Band saw - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 23 Old 10-13-2012, 09:16 PM Thread Starter

View wiretwister's Photo Album My Photos
Band saw

Might be a stupid question but how thick of a piece of wood can you cut with a Ohio forge 10 inch band saw? Is the 10 inch referring to the throat depth?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 10-13-2012, 09:19 PM

View Dave Paine's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiretwister View Post
Might be a stupid question but how thick of a piece of wood can you cut with a Ohio forge 10 inch band saw? Is the 10 inch referring to the throat depth?
This is not a stupid question. I understand the confusion.

The normal convention for bandsaw "size" is the maximum width of the wood which can be cut.

So normally a 10in bandsaw can cut a maximum of 10in wide piece.

The maximum height which can be cut will be part of the detailed specification of the saw.
post #3 of 23 Old 10-13-2012, 09:47 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
Two wheel bandsaws are sized by the diameter of the wheels, the throat capacity is usually about 1/2" less, so that saw would have 10" diameter wheels and 9 1/2" throat capacity.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
http://woodworkerglossary.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 10-13-2012, 10:13 PM
I wood if I could.

View Chaincarver Steve's Photo Album My Photos
I have learned from experience that the X-inches rating is totally without rhyme or reason and tells you absolutely nothing meaningful about the saw except that the manufacturer pulled the number randomly out of their arse. Seriously, I've owned more than one band saw "called" the same size, having different throat and resaw capacities AND different sized wheels. The number is bogus marketing BS.
post #5 of 23 Old 10-13-2012, 11:18 PM

View cuerodoc's Photo Album My Photos
Not trying to be trite; but the best way-no matter the brand --is to measure the available depth. My first bandsaw had 12 in wheels but can only go to 6 in depth.

Dave Hill

Everyday--learning to liberate nice things from ordinary chunks of wood
and I like gnarly wood--outcome is always better than the start.
post #6 of 23 Old 10-13-2012, 11:30 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
The stated size of a bandsaw is the dimension from the blade to the support column. The capacity of the machine depends on the maximum height the upper blade guide can be raised above the table. That's also the resaw capacity.
Whether a machine will be able to cut that dimension in hardwood depends on the blade, it's condition and the HP of the motor. A 10" or 9" machine will have about a 1/3HP motor. That will be adequate for hobby work, cutting 1" and slightly thicker material, but will not be adequate for resawing 4"- 6" thick hardwood in my experience. I have a nice 10" Craftsman with the 1/3 HP motor, which I bought for my son who was 8 years old to learn on and to use. I have since taken it over as a utility machine to cut various materials like plexiglas, foam rubber and smaller wood pieces. I use the larger bandsaws I have which are set up for resawing thicker materials up to 8". These are 14" and 18" saws and have up to 3 HP motors. Having more than one bandsaw saves the time of changing over the blades for specific operations, a big factor in my shop. You must "adjust" the side guides and rear guide when changing blade thicknesses and widths, a PITA depending.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 10-14-2012 at 11:08 AM. Reason: wording: from change to adjust
The Following User Says Thank You to woodnthings For This Useful Post:
BZawat (10-14-2012)
post #7 of 23 Old 10-14-2012, 12:20 AM

View BZawat's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings
The stated size of a bandsaw is the dimension from the blade to the support column. The capacity of the machine depends on the maximum height the upper blade guide can be raised above the table. That's also the resaw capacity.
Whether a machine will be able to cut that dimension in hardwood depends on the blade, it's condition and the HP of the motor. A 10" or 9" machine will have about a 1/3HP motor. That will be adequate for hobby work, cutting 1" and slightly thicker material, but will not be adequate for resawing 4"- 6" thick hardwood in my experience. I have a nice 10" Craftsman with the 1/3 HP motor, which I bought for my son who was 8 years old to learn on and to use. I have since taken it over as a utility machine to cut various materials like plexiglas, foam rubber and smaller wood pieces. I use the larger bandsaws I have which are set up for resawing thicker materials up to 8". These are 14" and 18" saws and have up to 3 HP motors. Having more than one bandsaw saves the time of changing over the blades for specific operations, a big factor in my shop. You must change side guides and rear guide when changing blade thicknesses and widths, a PITA depending.
Always wondered what the 9", 10", etc was referring to.
post #8 of 23 Old 10-14-2012, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BZawat View Post
Always wondered what the 9", 10", etc was referring to.
The 9", 10" etc refers to the diameter of the wheels, not the throat size.

Check specs of 14" Delta bandsaw, throats size is listed as 13 5/8":
http://www.deltamachinery.com/produc...category_id=47

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
post #9 of 23 Old 10-14-2012, 12:59 AM Thread Starter

View wiretwister's Photo Album My Photos
I'm wanting a band saw to use with my 12 inch lathe. Something to cut up 8 inch and smaller logs. Guess I need a 2 to 3 hp band saw?
post #10 of 23 Old 10-14-2012, 01:01 AM

View BernieL's Photo Album My Photos
Woodworking questions always lead to different answers and when methods are the topic, different answers can all be correct. Now I'm no expert in these matters but if I were to chose an answer for this particular non method question, I would side with "Woodnthings". A 10 inch saw will have 10 inches from blade to column. A 12 inch saw will have 12 inches from blade to column etc. etc.

Its' never hot or cold in New Hampshire... its' always seasonal.
post #11 of 23 Old 10-14-2012, 01:14 AM

What more can I say other than that a manufacturer lists a bandsaw as a 14" and states it has a 13 5/8" capacity, check a few other manufactures as well such as Grizzly, they say the same thing.

I am only trying to prevent someone needing 14" throat capacity buying what is listed as a 14" saw and finding it only cuts 13 5/8".

FrankC
The Following User Says Thank You to FrankC For This Useful Post:
jharris2 (10-14-2012)
post #12 of 23 Old 10-14-2012, 01:37 AM

View johnnie52's Photo Album My Photos
I have a Grizzly 14" band saw that would actually make a 14" cut from blade to frame and had a resaw cap of 6". I added the 6" riser to be able to resaw 8" material and because of the design of the riser, it now only cuts 13.5" from blade to frame. The guys are right when they say it has to do with the diameter of the wheels. The guys are also right when they say it is the distance from blade to frame. Finally the guys are also right when they say it is mostly just a number that the manufacturer pulls out of their arse.

IMO, y7our best bet is to measure the distance from the inside of the blade to the frame and use that as its measurement.

If Woodworking is so much fun why isn't it called WoodFUNNING?

I've made a few videos
http://www.youtube.com/user/johnnie52
post #13 of 23 Old 10-14-2012, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuerodoc View Post
Not trying to be trite; but the best way-no matter the brand --is to measure the available depth. My first bandsaw had 12 in wheels but can only go to 6 in depth.
The depth that a bandsaw will cut has no bearing on the size of the wheels and is determined by the manufacturer.

FrankC
post #14 of 23 Old 10-14-2012, 02:41 AM

View jharris2's Photo Album My Photos
Yeah, my BS is labeled as a 15".

Blade to column is 14 1/2", wheel diams are 14 3/4" with a max cutting depth of 8 1/2".

I always wondered too.

Thanks for splainin'

Jeff

"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education"

Mark Twain

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did ó in his
sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.

Jack Handey
post #15 of 23 Old 10-14-2012, 07:09 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
It's been my belief that the sizing of a band saw used by the manufacturer...like 10", 12", 14". 18", etc., is generally the throat depth from the blade to the column. It may not be exact, but close.

Blade changing may call for changing the guide bushings. That means just changing their position...not removal and installation of a different type. They are usually wrench adjustable and not a problem. What makes the smaller less powerful band saws most efficient is using an appropriate blade for the project. IOW, type of blade, TPI, and tooth design.

post #16 of 23 Old 10-14-2012, 02:42 PM
I wood if I could.

View Chaincarver Steve's Photo Album My Photos
See!? I tried to tell you guys the number is bogus BS. We can't even get a straight answer from a bunch of bandsaw owners. I've owned 3 different bandsaws and I tell you from experience that the advertised size is meaningless crap that is, apparently, largely arbitrary and indicative of nothing. As there seems to be no standard - nor truth in advertising - if the advertised number ever coincides with either the throat size, wheel size OR resaw capacity it is only by pure chance.

Last edited by Chaincarver Steve; 10-14-2012 at 02:45 PM.
post #17 of 23 Old 10-15-2012, 02:28 PM
Sawdust Creator

View ryan50hrl's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankC

The depth that a bandsaw will cut has no bearing on the size of the wheels and is determined by the manufacturer.
It sure does.....try cutting something 15 inches on a blade that goes over 10 inch wheels.....

The tools don't make the craftsman....
post #18 of 23 Old 10-15-2012, 03:19 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Yes and no...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan50hrl View Post
It sure does.....try cutting something 15 inches on a blade that goes over 10 inch wheels.....
Falberg Sawz has come up with a unique bandsaw that will cut intricate shapes in very thick material. Videos at the bottom:

http://www.falbergsawz.com/elf/elf.html

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #19 of 23 Old 10-15-2012, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan50hrl View Post
There are two restrictions on a band saw, throat depth, distance between blade and frame and the height of cut which is the distance between table and blade guide.

The height of cut is determined by how far apart the wheels are, not how large they are.

If it was possible to extend the frame of a 10" saw so the wheels are farther apart you could cut something 15 " high.

FrankC
post #20 of 23 Old 10-15-2012, 06:40 PM

View Midlandbob's Photo Album My Photos
To Wiretwister:
I think the inch thing has been hashed out but your question of HP is a good one. With a sharp blade and a very patient woodworker you could cut the 8 inch block for your lathe. If the wood is damp, a blade with a lot of set is needed but minimum 1 HP .
I can do it on my General 14 inch. I also have a 3 HP bandsaw that really will resaw or easily cut the 8 inch deep cut. It will cut to 12 inches if the blade is really sharp and the pressure is just right. The blade can slowly deflect if all is not set up rightly.
Really big blocks are easily rounded for the lathe with a chain saw and the block sitting on a slight pin on the end of a piece of log( i drive in a nail and cut off the head). If its balanced, just cutting off the corners off of an octagon is enough.
Bob

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode