Attaching 2x12? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 08-01-2013, 04:11 AM Thread Starter

View jessedavis82's Photo Album My Photos
Attaching 2x12?

I'm building a bed and am new to wood work. I thought since I could work on cars I could design and build my own bed, harder than it seems.

I'm trying to attach 4-2x12's together to form a square, the boards are overlapping at each corner for attachment. I use wood screws and tried to connect it from the outside of the board but its not a stable connection and boards keep coming apart.

Do I need to drill holes and use bolts/or screws?

Use L-shaped brackets at the corners?

Thank you

Jesse D.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-01-2013, 05:32 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos

You have a few choices. You can make a simple wood corner brace like this.

Or, you can buy a metal one.

Or, you can temporarily screw together with two screws. Remove one and drill through for a " dowel to be inserted. Remove the second screw, and drill as the first one was done. You could add another dowel or two (spaced appropriately.

Or, you can countersink for lag bolts and insert a wood plug to fill the hole.

post #3 of 6 Old 08-01-2013, 07:38 AM

View dt1050's Photo Album My Photos
have ya tried using a biscuit joiner/dowl rods and some glue as well as the above mentioned corner bracket. it ya use a solid (2" tall like your boards are) corner bracket, it's give a place to mount some casters. I was surprised when I started wood working that glue works so well. I was making picture frames and just nailing them they would just slop around and fall apart, not I glue the joint wait till it's set and nail it, never an issue again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 08-01-2013, 07:48 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by dt1050 View Post
have ya tried using a biscuit joiner/dowl rods and some glue as well as the above mentioned corner bracket. it ya use a solid (2" tall like your boards are) corner bracket, it's give a place to mount some casters. I was surprised when I started wood working that glue works so well. I was making picture frames and just nailing them they would just slop around and fall apart, not I glue the joint wait till it's set and nail it, never an issue again.
Leave off the nails at the end. They add nothing but holes in the wood.

Geo
post #5 of 6 Old 08-05-2013, 03:32 AM Thread Starter

View jessedavis82's Photo Album My Photos
Thank ya'll for all your help!! One more question the boards are alittle warped. Any tips on working with slightly warped boards?

thanks
post #6 of 6 Old 08-05-2013, 07:47 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessedavis82 View Post
Thank ya'll for all your help!! One more question the boards are alittle warped. Any tips on working with slightly warped boards?

thanks
Not much you can easily do, except to try to use them. If they are an eyesore, replace them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode