Bandsaw Blade Guides - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Jim Frye
  • 1 Post By TimPa
  • 1 Post By Quickstep

post #1 of 8 Old 12-16-2018, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

View Quickstep's Photo Album My Photos
Bandsaw Blade Guides

Im wondering what yall like for bandsaw blade guides. Ive been using cool blocks, but I find they wear too quickly.

Also the original setup on my saw has always seemed a little sloppy; the entire guide assembly for the upper guides shifts a bit when you tighten the thumbscrew for the upper guide assembly.

Im considering Carter bearing guides since they replace the entire guide assembly.
I also hear good things about ceramic guides. What are everyones favorites?
My saw is a Delta 14 if that matters.

Thanks for any guidance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-16-2018, 11:45 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
I needed a guide for a blandsaw and in a brief search could only find cool blocks. I knew I wouldn't like them so I fabricated a guide out of a piece of steel.
post #3 of 8 Old 12-16-2018, 02:22 PM
Wood machinist

View difalkner's Photo Album My Photos
About 35 years ago I retrofitted my 1950 King-Seeley 12" bandsaw with roller bearings. They've been in place ever since and work great. The Laguna 14SUV we bought about 3 years ago came with ceramic guides and I really like them. They are supposed to last a long, long time.

David

David

Curly Wood Shop on Etsy
David Falkner - Woodworking YouTube channel
Our music at church - current videos Airline Baptist BC Facebook Live
Romans 3:23
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 12-16-2018, 03:37 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Lot's of ways to skin this cat

The best blade guide is the one that will fit your saw the best. Some "universal" types come close but don'y work exactly as advertised. DAMHIKT.

My 14" Craftsman saws use ball bearings and they work fine. I do have European ceramic guides on my Min Max 18" saw for resawing, great guides. My metal cutting saws use roller bearings.

On a woodcutting saw the blade speeds are so fast it will spin ball bearings at max RPM making a lot of noise. The trick is to let the saw blade itself do the cutting by slowing the feed rate so you aren't always twisting the blade in the guides causing contact. If you are constantly "into the guides" the curve is too tight for the blade width and you need a more narrow blade.

Here's a nice array of the different types of blades:
https://woodgears.ca/bandsaw/guides.html

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #5 of 8 Old 12-16-2018, 04:45 PM
The Nut in the Cellar

View Jim Frye's Photo Album My Photos
My saw uses 1/4" square guide blocks. I made a dozen or so replacements from some white oak. I soaked them for a few weeks in Watco Danish Oil and then cured them slowly in a warming box for a few weeks. They have lasted for years and I still have some left. The saw uses socket head allen screws to hold the guides.
Mad likes this.

Jim Frye
I've gone out to find myself. If I return before I get back, have me wait for me.
"Sawdust is Man Glitter"
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim Frye For This Useful Post:
Mad (12-23-2018)
post #6 of 8 Old 12-17-2018, 01:28 PM

View TimPa's Photo Album My Photos
we use the carter bearing type set at work and at home on my 14" delta. hard to beat.
Biggrbird2013 likes this.
post #7 of 8 Old 12-17-2018, 03:23 PM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
I have a 1953 Delta 890 bandsaw. The previous owner, who was an experienced woodworker, installed Cool Blocks, which I still use.

Have you looked at Iturra Designs? They specialize in bandsaw accessories, and have a wonderful printed catalog full of nice things for your bandsaw, plus articles with bandsaw wisdom. There is a large selection of different guides and bearings in all price ranges, including the Carter products, but also Cool Blocks, ceramic guides that don't move, and even ceramic bearings that rotate the same as other bearings. I think about replacing my bearings or guides with better ones, but the Cool Blocks work well for me and have not shown much wear, so why change? Most likely, I don't use my bandsaw nearly as much as @Quickstep.

The only issue with Iturra Designs is that they are very old school. They work by phone and mail order, not the internet. Not everyone likes them, but I do. I keep mentioning it here on WoodworkingTalk because I am a satisfied customer who appreciates their selection, prices, and the printed catalog. I have bought ordinary bearings and other accessories from them. If/when I decide to upgrade or replace my guides or bearings, I will get 'em from Iturra Designs:

Iturra Design
1-904-642-2802
4636 Fulton Road
Jacksonville, Florida 32225-1332
post #8 of 8 Old 12-17-2018, 09:25 PM Thread Starter

View Quickstep's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool Agnostic View Post
I have a 1953 Delta 890 bandsaw. The previous owner, who was an experienced woodworker, installed Cool Blocks, which I still use.

Have you looked at Iturra Designs? They specialize in bandsaw accessories, and have a wonderful printed catalog full of nice things for your bandsaw, plus articles with bandsaw wisdom. There is a large selection of different guides and bearings in all price ranges, including the Carter products, but also Cool Blocks, ceramic guides that don't move, and even ceramic bearings that rotate the same as other bearings. I think about replacing my bearings or guides with better ones, but the Cool Blocks work well for me and have not shown much wear, so why change? Most likely, I don't use my bandsaw nearly as much as @Quickstep.

The only issue with Iturra Designs is that they are very old school. They work by phone and mail order, not the internet. Not everyone likes them, but I do. I keep mentioning it here on WoodworkingTalk because I am a satisfied customer who appreciates their selection, prices, and the printed catalog. I have bought ordinary bearings and other accessories from them. If/when I decide to upgrade or replace my guides or bearings, I will get 'em from Iturra Designs:

Iturra Design
1-904-642-2802
4636 Fulton Road
Jacksonville, Florida 32225-1332
I love Iturra Design; I need to get my hands on a fresh catalog.

I don't use my bandsaw all that much, but when I do and I need to change blades, I'd like to keep the setup time short and sweet.
Tool Agnostic likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode