Woodworking Talk banner

Attaching something to a compressor tank.

1K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  FrankC 
#1 ·
I'm planning to attach a transmission cooler to my compressor as an aftercooler to cool the air before it goes into the tank. The easiest place to put it is on the tank itself. I was thinking about putting a ban around the tank, but I'm guessing that the tank expands a little bit when it fills, which will expand the band, causing it not to fit when the tanks contracts. Does this seem right? Any other ideas for making an attachment point on the tank?

#5 ·
It would greatly increase efficiency of the intercooler if you can attach it to the cylinder head cooling fan using the fan to move air through the intercooler. The inlet temp on my intercooler averages 237f the outlet to the tank is room temp. Also you need a method to collect the moisture that the intercooler condenses out of the airstream. A pre-tank centrifugal separator or quality micron water filter that is drained regularly.

#6 ·
Actually. I wouldn't attach anything to the tank. As the compressor runs, it produces vibrations. Anything attached to the tank would rub on the tank creating a weak spot.

As for the cooler. . . . .
If the compressor is stationary, attach the cooler to the wall, etc.

If the compressor is moved frequently, build a cart for the compressor and put the cooler on the cart.

All:
SCUBA tanks are tested and certified by measuring the amount of expansion between empty and full. (A measuring tape around the circumference.) Although we don't do that for compressors in home settings, OSHA probably has some rules for compressors used in industrial settings.

#9 ·
Here’s a sketch of my planned design. I plan to use an electric fan on the cooler. Getting the cooler in the path of the pump fan is too much trouble. I’ve just got to figure out how to mount the cooler.

Making it stand alone is probably a good idea. It might be nice to connect it with hoses both to make it portable and reduce the effects of vibration.

Is there hose that can handle the heat from the pump and the air pressure as well?

Attachments

#13 ·
Catpower,
When I filled tanks with liquid chlorine (Cl2) the cylinders had to be tested every 5 years. The operating pressure was significantly less than 150 pounds. The cylinders were tested by the expansion method and measuring the circumference. I do not know what pressure they were tested to.

#14 ·
They may stretch some but I don't think it will be enough to break a strap mounting them but maybe it will

Most hydro tests are 4 times the expected pressure the tank will experience, at least that is what I was told, might be different for different products, because if it was true an oxygen tank would need to be run up to about 8000 PSI

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.