Anyone use a router edge guide? The type that secures to the router itself.. - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 12 Old 05-31-2011, 11:39 AM Thread Starter

View 240sxguy's Photo Album My Photos
Anyone use a router edge guide? The type that secures to the router itself..

I have a porter cable router and want to cut dadoes with it. I have the proper bits but need to cut the same distance from the bottom of the panel on about 5 different pieces. I would like to use a router guide that attaches to the router base.

Porter cable makes one; http://www.amazon.com/Porter-Cable-42690-Guide-Models-Routers/dp/B0000222V9
Are these things actually functional, or are they a pain in the ass to use? I am finally getting around to working on my kitchen cabinets and want to route the bottom of the side panels to accept the bottom of the cabinet.

My thought is this would give me the best repeatability. I also like the fact that It can be used for circles... I was originally looking at the router buddy but this looks just as effective and cheaper.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 05-31-2011, 12:03 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
I have an edge guide

For my PC 518 HD router. I used in this application to route the inside of this post cap for a column in the shop. It works the same as those you mentioned.

The problem I see/have with an attached edge guide is "any" movement from a continuous straight line will create a divot in the dado. Sometimes grain changes, not in plywood, can pull the router a bit and now you have a problem. A better way would be a "locked" two sided channel for a router guide bushing so that no lateral movement is possible. You may want to use a new "plywood" router bit which will fit the undersized plywood they are selling.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #3 of 12 Old 05-31-2011, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

I understand what you are saying and it makes sense. I did buy a set of whiteside plywood bits based on your suggestion to use a router to make dadoes when woodcraft had them for a great price months back. I have experienced the divot thing. It's not the end of the world if I get a small divot.

I will see what I can come up with to keep the base more stable though.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 05-31-2011, 12:07 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Many new routers come with an edge guide similar to the link. You can add to the face of the guide a straightedge to increase the stability of the router. This can be 12" or so. Laminating the face of the add on strip of wood with a Formica type laminate will allow it to slide easily. This will extend the straight line stability and control. Using pressure on the guide will control the direction of the router.

Last edited by cabinetman; 05-31-2011 at 12:09 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to cabinetman For This Useful Post:
Joe Lyddon (05-31-2011)
post #5 of 12 Old 05-31-2011, 12:22 PM

View Joe Lyddon's Photo Album My Photos
Cool

Well, this does not use the edge guide... but it may work for you...

Here is a Link to nice Router Dado jig...
http://www.woodworkstuff.net/CabManRteDadoJig.html
The Following User Says Thank You to Joe Lyddon For This Useful Post:
cabinetman (05-31-2011)
post #6 of 12 Old 05-31-2011, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Joe, it appears as if cabinetman directly above you designed this contraption. Pretty sweet!
The Following User Says Thank You to 240sxguy For This Useful Post:
cabinetman (05-31-2011)
post #7 of 12 Old 05-31-2011, 12:33 PM
ACP

View ACP's Photo Album My Photos
I use one a lot with my routers.
post #8 of 12 Old 06-01-2011, 06:25 AM
wood hacker

View ihackwood's Photo Album My Photos
i also say make a jig way better as you can customize it for your use imo
post #9 of 12 Old 06-01-2011, 07:06 AM

View Big Dave's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Yahoo to Big Dave
I havehttp://www.amazon.com/Milescraft-1203-TurnLock-Router-Cutting/dp/B0006U66D4/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1306926271&sr=8-9 one. Picked it up at Lowe's. Been happy with it so far.

Do one thing at a time, do it well, then move on.
www.bigdaveswoodworks.com
post #10 of 12 Old 06-01-2011, 11:54 AM
John

View jschaben's Photo Album My Photos
" I have a porter cable router and want to cut dadoes with it. I have the proper bits but need to cut the same distance from the bottom of the panel on about 5 different pieces. I would like to use a router guide that attaches to the router base. "

I dunno, several of my routers came with edge guides but I'm hard pressed to remember last time I used one. I usually use a jig similar to the one posted above.
That said, in focusing on the specific job in the OP, I think the edge guide is probably the right tool. Especially if the dados are close to the end of the board. JMHO
post #11 of 12 Old 06-01-2011, 01:33 PM

View Pirate's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by 240sxguy View Post
I have a porter cable router and want to cut dadoes with it. I have the proper bits but need to cut the same distance from the bottom of the panel on about 5 different pieces. I would like to use a router guide that attaches to the router base.

Porter cable makes one; Amazon.com: Porter-Cable 42690 Edge Guide (for Models 100, 690, 691, 693, 891, 892, 893 Routers): Home Improvement

Are these things actually functional, or are they a pain in the ass to use? I am finally getting around to working on my kitchen cabinets and want to route the bottom of the side panels to accept the bottom of the cabinet.

My thought is this would give me the best repeatability. I also like the fact that It can be used for circles... I was originally looking at the router buddy but this looks just as effective and cheaper.

I'm just a hobby ww'er, and buy and sell tools, picked up from yard sales, etc. I make 99% of all jigs/fixtures I need.
But, when my Paypal account was getting excessive,from tool sales, I splurged on the PC guide in the link above. I really like it. Easy to make fine adjustments.
post #12 of 12 Old 06-06-2011, 07:35 PM

View icrusbound's Photo Album My Photos
For really long pieces, the previously suggested methods are the ticket. If you are going under 3 or 4 feet along the dado and less than a few feet from an edge, just cutting an offset board seems like the best to me. If explanation is required, see below.

Get the offset of leading or trailing edge of the bit from the edge of the router (should be a reasonably round number since the router base and bit size should be a somewhat round number) and rip a piece of plywood to the correct width to offset the router the correct amount. Then, place both the offsetter and the piece to be routed snug against a fence and clamp with the offsetter on top. You can cut an offset for the piece you are routing as well if necessary to get enough offset (for dados close to the edge), and lay it next to the piece instead of on top of it, then use the fence itself to run the router against. Or you can measure from the top instead of the bottom and flip the piece around. I have tried various ways of accomplishing what you are trying to. I also have the Porter Cable attachment you linked to. I use it sometimes, and it is nice, but a cut piece of 3/4 plywood is very repeatable, never changes, and I feel like I have more control riding the router along it. Also, quite cheap, especially if you have plywood scraps laying around.

So, leading edge of router bit is 2 5/8" from edge of router. You want the dado to start 1/2" in from the board edge. You can cut a single board 2 1/8", lay it next to the work piece so it is set up as fence, then spacer, then workpiece. Clamp. Run the router along the fence. For larger offsets eventually the spacer moves to the top of the piece and both go against fence. It only gets a little silly if you are trying it for pieces 3 or 4 feet long with a dado down the middle.

I know that is overly wordy, but there it is.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode