Assembling a bed - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 12 Old 06-16-2013, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

View eaglewso's Photo Album My Photos
Assembling a bed

So I have undertaken the task to build my wife and I a new bed. We know the look we are going for, but not sure how to go about putting it all together. The assembly of the head and foot boards should be simple, but what I am hung up on is the frame rails to the head and foot board.

We are both military so we will be moving regularly, which means the bed must be able to be taken apart into separate pieces (head, foot, side rails) and re-assembled at our next house.

What methods out there are suitable for this need and are within the reach of a novice woodworker? I'm just a hobbyist with a few basic tools (compound miter saw, circular saw, router, drill, but no jigsaw or table saw yet). Are there any ways to put a bed together that will suit my requirement? I looked into the "bed bolt" joint and it looks a little more technical than my abilities allow. My wife had suggested just getting a metal bed frame and attaching the boards to all sides but I want to do this 100% myself if I can, not just slapping a facade on a cheapo frame
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-16-2013, 12:59 PM

View amckenzie4's Photo Album My Photos
You can buy knock-down hardware that just screws in place, and is designed to hold a bed together.

I know WoodCraft sells them (link), and you can get them a lot of other places too.
post #3 of 12 Old 06-16-2013, 02:32 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Here's a pretty good selection that you could use.
http://woodworking.rockler.com/searc...ail%20hardware

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 06-17-2013, 08:20 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Does Seymour Johnson still have an open wood hobby shop? If so that would be a good place to use a table saw and get same assistance from the shop keeper.

George
post #5 of 12 Old 06-17-2013, 08:34 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeC View Post
Does Seymour Johnson still have an open wood hobby shop? If so that would be a good place to use a table saw and get same assistance from the shop keeper.

George
+1. Or Pope...if it's more convenient, and if they have a shop. An Army base like Ft. Bragg might offer the use of one if it's offered to military in general...like PX's and BX's.

post #6 of 12 Old 06-18-2013, 06:31 AM
No Longer Here

View henrylarry6's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetman View Post
Here's a pretty good selection that you could use.
http://woodworking.rockler.com/searc...ail%20hardware

I think that would be the critical job for you.
post #7 of 12 Old 06-18-2013, 03:02 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Both Pope and Bragg are well over an hour away from Goldsboro. Pope is in the far side of Bragg from that direction.

George
post #8 of 12 Old 06-18-2013, 03:39 PM

View Adrenolin's Photo Album My Photos
Your local HomeDepot will also carry the hardware for bed frame assembly. A router or some chisel work is needed but not difficult. I saw them locally and believe cost was about 18$ or abouts. Good luck.
post #9 of 12 Old 06-18-2013, 04:53 PM

View craigwbryant's Photo Album My Photos
As of a year ago when I left Fort Bragg, Pope Army Airfield (as its now called) had a woodshop. You had to take a shop safety course and I think there was a nominal fee for use. They had a couple 2-3 nice Powermatic cabinet saws with Biesemeyer fences, a couple of planers, and I think 2 8" jointers with 6' beds on them if memory serves me correctly.
post #10 of 12 Old 06-22-2013, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

I'll check out SJAFB to see if we still have the wood shop.

I found plenty of places for the hardware, but it seems like most of the hardware is joint-specific. I was looking more for which technique would be best or if there are any to steer away from.
post #11 of 12 Old 06-22-2013, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

These two I found looked good, wasn't sure how sturdy it will be.

http://www.woodcraft.com/product/200...-fastener.aspx

http://www.woodcraft.com/product/208...acket-set.aspx

I plan to build the actual bed frame itself from 1x10 Red Oak side rails with pine cross beams to save on cost spacing them every 10 inches. It needs to be very sturdy since we'll be putting a memory foam mattress on top (those things aren't light!).

The first one looks sturdy enough but I would have to educate myself on how to properly install them. The second set looks simpler with just one countersunk hole needed but with that one screw holding it all together I worry about flex.

I've dealt with this junky Ikea bed for a long time. Its not horrible but you can tell when you get in there is plenty of sway and its rather disconcerting. Ultimately I want something that wont feel like you're boarding a small boat. There was a non-mortise option but I fear that will just be too unstable. But the two I linked seem sturdy and simpler than bed bolt joints.
post #12 of 12 Old 06-22-2013, 03:38 PM

View EHCRain's Photo Album My Photos
I would worry about the 1 x 10 side rails, I would try to get 2 x if you could.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode