I used my 1/2" 4 tpi Tiberwolf blade that was essentially new. The bandsaw is a 14" Delta (1983) with a 3/4 HP motor that is likely original but still runs strong. There is no riser block installed. After installing the blades I adjusted the tension, guide/cool blocks and thrust bearings.

Most of the cuts I had no problems. However, I had a log that the band stopped moving and I immediately shut off the power and unplugged. Picture of the blade are attached showing how it bent. I inspected the log and there were no metal objects causing this, and once I received a new 1/2" 3tpi bandsaw blade I was able to cut the rest of that log and several other logs without issues. I did have a similar issue with a different log later (of course on the final log, different day).

Questions:

1) can either of these bandsaw blades still be used (bent back, etc) or should they be discarded?
2) Any advice as to the cause of this problem?

Thanks,
Rob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bent bandsaw blade.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	274.5 KB
ID:	391877  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bent bandsaw blade #2.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	259.3 KB
ID:	391879  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-03-2020, 04:00 PM

View John Smith_inFL's Photo Album My Photos
way back in my former life, I had an old Craftsman 12" bandsaw.
I intentionally bent/twisted the blade to give a very rough cut
for the edges of "rustic" wood plaques.
I pulled the blade guides back so I wouldn't destroy them and it worked quite well.
if you never intend to go that route, I would just coil up the blade
and save for the future. (you may find a use for it some day).

there is no educational alternative to having a front row seat in the School of Hard Knocks.
post #3 of 10 Old 07-03-2020, 05:06 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
I've never seen a blade bent like that ......

I've sawed a whole lot of wood including logs on my bandsaws, but I've never bent a blade like that. Seem to me it was bent after passing through the log and got messed up in the lower guides, but I could be wrong. Where were the bends located when you removed it. It's possible that it came off the wheel and then was bent. Since the new blade cut through the log just fine, something else happened.

Can you reuse it? You can try it won't cost anything, but once the metal takes that kind of set it will not totally straighten back out. Heating it will destroy the temper so that won't work. Probably a lost cause, but the reason it bent would be worth looking into.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 07-03-2020 at 05:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 07-03-2020, 06:09 PM

View Alchymist's Photo Album My Photos
My guess is the blade seized in the log ( log rolled?) and bent the blade.

Alexis de Tocqueville was a very smart man.
post #5 of 10 Old 07-03-2020, 06:18 PM

View Dave McCann's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indywar2 View Post
Hi Everyone,
Questions:

1) can either of these bandsaw blades still be used (bent back, etc) or should they be discarded?
2) Any advice as to the cause of this problem?

Thanks,
Rob
(1) If it were mine, I would discard the bent blades.

(2) Were you using a sled to hold the log? If not, I suspect the log shifted ever so slightly binding on the blade. This in turn, caused even more movement and binding.
post #6 of 10 Old 07-04-2020, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

View Indywar2's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks, everyone for the comments. I think at this point I will just install a new blade and discard the bent one.

The sled idea is a good one. I had made a make-shift miter slot fence (a board that was perpendicular to the table and blade was attached to an oak board that fit in the miter slot). Do you have any designs that you like for cross-cutting logs?

Thanks,
Rob
post #7 of 10 Old 07-04-2020, 07:49 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Use a power planer first!

To help avoid the shifting log, flatten the bottom with a hand held power planer. It will take about 3 minutes, maybe 4. That will provide a flat surface to secure the log on the sled. It's flat enough, you may not need the sled.... I donno?

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #8 of 10 Old 07-05-2020, 01:57 AM

View sunnybob's Photo Album My Photos
Sawing round branches on a bandsaw freehand is very dangerous. Make sure you have 911 on speed dial.
There are loads of utube videos on how to do it safely, from buying an all singing all dancing jig, to just screwing it to a plank.

Dump the blades.

SunnyBob
my projects can be viewed here
http://www.pbase.com/john_cooper/bob...dwork_projects
post #9 of 10 Old 07-05-2020, 12:17 PM

View TomCT2's Photo Album My Photos
for the comprehension challenged, here's the post:
"limbs that are 4-6 inches in diameter and I am cutting them to ~5" in length using my bandsaw."

for the OP, when sawing round things the work piece must be very firmly held in a fixed orientation.
dowels to tree trunks - when a round things gets loose with a saw blade many unwanted results occur.

a sled with a V and a top down clamp is one method - there are many.
but free handing a round thing on a bandsaw or table saw or radial arm saw is exceedingly not recommended.
somebody posted a bandsaw & "round thing got wild" video on this site a while back - you got a bend blade and a stall - he got flying pieces.....
it's often not a triffling matter.
post #10 of 10 Old 07-05-2020, 12:34 PM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
This:
https://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f7/i...se-psa-169129/

Watch the video.

P.S. Also dangerous with unsecured round objects, not mentioned above: Miter saws.

Last edited by Tool Agnostic; 07-05-2020 at 12:47 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode