Anyone work with cultured marble? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 9 Old 12-06-2014, 12:42 AM Thread Starter

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Anyone work with cultured marble?

I have a customer that I will be replacing a vanity for and the game plan is to re-use the cultured marble top it has. The problem is who ever installed it did it wrong and the top has a major bow in it from sitting crooked on the cabinet for decades. My question is can the top be straightened out?

Most of the counter is sitting correctly on the cabinet however the left end the cabinet was too deep and the drop edge on the counter is sitting on top of the faceframe raising that corner 3/4". The new cabinet I will build will be a little more shallow in depth so that won't be an issue except for the twisted counter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-06-2014, 10:26 AM

View mako1's Photo Album My Photos
I've worked with a lot of cultured marble but never had this issue.Only thing I can think of would be to remove it and place it on a flat hard suface upside down and try heating it with a heat gun.Possibly applying some weight while doing this.
Just a guess Steve.
post #3 of 9 Old 12-06-2014, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mako1 View Post
I've worked with a lot of cultured marble but never had this issue.Only thing I can think of would be to remove it and place it on a flat hard suface upside down and try heating it with a heat gun.Possibly applying some weight while doing this.
Just a guess Steve.
Thanks for the info. I've never done anything with cultured marble other than install it. The counter will be removed because the cabinet and flooring will need to be removed. The house was flooded and the particleboard sub-floor is rotten. My part of the job will be to replace the cabinet and re-install the counter top. While it won't be held against me if I break the counter it would be a feather in my cap if I can pull it off. I thought about maybe using a heat gun however having never worked with cultured marble I was afraid the heat might damage it in some way. The counter will be able to be laid out for about three weeks before the new cabinet can be made.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 12-06-2014, 11:30 AM
Wood-a-holic

View wericha's Photo Album My Photos
Call Ralph Cordova Company in Rockwall, 972-771-4241. Helpful folks (or at least used to be) that I bought tops and tubs from several times.

If it isn't repairable, they will do custom sizes.

The tools don't make the craftsman......a true statement often overused by individuals who haven't a clue about quality tools or true craftsmanship.
post #5 of 9 Old 12-06-2014, 12:06 PM

View bauerbach's Photo Album My Photos
google suggests it is "bendable". might need extended heat beyond a heat gun, tube heater or something.
post #6 of 9 Old 12-08-2014, 11:57 PM

View harry nuckle's Photo Album My Photos
I have done this before.. very similar situation. When I did it I just glued the top on the vanity and clamped it on all the corners that touched (used weights on the back corner) then I set a heat gun in the vanity pointing straight up and left it on. Then I put a clamp on the corner sticking up and would keep putting more and more pressure over time as it heats up. It was like move 1/2 inch wait 30 mins and repeat. I got it down tight and it stayed but it took a couple hours of clamping. Ive seen these tops do this twice, this time we had dehumidifers and air movers running and the room got up to 140 degrees and the top was leaning against the wall. The other time a guy had a brand new one sitting in his hatchback during the summer and it came out like a banana!
post #7 of 9 Old 12-09-2014, 12:00 AM

View harry nuckle's Photo Album My Photos
One more thing, when I did it the offending corner was about three inches up. I would think you should have no problem with 3/4"
post #8 of 9 Old 12-09-2014, 12:38 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info Harry. I was thinking along the lines of putting a good bead of epoxy on that corner when I set it and clamp it down. It will be a couple of weeks before I can get a new cabinet made. I'm also going to have the counter set upside down flat on some 2x4's outside in the sun. Maybe we will have a few warm days between now and then to straighten it a little.
post #9 of 9 Old 03-23-2018, 04:13 PM

View JoeheAuthor's Photo Album My Photos
I have a similar problem with a cultured marble vanity top. The right front corner is bowed ever so slightly so that it is separated from the wooden vanity top by about 1/8 to 3/16. I want to screw up from beneath the top wooden stile into the counter top and tighten it up, thereby pulling it into contact with the wood. Can this be done? I would, of course apply some construction adhesive before screwing the cultured marble top to the wooden vanity top. I guess my main concern is whether or not a screw will hold in cultured marble?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode