Anyone watching the new Quest TV channel? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Tool Agnostic
  • 1 Post By Steve Neul
  • 1 Post By GeorgeC

post #1 of 16 Old 02-01-2018, 12:18 AM Thread Starter

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Anyone watching the new Quest TV channel?

There was quite a few interesting stories today. One show was about logging in a swamp. Another one showed pressure treating wood. Then there was a story about someone making a foundation for a school in New Orleans. The ground there was so wet there they were driving what look like telephone poles all the way into the ground to support a concrete foundation. There was also a story about a guy making wooden wheels for old cars. Part of the story showed that Henry Ford was making so many wooden wheels there was tons of wood scraps so he decided to turn the scrap into charcoal which they were selling and later the charcoal part of the company became Kingsford.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	99b3513da154c8cdeaa5468d715e3cf7.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	403.5 KB
ID:	338713  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 02-01-2018, 12:30 AM
Generic Weeb

View WeebyWoodWorker's Photo Album My Photos
Well that's certainly an interesting group of programs. I don't have actual TV (Plus you all know what kind of trash I watch) so I don't see many of these shows. What was it called? I'll have to look it up.

God I love Trigger. Inferno Cop is exactly the sort of idiocy they do, It's what makes them so cool. Met them all, great guys.
post #3 of 16 Old 02-01-2018, 12:59 AM Thread Starter

It's the third sub-channel of the ABC network.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 02-01-2018, 01:28 AM
Generic Weeb

View WeebyWoodWorker's Photo Album My Photos
I meant what the individual show talking about this stuff was called. Or is it one of those "Just look up it up until you find it" sort of things. I'll just do that and see what happens.

God I love Trigger. Inferno Cop is exactly the sort of idiocy they do, It's what makes them so cool. Met them all, great guys.
post #5 of 16 Old 02-01-2018, 06:08 AM

View ducbsa's Photo Album My Photos
The framing for the bodies was wood, so there was plenty of scraps to turn into money. http://www.fordwood.com/

I don't see a good candidate for the show here: http://www.questtv.com/shows Any tips for finding out more?

Last edited by ducbsa; 02-01-2018 at 06:11 AM.
post #6 of 16 Old 02-01-2018, 06:22 AM

View new2woodwrk's Photo Album My Photos
I have Dish Satellite - it's not part of our programming
post #7 of 16 Old 02-01-2018, 07:00 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
It's the third sub-channel of the ABC network.
I did not know there was a first or second subchannel. What TV signal source do you use and what is the channel number on that source?

George
post #8 of 16 Old 02-01-2018, 07:32 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeC View Post
I did not know there was a first or second subchannel. What TV signal source do you use and what is the channel number on that source?

George
I'm in Dallas and the main ABC channel is 8.1 . Then they have a weather forecast channel which is 8.2. Then they have a channel 8.3 which is the Justice Network. The channel 8.4 is the Quest channel I was talking about.

Today it doesn't look like they have as much about woodworking. There is though a show about how wood was used in civilization before steel and plastic. They are running the swamp loggers again. There is another one showing new ways of waterproofing a house to protect very heavy rains or floods.
post #9 of 16 Old 02-01-2018, 07:53 AM

View kklowell's Photo Album My Photos
With those channel numbers (which would be 6.4 here in southern Maine), it looks like over-the-air broadcasting and not cable or satellite. I have one of those antennas and may give it a try.
post #10 of 16 Old 02-01-2018, 08:44 AM

View Pineknot_86's Photo Album My Photos
I have Charter cable. I don't have any real good channels as Golf, DIY, American Heroes, RFD, etc., without paying a ton of $$$$ to buy the premium packages. Our Tennessee and Georgia public stations used to have some of the woodworking shows but now they are gone. My SIL has satellite with a lot of channels I can only wish for.

A diamond is how coal reacts under pressure.
post #11 of 16 Old 02-01-2018, 08:50 AM Thread Starter

Many years ago we had satellite tv but they seem to only have about a half dozen shows a month worth watching they re-run over and over so we got rid of it. Ever since then we've just had broadcast television.
post #12 of 16 Old 02-01-2018, 11:17 AM

What TV antenna's do you guys use for broadcast - I have one but can barely get 2 channels and they are both snowy no matter what I do
post #13 of 16 Old 02-01-2018, 01:48 PM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2woodwrk View Post
What TV antenna's do you guys use for broadcast - I have one but can barely get 2 channels and they are both snowy no matter what I do
Your ability to receive and watch over-the-air broadcasts depends so much on the geography of your specific area. Sometimes it is impossible to get good signals because of mountains and other obstructions. Those people resort to cable or satellite. Many small rural cable companies came into existence to provide regular over-the-air broadcasts to those who could not otherwise receive them.

Naming specific antennas is a waste of time without other context. We have a basic Winegard antenna. I have no idea which model number it is, but it looks like the typical home antenna of the 1950s or 1960s, with lots of little metal rods sticking out. I looked on Amazon, and it looks similar to the model HD8200U. It has always worked well for us, whether analog or digital signals.

I run the cable directly to a PCT MA28PN - an RF splitter/amplifier, which sends the antenna signal throughout the house. I have already observed that if I disconnect the power to the box (turn off the signal amplifier), the signal doesn't degrade, so I leave it off and it is just a basic 7-port splitter.

I live in Southern California. Nearly all over-the-air radio and television signals are broadcast from Mt. Wilson, near the observatory. (Bring your induction cookware with you so you can watch eggs fry near the broadcast antennas!) Most people in Southern California have a direct line-of-sight view of Mt. Wilson and get a very strong signal, but there are pockets all over where the hills and mountains block the view. Sometimes you can get a marginal signal and boost it with an amplifier. In my experience, that fails as often as it works. With today's digital broadcasts, most of the time the images are either very clean, or unwatchable.

Because your living situation (geographically) is unknown, it is difficult to recommend a specific remedy. The first thing to do might be to find a neighbor with a good signal, and ask them how they do it.

(Caveat emptor: By the way, the eggs comment was my attempt at humor, but I swear you can feel the static electricity on your arm hairs around there.)
new2woodwrk likes this.
post #14 of 16 Old 02-01-2018, 01:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I just use a 30 year old antenna I believe I bought at Radio Shack. Since I'm close to 100 miles from the broadcast towers I bought one with a 150 mile range. Since the world has gone digital the thing is pretty tempermental. The antenna has to be aimed at the broadcast towers within a degree or two of accuracy for it to work. I had to map it out and use a compass to get the antenna accurate enough.

According to this there is 9 channels within 63 miles of Panama City. https://nocable.org/availability-rep...panama-city-fl
new2woodwrk likes this.

Last edited by Steve Neul; 02-01-2018 at 04:08 PM.
post #15 of 16 Old 02-01-2018, 03:54 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
In Panama city you should get your 2 local (I think there are 2 local) channels, Dothan and Tallahassee with any decent antennae.

George
new2woodwrk likes this.
post #16 of 16 Old 02-01-2018, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeC View Post
In Panama city you should get your 2 local (I think there are 2 local) channels, Dothan and Tallahassee with any decent antennae.

George
Yah, that's about all I get LOL - which is why I have Satellite - I really abhor paying for TV - there was more on TV when I was kid and we only had what, 7 channels?

Now I have 200+ and only watch 4!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode