Anyone ever built their own coffin? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 12Likes

post #1 of 32 Old 07-07-2020, 07:42 AM Thread Starter

View allpurpose's Photo Album My Photos
Anyone ever built their own coffin?

I keep thinking about building my own since I have noticed that I've ceased to become any younger lately. In fact I've completely given up on the idea of getting younger so that day of reckoning is getting closer and closer. The problem isn't so much building it or even the cost of materials (pine), but where the heck would I store the darned thing in the meantime? I suppose I could always make it into a temporary dining table or even a coffee table. Any ideas? I suppose I could use it as a not so comfy bed to sleep in, but the Mrs. probably wouldn't go for trying to squeeze in with me at night. She's a bit wider than I am anyway.
I figure I have about another 15-20 years before I really have to consider such a contraption, but I don't wanna wait too long until the old muscles and joints no longer want to cooperate with this plan.
Check that time frame..with the pandemic ongoing I may decide that I have at best another 10 years before I have to decide. I could just plea poverty and opt for potters field and a cardboard box.. Once I am no longer it really doesn't matter to me. My kids might have other plans..

I figured it's time to change my signature so hold your breath. This is it.
Impressive, huh?
Marty or Marty Farty if you feel mean.

Last edited by allpurpose; 07-07-2020 at 07:48 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 07-07-2020, 08:03 AM

View John Smith_inFL's Photo Album My Photos
interestingly enough, I bought the book on the subject way long time ago.
even bought a bunch of cherry boards.
just never could get started on it. . . . .
storing it was also a factor. who wants to have their own coffin laying around ?
I think that if you go into it with the mindset that it is not for anyone in particular,
but, for a close friend or family member that passes next, they can have it.
that might help with everyone's emotions when they have to look at it.
totally your call on that one !!!

there is no educational alternative to having a front row seat in the School of Hard Knocks.

Last edited by John Smith_inFL; 07-07-2020 at 08:06 AM.
post #3 of 32 Old 07-07-2020, 08:09 AM Thread Starter

View allpurpose's Photo Album My Photos
Most of my family has opted for cremation. I don't like the idea of being burned myself and don't particularly like what they call what's left over..Cremains.. It sounds too much like some kind of delicious breakfast cereal. Try a bowl of delicious cremains for breakfast!
I have two containers of cremains now just waiting for the rest of the family to decide what to do with them. I've made two urns, but neither has been sealed shut yet.

I figured it's time to change my signature so hold your breath. This is it.
Impressive, huh?
Marty or Marty Farty if you feel mean.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 Old 07-07-2020, 08:28 AM

View JIMMIEM's Photo Album My Photos
I've thought about it. Also thought about building one for my wife's mother......my wife picked out a fairly expensive one for he mother which we will wind up paying for.....I could build it for less and it would be a good project....saw some plans in a magazine.
How about a bookcase? Stand it up and add shelving. If you make the shelving adjustable the shelves would be easily removable.
post #5 of 32 Old 07-07-2020, 09:15 AM

View furnacefighter15's Photo Album My Photos
I like the bookcase idea. My wife is pretty big into Halloween decor. I myself am partial to the styles seen in old western type movies, and do think that shape would make for a cool bookshelf.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Dave H
post #6 of 32 Old 07-07-2020, 09:24 AM
Wood machinist

View difalkner's Photo Album My Photos
Given my slant toward levity and whimsical, if I were to build mine I would add an obvious way to open it from the inside just to get a chuckle out of those who saw it and could appreciate the humor.

David

David

Curly Wood Shop on Etsy
David Falkner - Woodworking YouTube channel and Instagram
Our music at church - current videos Airline Baptist BC Facebook Live
Romans 3:23
post #7 of 32 Old 07-07-2020, 09:30 AM

View johnedp34's Photo Album My Photos
https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C...w=1255&bih=640

Plenty of examples on the net. also some made of wicker work. I live in the Fens and lots of willow weavers in this area.
Main problem in UK is cost of the ground for burial so most are cremated.
"Frying Tonight" in my case. Time maybe not too far away as I am 86.
johnep
post #8 of 32 Old 07-07-2020, 10:14 AM

View Rebelwork's Photo Album My Photos
I've considered it with the new laws. My sister is a retired seamstress with a casket making company in Tennessee. .
post #9 of 32 Old 07-07-2020, 10:29 AM

View John Smith_inFL's Photo Album My Photos
David - that right there is funny - no matter where you're from !!!

Anyone ever built their own coffin?-exit.jpg

difalkner likes this.

there is no educational alternative to having a front row seat in the School of Hard Knocks.
post #10 of 32 Old 07-07-2020, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnedp34 View Post
https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C...w=1255&bih=640

Plenty of examples on the net. also some made of wicker work. I live in the Fens and lots of willow weavers in this area.
Main problem in UK is cost of the ground for burial so most are cremated.
"Frying Tonight" in my case. Time maybe not too far away as I am 86.
johnep
Recently I've been seeing a lot of TV commercials for 'burial at sea' services. Your mentioning the cost of real estate brought it to mind.
post #11 of 32 Old 07-07-2020, 10:54 AM

View redeared's Photo Album My Photos
We are going be cremated so I will save the wood for other things. If I did turning an urn would be an option maybe, but I doubt it.
post #12 of 32 Old 07-07-2020, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redeared View Post
We are going be cremated so I will save the wood for other things. If I did turning an urn would be an option maybe, but I doubt it.
Don't you have to be in some sort of coffin/box for the cremation? I remember a news story several years ago where a crematorium would sell the family a nice wooden box, then put the body in a cardboard box for the actual cremation and then resell the wooden box over and over. Finally got caught.
post #13 of 32 Old 07-07-2020, 11:58 AM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMMIEM View Post
Don't you have to be in some sort of coffin/box for the cremation? I remember a news story several years ago where a crematorium would sell the family a nice wooden box, then put the body in a cardboard box for the actual cremation and then resell the wooden box over and over. Finally got caught.
Not here in Southern California. When we faced those issues, the basic cremation service did not require a coffin for the actual cremation. I can't remember if one was offered, but we would have declined. We were offered a choice of urns for the ashes, from basic to very elaborate and expensive. The basic urn was plastic-coated plywood, or something like that. It was not fancy. We chose a basic urn because it was never taken home. It was interred (sealed in a wall) at a church. The cost of cremation was very reasonable.

We recently had a cemetery burial. The cost to open, bury, and fill a cemetery plot was six times the cost of cremation. That fee also included a required concrete liner. The cemetery plot itself had been bought and paid in full decades earlier.

We paid separately for mortuary services and a basic casket, and the fees for them were about the same as the open/close fees at the cemetery. All in all, the cost of burial was well over ten times the cost of cremation, and that was a case where the cemetery plot was fully paid for earlier.
post #14 of 32 Old 07-07-2020, 12:09 PM
That Guy

View JayArr's Photo Album My Photos
I told my wife to leave me at the curb on recycle day in a blue plastic bag.
mjadams61, homestd and PB Woodshop like this.
post #15 of 32 Old 07-07-2020, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool Agnostic View Post
Not here in Southern California. When we faced those issues, the basic cremation service did not require a coffin for the actual cremation. I can't remember if one was offered, but we would have declined. We were offered a choice of urns for the ashes, from basic to very elaborate and expensive. The basic urn was plastic-coated plywood, or something like that. It was not fancy. We chose a basic urn because it was never taken home. It was interred (sealed in a wall) at a church. The cost of cremation was very reasonable.

We recently had a cemetery burial. The cost to open, bury, and fill a cemetery plot was six times the cost of cremation. That fee also included a required concrete liner. The cemetery plot itself had been bought and paid in full decades earlier.

We paid separately for mortuary services and a basic casket, and the fees for them were about the same as the open/close fees at the cemetery. All in all, the cost of burial was well over ten times the cost of cremation, and that was a case where the cemetery plot was fully paid for earlier.
We recently went to prearrange for my wife's mother's funeral. You are right....quite pricey. One cost that jumped out was the cost to open and close the grave.....$2000 on a weekday and $2500 on a weekend. I jokingly asked if I could do the digging myself. I was told I could but would still have to pay the $2000 or $2500.
Tool Agnostic likes this.
post #16 of 32 Old 07-07-2020, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayArr View Post
Our recycle and trash pickup are on the same day so I have the option to go in whichever barrel has more room. As a fallback we also have large item pick up which can be arranged on 1 day's notice. All my bases are covered. The coffin bookcase can be sold and the proceeds used for a little party......everybody would have to social distance except for me.
One thing that puzzles me is why the word 'fun' is in funeral?

Last edited by JIMMIEM; 07-07-2020 at 12:28 PM.
post #17 of 32 Old 07-07-2020, 12:34 PM

View johnedp34's Photo Album My Photos
I have never been to a miserable wake. Here in UK funerals have become a way of celebrating someones life. A drop or two of alcohol at the wake soon gets everyone recalling happy memories of the departed.
johnep
gmercer_48083 and hoowasat like this.
post #18 of 32 Old 07-07-2020, 12:55 PM

View _Ogre's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayArr View Post
Our recycle and trash pickup are on the same day so I have the option to go in whichever barrel has more room.
you guys are killing me, hopefully jayarr chooses the compost day vs recycle day. i'd hate to open that bag

i'm all for cremation. that i know of, no one has visited any of the grave sites our family is buried in. no one lives close by and imo, once your dead, you could care less. as for have cremains laying around, that's just creepy. my father is in the landfill. he was a civil engineer during the conversion from dumps to landfills. a fitting end for a self proclaimed garbologist.

i have my desire to be cremated and my disposal into a NC lake in my will, so that no one has to make the decision.
mjadams61 likes this.
post #19 of 32 Old 07-07-2020, 01:46 PM

Another option for what to do with a coffin until it is needed for burial.......build a row boat. You can enjoy it while you can and then (drum roll, please) have a Viking funeral. Don't have to buy a burial plot, don't have to remove the books or knick-knacks (if that's what you used it for) and no real clean-up. Just need a bow and arrow set, some gasoline, and a couple of strong backs to launch the boat. Do it at sunset......unforgettable memory.
One thing the boat has going for it is you don't have to build a cover. If you go the bookcase route the cover could be used as a table top, workbench top, etc.
post #20 of 32 Old 07-07-2020, 03:04 PM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
We recently went to prearrange for my wife's mother's funeral. You are right....quite pricey. One cost that jumped out was the cost to open and close the grave.....$2000 on a weekday and $2500 on a weekend. I jokingly asked if I could do the digging myself. I was told I could but would still have to pay the $2000 or $2500.
That matches our experience. $2500 to open the grave on a weekday, $3000 on a weekend. We were hostage to whatever price they demanded. They used a backhoe, not a crew with shovels. Obviously it was pure profit, minus the cost of the government required concrete liner. We did not offer to dig it ourselves.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode