Bandsaw blade - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 9 Old 04-16-2020, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

View MrRyan's Photo Album My Photos
Bandsaw blade

Just bought a Laguna bandsaw. Put it together today and went to install a 3/8 Laguna blade and as I was adjusting the tracking one spot keeps standing out. The blade twists and the teeth go way out of alignment for maybe an inch then the blade is straight again. Is this something normal from the way blades are twisted during packaging and maybe it will flatten out? Or do I need to return it? It’s definitely noticeable with the naked eye as you turn the wheel by hand. I would think it’d greatly affect the cut, but I’m a bandsaw novice....hard to see in this pic but it’s easy to see in person.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F9B9EDAF-ABC7-4529-BEA9-04A927D8CF40_1587072705608.jpg (216.7 KB, 36 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-16-2020, 09:15 PM

View Quickstep's Photo Album My Photos
That looks like a kink to me. Not good.

I'm not familiar with Laguna, but the blades that come with saws often aren't the best. Getting a good blade that's ideal for your intended use is something worth doing. I recently got a Carter AccuRite and it's great. Not too pricey at $25. I also have a wide carbide blade for re-sawing. It was expensive, but it's a dream for re-sawing.
post #3 of 9 Old 04-16-2020, 09:22 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
That blade is bent.

Return it for a new one. Watch a You Tube on how to coil a bandsaw blade IF you don't know how. I've been doing it for years and it's now second nature to me. Send it back ASAP but call first if you can get through ask for a RMA number:
https://www.google.com/search?channe...d&q=RMA+number

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 04-16-2020 at 09:26 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to woodnthings For This Useful Post:
homestd (04-17-2020)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 04-16-2020, 10:05 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, I’m definitely gonna return it tomorrow. Just opened the box on the blade today, wanted to give the saw it’s virgin run, but nope. Not sure if Laguna blades are poor quality but the one thing I’ve found so far with this Laguna saw is that it takes an odd size blade—115”—which makes selection a narrow choice....
post #5 of 9 Old 04-17-2020, 12:46 AM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
I have always thought of Laguna blades as good quality, especially their carbide-tipped ones, which have a reputation for durability and smooth cuts.

You should be able to find plenty of 115 inch bandsaw blades of all types and quality. There are many shops that buy bandsaw blades in bulk, and then they measure them to fit and weld them for you. I go to a local shop here in Southern California. I walk in, tell them what I want, and walk out with the blade a few minutes later. They take mail order:
http://www.industrialblade.net

If you are looking for an alternate source, Iturra Design sells bandsaw parts, including custom blades as described in the preceding paragraph. Iturra Design is "old school" with phone and mail order, but no internet presence. Their 200+ page catalog is full of bandsaw wisdom. I have bought accessories from them and recommend them.

Iturra Design
1-904-642-2802
4636 Fulton Road
Jacksonville, Florida 32225-1332
post #6 of 9 Old 04-17-2020, 04:50 AM
where's my table saw?

I get mine from Grizzly ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRyan View Post
Thanks, I’m definitely gonna return it tomorrow. Just opened the box on the blade today, wanted to give the saw it’s virgin run, but nope. Not sure if Laguna blades are poor quality but the one thing I’ve found so far with this Laguna saw is that it takes an odd size blade—115”—which makes selection a narrow choice....

I buy my 3/4" wide by 143" long 3 TPI blades from Grizzly Industrial 6 at a time to save shipping costs. They are Timberwolf blades, a good Swedish steel quality blade. They have many widths and pitches in your 115" size:
https://www.grizzly.com/search?q=((c...:%22115+in.%22)

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #7 of 9 Old 04-17-2020, 09:19 AM
Go the distance!

View justdraftn's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRyan View Post
I’ve found so far with this Laguna saw is that it takes an odd size blade—115”—which makes selection a narrow choice....
I run a Laguna 14/twelve, 115" blade. I get
my blades from Olson. All sizes, no problem.
post #8 of 9 Old 04-17-2020, 09:24 AM Thread Starter

On another forum posters rave about getting blades custom welded from local shops and how it’s cheaper than off the shelf blades at stores. I’m in Des Moines, a plenty big city. I can’t find a place that does this (I’m guessing they exist), but the places online are definitely MORE expensive. My problem is I’m inpatient and when I want a blade I want to go pick it up. So locally that limits me to places that I know of that sell 115” blades—wood smith store and Acme Tools. And it limits me to Laguna and Timberwolf as the only brands locally I’ve seen. Guess i need order online!
post #9 of 9 Old 04-17-2020, 09:48 AM
where's my table saw?

I order online from Grizzly

I've heard good things about Laguna, but I have no experience with them. I do have good experience with ordering Timberwolf brand from Grizzly. I also weld my own blades in 5/8" wide and under. It's not a complicated process, and any good machine shop will have an induction blade welder, but they may not have "woodworking" blade stock on hand. The hardest/time consuming part is dressing/grinding the welded area flush with the rest of the blade so it will ride between the guides without "bumping".

I don't know how fast Grizzly can get them to you in these weird times.

Last edited by woodnthings; 04-17-2020 at 09:52 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode