Attending WIA (woodworking in America)? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 10 Old 05-23-2015, 08:39 PM Thread Starter

View davester84's Photo Album My Photos
Attending WIA (woodworking in America)?

Has anyone here ever attended? I am considering it, but I'm wondering if it's worth the $400+ admission and probably another $500 in travel expenses.
I really enjoyed going to the "woodworking show" in Tampa this year, but that was only $10 to get in. I wouldn't have paid $400 for it.... So what makes WIA worth that amount of money and how might it be different or similar to the woodworking show?
Thanks in advance for any opinions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-23-2015, 10:43 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
I would rather have $400.00 worth of wood.
post #3 of 10 Old 05-24-2015, 01:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'm not gonna go, but I'm just curious why it's so expensive.... I'd rather use that money towards a new tool
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 05-24-2015, 01:33 AM

I don't really know but it doesn't look like there is that many people attending. By the time they rent the building, pay for insurance, pay the speakers it takes a high price to make a profit.
post #5 of 10 Old 05-24-2015, 03:38 AM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by davester84 View Post
Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'm not gonna go, but I'm just curious why it's so expensive.... I'd rather use that money towards a new tool
Its probably expensive for the same reason the consumer electronics show and e3 are expensive: branding. Its a huge name that draws in huge crowds, so the organizers know that no matter what they charge, people will pay, just because they know its a good even for seeing the newest shiney things. The diehards have more money than self restraint after all. Same as any show, convention, or sports event for that matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
And answers like that are why I think you're awesome Steve

P.s. if I had the money, I'd go in a heartbeat. Sure, its probably massively overpriced and overhyped, but still, I'd be awesome to see so many tools and woodworkers gathered in one place

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
post #6 of 10 Old 05-24-2015, 08:13 AM

View new2woodwrk's Photo Album My Photos
Wish I knew about the one in Tampa - I would have gone to that - specially for $10.

No offense to anyone living there, but I don't go to Kansas for any reason :(
post #7 of 10 Old 05-24-2015, 08:52 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2woodwrk View Post
Wish I knew about the one in Tampa - I would have gone to that - specially for $10.

No offense to anyone living there, but I don't go to Kansas for any reason :(
It will most likely be in Tampa again next year. They do shows all over the country. It is amazing that they only charge $10. They have tons of great classes. Just keep an eye on their website for when they'll be in Tampa again.
The Following User Says Thank You to davester84 For This Useful Post:
new2woodwrk (05-24-2015)
post #8 of 10 Old 05-24-2015, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicfail48 View Post
Its probably expensive for the same reason the consumer electronics show and e3 are expensive: branding. Its a huge name that draws in huge crowds, so the organizers know that no matter what they charge, people will pay, just because they know its a good even for seeing the newest shiney things. The diehards have more money than self restraint after all. Same as any show, convention, or sports event for that matter.

And answers like that are why I think you're awesome Steve

P.s. if I had the money, I'd go in a heartbeat. Sure, its probably massively overpriced and overhyped, but still, I'd be awesome to see so many tools and woodworkers gathered in one place
For me to be a woodworker you have to be kind of an engineer. You have to work out solutions to the problems building each project. I don't see how you can learn enough in one show to help. Over the years there is no telling how many people I've worked for and picked up tidbits of ways of doing things but I can't think of one earth shattering idea I could relate to any one person. The show may have some great folks but I can't see how anyone would come away being $400.00 a better woodworker.
post #9 of 10 Old 05-24-2015, 02:12 PM

View PhilBa's Photo Album My Photos
Got curious and looked at it. It seems more like 2.5 days of classes than a show. So, it's more like $435 for classes. The Market Place (think show floor) is $10 to get in. It's not clear how many vendors will be there, though. There are some elbow rubbing activities with fellow attendees. Not sure the value of that.

The class descriptions are pretty interesting - with a number of meaty topics. One problem I see is that there are 9 class times and 42 classes so you will only be able to take less than one quarter of the classes. Also, it doesn't seem like it would be hands-on since each session is 2 hrs long. It's likely you will get a fairly brief overview of the topic and not a lot of depth.

If I lived in the area, I might consider doing it. They will have a lot of fairly well known wood workers presenting there. Though, you can probably find many videos on each topic online. For example, Stumpy Nubbs will be there teaching a course called "Make your own Woodworking Machines". Or you could just watch his videos.
post #10 of 10 Old 06-04-2015, 07:37 PM
SAWMAN

View Cabosawman's Photo Album My Photos
could not reply to your pm

Sorry But I could not respond to your pm

Cabo

Quote:
Originally Posted by davester84 View Post
Has anyone here ever attended? I am considering it, but I'm wondering if it's worth the $400+ admission and probably another $500 in travel expenses.
I really enjoyed going to the "woodworking show" in Tampa this year, but that was only $10 to get in. I wouldn't have paid $400 for it.... So what makes WIA worth that amount of money and how might it be different or similar to the woodworking show?
Thanks in advance for any opinions.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode