Anyone who has built a poker table - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 11 Old 03-10-2012, 10:10 AM Thread Starter

View johnjf0622's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via AIM to johnjf0622
Anyone who has built a poker table

I was thinking about building a poker table. The thing is I wanted to not make it where it is just a table that is long for Texas Hold'em or just Octagon shaped. I was looking to do one like you would do if you are making a dining table that has leafs to expand it. What do you think about this. Crazy Idea???? Imposible???? DO I need a shrink????

I don't plan my day in advance cause the word "Premeditated" ends up flying around the court room.......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-10-2012, 01:42 PM

View PBizme's Photo Album My Photos
If you are thinking of building a poker table I'd spend some time on this forum: http://www.scottkeen.com/forum/viewf...2312e364fb2b3f

There are lots of good build threads on there and people who can give advice specific to building poker tables

I don't know about your whole leaf idea since you don't want seams on the playing surface but maybe someone there has done something similar
The Following User Says Thank You to PBizme For This Useful Post:
johnjf0622 (03-10-2012)
post #3 of 11 Old 03-10-2012, 01:51 PM
No Longer Here, BY CHOICE

View BassBlaster's Photo Album My Photos
I used to build custom tables. I made some pretty decent money on them but the market kinda dried up a couple years ago. When Moneymaker won the world series, hold-em exploded. Suddenly there were tournaments in every town, every weekend and everyone had to have thier own poker table!! So much that I even looked into renting tables for all these tournaments but never could get caught up on custom orders to build enough rental tables.

I agree with the other poster, you dont really want any seams on your playing surface. I personally prefer a seamless rail as well. Ive seen tables that are convertible to be used as a dining table also. Theres got to be a way to do what you want to do but I'm not sure how to go about it.

Go to the project showcase and do a search. There is a member here who builds some really nice custom tables. Maybe you can get some ideas from his posts.

RRBrown, knottscott and many others were banned, they didn't just leave. They were banned for standing up to the new owners that are destroying this site. Come join us all at woodworking chat, the best new woodworking site on the net!!
The Following User Says Thank You to BassBlaster For This Useful Post:
johnjf0622 (03-10-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 03-10-2012, 09:33 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjf0622 View Post
I was thinking about building a poker table. The thing is I wanted to not make it where it is just a table that is long for Texas Hold'em or just Octagon shaped. I was looking to do one like you would do if you are making a dining table that has leafs to expand it. What do you think about this. Crazy Idea???? Imposible???? DO I need a shrink????
Nothing at all crazy about that. I bought a game table about 40 years ago that fit that exact specification. The I ordered two extra leafs for it and it is now my dining table. Where I also play poker.

George
post #5 of 11 Old 03-10-2012, 11:35 PM

View Medic716's Photo Album My Photos
I built both but was never happy with the ones with seams never looked or played as nice as a whole table does. I could post some pics in the am of both one split table was made to fold up now converted to full table . If ya can do it all in one pice and make the legs fold or come off for storage.
post #6 of 11 Old 03-10-2012, 11:42 PM

Name:  image-334249294.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  26.4 KB

Found one on my phone moor later hope they help
post #7 of 11 Old 03-27-2012, 03:18 AM

Name:  image-1576874470.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  59.6 KB
post #8 of 11 Old 03-27-2012, 03:19 AM

Name:  image-4263120431.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  53.8 KB

The split table that was changed to one pice
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2851620626.jpg
Views:	1178
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	41840  

Attached Images

post #9 of 11 Old 03-27-2012, 03:35 AM
The New Guy

View Itchytoe's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjf0622 View Post
I think it's a good idea. Post some good pics so that I have something easy to copy later when I build tables for my game room. Crazy idea? no not really. Definitely not impossible. Yea, you probably need a shrink. This isn't why, but if you're like me, you should see one. They have cool white coats, and sometimes let you play in this room where you can't hurt yourself, and there's a ... uhh, nevermind.
post #10 of 11 Old 03-27-2012, 07:48 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medic716 View Post
I built both but was never happy with the ones with seams never looked or played as nice as a whole table does. I could post some pics in the am of both one split table was made to fold up now converted to full table . If ya can do it all in one pice and make the legs fold or come off for storage.
The seams in a table go away when you place a cover it with whatever color cloth you like. You would never play poker on a bare wood table.

The problem with most commercial, octogon poker tables is that they are just too small. My poker group has 7 players (I think that is a common number) and the common table just has the players constantly rubbing elbows.

The standard Texas Holdem table is not good for your standard poker game where there is no "dealer." The problem is that many of the players cannot reach the middle of the table and are constantly throwing chips which then bounce all over the place.

George
post #11 of 11 Old 03-27-2012, 08:35 AM

The black and white table was 2 pices with a hinge to fold in half the guy want to put it in the closet when not in use even the felt had a seam it did play well and I never want to build it that way but that's what he want at the time and the small blue table was made for my old poker room it was Only 9 x9!rooms so had to be small now the poker room is 25 by 45 building with all the tables in it

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode