appropriate size air compressor - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 18 Old 04-19-2011, 06:22 PM Thread Starter

View egeorge1's Photo Album My Photos
appropriate size air compressor

I am considering this 4.5 gallon 200psi dewalt air compressor..
http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-D55146-2-Gallon-200-PSI-Compressor/dp/B000HZJLV2/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I1NL5GWRQYHXEC&colid=1TDWX5VGGIHYJ
I am going to use it with a nailer and for blowing fine sawdust particles off wood beforefinishing. Is this size overkill for my needs? One reason I am considering this one is that I want one that isn't excessively loud and doesn't constanty run which I know some of the smaller ones do. Recommendations?

e r i c
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 04-19-2011, 06:31 PM
Scotty D

View mdntrdr's Photo Album My Photos
That would do it. But it looks like that may be an oiless... wich are very loud.

Scott
OH, wait a minute ............Yep!.............That's what he said!

"Like" us on facebook
www.ScottyDsWoodworks.com
Watch Our YouTube Video
post #3 of 18 Old 04-19-2011, 06:41 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by egeorge1 View Post
I am considering this 4.5 gallon 200psi dewalt air compressor..
Amazon.com: DEWALT D55146 4-1/2-Gallon 200-PSI Hand Carry Compressor with Wheels: Home Improvement

I am going to use it with a nailer and for blowing fine sawdust particles off wood beforefinishing. Is this size overkill for my needs? One reason I am considering this one is that I want one that isn't excessively loud and doesn't constanty run which I know some of the smaller ones do. Recommendations?
It's oil free and may not be as quiet as you think. It's has a fair CFM @90 PSI for 1.8HP. It would likely not be adequate for running air tools like sanders, drills, or some spray guns.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 04-19-2011, 07:52 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
A 4 1/2 gallon IS a small one. Do you need a portable or will a stationary model do? With a small tank like that it will run a lot.

As mentioned it will be loud if oil free.

George
post #5 of 18 Old 04-19-2011, 08:08 PM

View EHCRain's Photo Album My Photos
I have this compressor: http://www.amazon.com/Bostitch-CAP1516-2-Horsepower-1-6-Gallon-CAmper-Shaped/dp/B0009OAKIY/ref=sr_1_2?s=power-hand-tools&ie=UTF8&qid=1303254381&sr=1-2While it is small and runs often, maybe every 5 or 6 shots with a 18ga stapler, its also one of the quietest portable compressors that I have been around.
post #6 of 18 Old 04-19-2011, 09:10 PM

View woodguy83's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeC View Post
A 4 1/2 gallon IS a small one. Do you need a portable or will a stationary model do? With a small tank like that it will run a lot.

As mentioned it will be loud if oil free.

George
While, a 4 1/2 gal won't run as much as a little pancake compressor, it will run frequently. I have a hitachi 4 gal and it runs too much for my liking if im working inside. I don't care how quiet a compressor is, if it is constantly kicking on and off it just gets plain annoying. I'm with GeorgeC on this one. If it can be stationary, by a 20 or 40 gal compressor. I have an 80 gal Husky in my garage/workshop and I can work all day and it might kick on twice. It's the way to go.
post #7 of 18 Old 04-19-2011, 09:43 PM

View Woodworkingkid's Photo Album My Photos
this compresor is overkill for you. This is because this guy i know he is construction and i was thinking about getting this compresor and he said that it is quiet enough to use when he or his crew are putting up molding. He also said he uses it two run multiple framing nailers all day. So if you are only planing on using it to blow dust off stuff and two do a littel bit of nailing this compresor is over kill. If your framing all day five days a week then this is the compresor that you need. Better choice is to get a larger oiled compresor if you want to use air tools if weight is an issue then get a porter cable pancake compressor.
post #8 of 18 Old 04-19-2011, 10:16 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions! I am aware that it won't be quiet by any means but comparing it to other oil free ones of similar or smaller size, it is the quietest I have found. Space is an issue for me as my shop is only about 12'x20', the large half of a 2-car garage plus a little spillover into the other side where I can get away with it. ;-) Therefore anything that is large/stationary is out of the question. The dewalt I can store under my workbench. It sounds like if I could put up with more noise I could probably get away with a small pancake as long as I don't get other air tools which I have no plans to do. What would be the minimum specs I should look for if I do go smaller?

e r i c
post #9 of 18 Old 04-19-2011, 10:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EHCRain
I have this compressor: Video Link: http://www.amazon.com/Bostitch-CAP1516-2-Horsepower-1-6-Gallon-CAmper-Shaped/dp/B0009OAKIY/ref=sr_1_2?s=power-hand-tools&ie=UTF8&qid=1303254381&sr=1-2
While it is small and runs often, maybe every 5 or 6 shots with a 18ga stapler, its also one of the quietest portable compressors that I have been around.
Thanks for the tip. I hadn't seen that one before. It actually has a better sound rating than the dewalt, 75dB vs 78dB so that's a plus and at half the price it may be hard to pass up. Also with as small as it is, it doesn't have to take up any floor space at all! I'm tempted....

e r i c
post #10 of 18 Old 04-19-2011, 11:02 PM
woodbutcherer

View jstange2's Photo Album My Photos
I have that exact dewalt compressor. It is quite a bit quieter than most oil-free compressors, but it is by no means quiet. It has plenty of CFM's at 90 to 100 psi to nail off sheathing with a single framing nailer or 3 rapid firing roofing nailers. It will have quite a bit of air for blowing stuff off since it pumps up to 200 psi, but it doesn't keep up once you get it down below 70 psi and you are constantly blowing with it. The bostitch would basically only be good for finish guns. I actually wanted to get that one for finish work in homes so I didn't have to lug the dewalt in. If you are set on oil-free and want it smaller, I have looked into http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-D55168-120-Volt-Electric-Compressor/dp/B000HZI6F4/ref=sr_1_4?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1303264724&sr=1-4. It's only 15 gallons, but it would be better when blowing stuff off. Pretty much the same pump and motor, just more capacity.
post #11 of 18 Old 04-19-2011, 11:16 PM

View rfmodeler's Photo Album My Photos
Check out the small ingersoll rand compressors at northerntool.com. Shipping is free I believe and they are one of the best brands available.

I purchased the smallest model and it is a little cumbersome blowing out my sprinkler system and using automotive tools, but works great for filling tires and can run two or three nail guns all day. It is very quiet compared to other comprssors its size.
post #12 of 18 Old 04-19-2011, 11:22 PM
woodbutcherer

View jstange2's Photo Album My Photos
I guess one question to ask would be..... What kind of power do you have to your shop? If it's only a couple of GFCI protected outlets, you should try to keep the amps low if it will be running at the same time as other tools.
post #13 of 18 Old 04-20-2011, 03:30 AM

View EHCRain's Photo Album My Photos
If you do decide to go with the small Bostitch, search around online for the best price I think I paid less than $130 shipped
post #14 of 18 Old 04-20-2011, 09:01 AM

View Woodworkingkid's Photo Album My Photos
ya i saw the bosh at lowes and it looked preaty good they have a combo set with a couple of nail guns included. You may want to look at the porter cable pancake compressor. Ir sounds like it is what you need and is priced less than the bostitch
post #15 of 18 Old 04-20-2011, 03:37 PM

View amckenzie4's Photo Album My Photos
I've got the older version of this, and it's worked well for me. The one I have came with three sizes of nail guns and a stapler. It's extremely loud, but I've got no complaints about function.
post #16 of 18 Old 04-20-2011, 05:41 PM

View bandman's Photo Album My Photos
Looks like you are not going to have any problem finding a compressor that will work for you, I am going to address the problem of blowing off your wood using only compressed air. If you use compressed air only to blow off you work piece you run the risk of putting moisture on your wood (never a good situation.) I would suggest using a tack rag after you blow off the visible dust and lint. Using a tack rag takes only a couple of seconds and you will be very pleased with the results. Make sure you use a top quality tack rag...there is a big difference in quality. I would go to an automotive paint supply store and buy the best they have. When you grab them they will not even feel "tacky" but after you wipe your wood down you can see by looking at the cloth what it has done. This should also be done between coats after sanding. Even the best are not expensive. I get mine from "Teqnikote"[email protected] will get you to their web site along with a phone number if you wish to call. I think I pay less than $10.00 per dozen. Can't tell you how many times I've seen a worker spend hours making a beautiful piece and then get in a hurry to finish it and have it not look good just because the finish job was rushed or didn't plan ahead. You will "love" using tack rags if you don't currently use them.

Bandman
post #17 of 18 Old 04-21-2011, 12:42 AM Thread Starter

Lots to consider...thanks for all the advice!

e r i c
post #18 of 18 Old 04-21-2011, 08:48 AM
Really underground garage

View BWSmith's Photo Album My Photos
After leaving a rather loooong trail of spent sm compressors over the last 3-4 decades......I really like the 30 G,5 hp,oiless horizantal.

It ain't that small though.But the space really gets warrented with the convenience of havin that 30 g.Upgraded wheels cost alittle but the orig. just fell apart from draggin it around.That compressor spent probably 2 years in the back of a PU,rain or shine.Was used/abused on site by framers,roofers and us doin cabmets/trim for 5 years.We've wore out probably 10,$$$ compressors....I'm sold on the 30 and 33 G compressors.Best of luck,BW

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode