Bamboo Bathroom Vanity - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 11-14-2009, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

View Rcwilbert's Photo Album My Photos
Bamboo Bathroom Vanity

Hello,
New to the forum, I having a decent amount of DIY knowledge, and have built a couple of wood projects out of Solid wood which I then stained.

I am getting ready to redo my bathroom and my lady would like me to keep a Zen like feel. So, I was looking at building a modern wall mounted bamboo vanity made for double vessel sinks. To purchase one would cost upward of $2000, so I would like to build it myself.

As I am sure you know that Bamboo plywood is expensive. Bamboo veneer is much more reasonable. So since I have never worked with bamboo or veneer I have some questions.

What type of wood would you use under the veneer or would you use MDF? Would you have to seal that before you put the veneer over it. What glue would you use since it will be high humidity/moisture (prefer iron on glue, I don't have a vacuum bag pressure, etc). Can you seal the veneer to further protect the project from future water damage.

I already have a good idea on the design, really simple. Two cabinet doors, but flat for the modern look. Mainly just have know idea about the veneer process especially in a bathroom.

Thanks,
Rick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-15-2009, 04:35 AM

View Gus Dering's Photo Album My Photos
Do yourself the favor and buy a sheet of bamboo. Yes it will cst you about $185 but well worth it over all that venner work. The edges can be sanded as is or edge banded. The product is essentially two 1/8" venners on a 1/2" lumber core and is very flat and stable.

As far as a wall mounted vanity goes. I assume you are referring to one with no toe kick. I have done several of these and have developed a system that allows me the peace of mind needed for a good night sleep.

I hope this is of some help.

The key to the whole system is to get some fasteners to act in shear. These simple rafter ties work great.

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 1745
Size:  24.0 KB

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 1707
Size:  23.3 KB

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 1403
Size:  13.4 KB

Name:  4.jpg
Views: 3715
Size:  24.1 KB
post #3 of 7 Old 11-16-2009, 07:32 AM Thread Starter

View Rcwilbert's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks for the info. What wood did you use to build the cabinet? And is the top one solid piece that you cut holes out of? What did you use on the wood to protect it in the high humidity of the bathroom.
Thanks again,
Rick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 11-17-2009, 10:50 AM

View Gus Dering's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcwilbert View Post
Thanks for the info. What wood did you use to build the cabinet?

This is A-1 Maple with a MDF cross band Plywood

And is the top one solid piece that you cut holes out of?

The 4" wide pieces you see on the top are called top stretchers and are individual pieces. A 5/8" piece of ply gets screwd to the top as a sub top for the stone.

What did you use on the wood to protect it in the high humidity of the bathroom.

This has 3 coats of precat lacquer over a light stain. If you are really concerned about water damage you should consider conversion varnish.

Thanks again,
Rick
----
post #5 of 7 Old 11-17-2009, 12:04 PM
Forgotten but not gone

View TexasTimbers's Photo Album My Photos
I like the rafter tie idea Gus. I've always used plumbers strap but the ties would be even better.
post #6 of 7 Old 01-06-2010, 03:40 AM

View chord melvin's Photo Album My Photos
Bamboo Bathroom Vanity

Thanks for the information on Bamboo Bathroom Vanity. What wood did you use to build the bathroom vanity cabinet?
post #7 of 7 Old 01-08-2010, 06:43 AM

View johnhenry's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks for the information!!!!will be useful when constructing home..

Last edited by johnhenry; 01-09-2010 at 03:27 AM.

Tags
bamboo, bathroom vanity, veneer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode