aromatic cedar wood questions - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 9 Old 04-09-2013, 08:54 PM Thread Starter

View tiggerhouse's Photo Album My Photos
aromatic cedar wood questions

I am making a chest for my grandbaby using aromatice ceader wood this is the first time I am working with kind of wood and have some questions
1. I have planed and jointed the wood two days ago but when I came beck today it had went back to that fade look before I planed it, so after I glue up the boards do I just sand the boards to get that rich grain to show again and then the second questions is how do I seal this wood to get that nice rich grain to stay like that
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-09-2013, 11:13 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Cedar is just going to oxidize no matter what you do. You can slow down the process by finishing it as soon as possible after sanding. Another thing that would help is to use a product called sun block sold by Kwick Kleen. It's like sun screen made for wood. Then finish the chest with a UV protective finish such as Clear Shield UV Protective Coating.
post #3 of 9 Old 04-09-2013, 11:35 PM

View beaner5463's Photo Album My Photos
If your not looking to seal the wood for awhile, just simply use an old bed sheet or towel or something in that nature and put over the items you are working on. If your going to work on something else in the shop in the mean time keep it covered up too cause the lights will dull out the color as well. We only have two windows in our shop but the lights we have tend to do more of the dulling than the sun would in our case with cedar.

That seems to be the easiest thing to do if you aren't expecting to seal it real quick.

I would wait for sanding until project is near completion so that way you can sand it and then seal as soon as possible. If you sand it now and let it sit you will probably be coming back to sand it again if you don't cover it up or use the product that Steve mentioned above.

Best of luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 04-09-2013, 11:43 PM Thread Starter

thanks so much
post #5 of 9 Old 04-10-2013, 04:10 PM

View Brian T.'s Photo Album My Photos
The only down side to sealing the cedar is that you will lose a lot of the "aromatic" quality and the insect repellent character of those odors.
The Following User Says Thank You to Brian T. For This Useful Post:
durdyolman (07-01-2013)
post #6 of 9 Old 04-10-2013, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robson Valley View Post
The only down side to sealing the cedar is that you will lose a lot of the "aromatic" quality and the insect repellent character of those odors.
I just want to seal the outside of the chest and leave the inside unsealed
post #7 of 9 Old 04-11-2013, 10:36 AM

View arkiewood's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggerhouse View Post
I just want to seal the outside of the chest and leave the inside unsealed

I have built a couple of them. I use Gray Seal Spar Varnish on the outside and leave the inside unfinished to get the aroma. Worked great for me. Good luck
post #8 of 9 Old 04-11-2013, 01:13 PM

View Tommie Hockett's Photo Album My Photos
Ehh cedar will turn colors on you no matter what you do. I have heard of something like sunblock that you can put on it, but I have never tried it.

"Courage is not knowing about when to take a life, but knowing when to spare it."
post #9 of 9 Old 06-30-2013, 06:57 PM

View 4Chris's Photo Album My Photos
New to the site, so this may be posted wrong.
I too am refinishing an old cedar chest that belonged to my wife's mother. This chest survived a fire about 65+ years ago, it was never attempted to retouch it for the entire time. I have recently retired and am now working in the wood shop that I have tried to have all my life. I have already started sanding the chest (seems the only thing that burned was the finish on the front). I have used a stripper to remove most of the rest of the finish.
I too want that real cedar look, but it seems quite faded. I was considering a wash with food grade hydrogen peroxide, to bring out the grain (or at least this is what I was told), anyone ever tried that trick?
Gonna use tung oil to finish it!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode