Apprentice needing advice - Page 2 - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 11Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 28 Old 12-08-2018, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
Yew
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 3
View Yew's Photo Album My Photos
Wow. I am amazed and truely grateful for the generosity shown here. Y'all have given me a helpful framework and a lot to consider.

I live in Georgia, and most of the staircases we build are for the wealthy folks of north and Southampton, NY, CT, and VT. My boss and I have done those long drives for installations many times, living at those locations for up to 2-3 weeks. As a result we have a pretty close relationship - I would consider him a friend. I think that's why it has been hard for me to discuss wages with him.

I am certain that it would be very difficult to replace me, let alone replace our new employees. We're having Trouble finding anyone with experience.

Thank you again for the help.
Yew is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 28 Old 12-09-2018, 08:41 AM
Ole Woodworker
 
BigJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Chattanooga, Tennessee
Posts: 4,203
View BigJim's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yew View Post
Wow. I am amazed and truely grateful for the generosity shown here. Y'all have given me a helpful framework and a lot to consider.

I live in Georgia, and most of the staircases we build are for the wealthy folks of north and Southampton, NY, CT, and VT. My boss and I have done those long drives for installations many times, living at those locations for up to 2-3 weeks. As a result we have a pretty close relationship - I would consider him a friend. I think that's why it has been hard for me to discuss wages with him.

I am certain that it would be very difficult to replace me, let alone replace our new employees. We're having Trouble finding anyone with experience.

Thank you again for the help.
Just hang in there, a few years from now you will own your own company, you are paying for your education right now. Stair building is a good paying job, as you will see in the future. Learn how to make tangent rails and you will increase your pay, a lot. Standard stairs and radius stairs are just a system, tangent rails is more of an art and not many folks know how to build one.

Trying to understand the math and concept behind building a tangent rail is pretty in depth. The first two tangent rails I made, I laminated instead of cutting the fittings from a solid block. I am more of a doing/hands on person than a mathematician. The one thing that always made me sweat bullets was adding the profile to the fitting, that is the really hard part, for me anyway. No matter if you laminate the fitting or shape it from a solid block adding the profile is pretty much the same. OK this is getting too long so I will shut up.

http://www.diychatroom.com/
The Other
BigJim

If you do what you've always done, you will get what you've always got.

Last edited by BigJim; 12-09-2018 at 08:46 AM.
BigJim is online now  
post #23 of 28 Old 12-09-2018, 08:52 AM
Ole Woodworker
 
BigJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Chattanooga, Tennessee
Posts: 4,203
View BigJim's Photo Album My Photos
Just found a good explanation of a tangent rail fitting:


http://www.diychatroom.com/
The Other
BigJim

If you do what you've always done, you will get what you've always got.

Last edited by BigJim; 12-09-2018 at 08:55 AM.
BigJim is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #24 of 28 Old 12-09-2018, 10:48 AM
Smart and Cool
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 1,721
View shoot summ's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJim View Post
Just hang in there, a few years from now you will own your own company, you are paying for your education right now. Stair building is a good paying job, as you will see in the future. Learn how to make tangent rails and you will increase your pay, a lot. Standard stairs and radius stairs are just a system, tangent rails is more of an art and not many folks know how to build one.

Trying to understand the math and concept behind building a tangent rail is pretty in depth. The first two tangent rails I made, I laminated instead of cutting the fittings from a solid block. I am more of a doing/hands on person than a mathematician. The one thing that always made me sweat bullets was adding the profile to the fitting, that is the really hard part, for me anyway. No matter if you laminate the fitting or shape it from a solid block adding the profile is pretty much the same. OK this is getting too long so I will shut up.
I always cringe a little when I see/hear that...

Being a good craftsman, does not necessarily make you a good businessman. There is just as much to learn on the business side as there is to being a craftsman.

I know way more businessmen with successful companies than I know craftsman with successful companies.

Not to discourage, but to enlighten, a good business has a lot more going on than just producing a product.
shoot summ is online now  
post #25 of 28 Old 12-09-2018, 02:38 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 5,136
View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJim View Post
Just found a good explanation of a tangent rail fitting:

Tangent Handrail Animation - YouTube
Thanks BigJim, you just gave me a headache.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
FrankC is online now  
post #26 of 28 Old 12-09-2018, 02:42 PM
Ole Woodworker
 
BigJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Chattanooga, Tennessee
Posts: 4,203
View BigJim's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankC View Post
Thanks BigJim, you just gave me a headache.
LOL, Sorry Frank.

http://www.diychatroom.com/
The Other
BigJim

If you do what you've always done, you will get what you've always got.
BigJim is online now  
post #27 of 28 Old 12-09-2018, 02:49 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 5,136
View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoot summ View Post
I always cringe a little when I see/hear that...

Being a good craftsman, does not necessarily make you a good businessman. There is just as much to learn on the business side as there is to being a craftsman.

I know way more businessmen with successful companies than I know craftsman with successful companies.

Not to discourage, but to enlighten, a good business has a lot more going on than just producing a product.
I would guess the ultimate is someone that understands both the work and the business.

A good craftsman can only build one thing at a time, a good businessman can hire several good craftsmen to build several at a time.
shoot summ likes this.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
FrankC is online now  
post #28 of 28 Old 12-10-2018, 08:49 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Greeneville TN
Posts: 3
View Rayl's Photo Album My Photos
My two cents (was in management 34 yrs), talk to them, make it a dialogue. My question back at you would be "what do you want to be", you've already said you want to buy it, tell him that. Honestly goes both ways, be ready for it, maybe he thinks you have a loonnggg ways to go, if so, ask him what you need to do, etc. when you work for someone they have to know what you want. Good luck.
Rayl is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Advice on building a shop/maker space? skippman General Woodworking Discussion 7 09-06-2018 07:59 AM
Hi Folks I'm Searching For Advice Salty Dog General Woodworking Discussion 10 04-06-2018 08:02 PM
Advice for being a successful apprentice? mackman General Woodworking Discussion 4 10-23-2017 01:49 PM
Beginner needing advice on how to learn robertsfd2002 General Woodworking Discussion 16 06-15-2016 04:19 PM
Rustic dining table advice rookiewoodworker General Woodworking Discussion 18 09-19-2015 10:42 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome