the appearance of thick wood - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 07-23-2015, 07:46 PM Thread Starter

View Ken1966's Photo Album My Photos
the appearance of thick wood

I've come across some reclaimed quarter saw oak that measures about 3/4" thick by 15" to 16" wide by around 7' long I'd like to make a table top out of them but I'd like to make the boards appear to be thicker. Does anyone have any ideas on how to accomplish this?
Thanks
Ken
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-23-2015, 07:56 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
After gluing up the top you might glue a strip about 1 1/2" wide down each edge and then put a strip of end grain glue ups under the ends.
post #3 of 5 Old 07-23-2015, 08:38 PM

View bauerbach's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
After gluing up the top you might glue a strip about 1 1/2" wide down each edge and then put a strip of end grain glue ups under the ends.
Thatll certainly work.

There is a certain something about a solid chunk of wood where the grain is solid though. but you know... money.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 07-23-2015, 08:53 PM

View Tman1's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul
I did this on a cabinet I made. I glued up the top extra wide and extra long and used the cut offs for the bottom strips. I book matched the grain, but you may want to just shift the pieces, depending on the grain.
post #5 of 5 Old 07-23-2015, 11:06 PM

View Alchymist's Photo Album My Photos
Do a waterfall edge - rip a piece from the edge of the outside board at a 45° angle. Take the cut off piece and cut it at a 45° angle so that it goes back on the outside board at a right angle. Where the edges of the two meet should be pretty close to where the board separated.

Alexis de Tocqueville was a very smart man.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode