Anyone built a segmented garage door? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 10-17-2015, 04:59 PM Thread Starter

View blobula's Photo Album My Photos
Anyone built a segmented garage door?

Hello,

I'm curious if anyone here has ever built a segmented garage door about 8' x 7' before? I saw a couple thread on this forum talking about carriage style doors, but I haven't really been able to find a good guide around actually building one. I have all the tools needed I'm sure just not sure of how complicated and time consuming it is. Any links you could point me to would be appreciated.

I'm curious what materials would make up an insulated door. Would it be as simple as this?

Cedar boards for frame.
Sheets of ACX plywood front and back with Owens Corning sheathing insulation between them?
All seams caulked

What is a good insulation rating for a door? It seems an R value of 6 is the most common.

Another option is to just buy a cheap insulated door.

Basic garage door

I have a house that was built in the 60s and it still has the original door on it which is starting to deteriorate.

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-17-2015, 08:41 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
The door should be 9'x7'. For what you are doing it would be so much easier and better to buy a sheet metal door. It would be lighter in weight and easier to insulate. Building out of wood I believe you would need to very strong spring to counter the weight of a wood door. Then there would be a lot of maintenance trying to keep the door from rotting.

As far as building the door it would be very similar in procedure as building any other door. Use as much as possible water resistant materials and adhesives as much as possible. Cedar is weather resistant but not very structurally sound for the frame. If you could get some pressure treated pine and stack it up with sticks between it and allow the wood to dry, it would work well for you.
post #3 of 5 Old 10-18-2015, 07:50 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
I remember a wood overhead door

That thing was brutally heavy. If I wanted a "wood look" door I would just attach light weight, thin panels to an insulated steel door. The panels could be made from a Marine plywood and stained or painted to achieve the desired effect. The lifter would have to compensate for the added weight of the panels. It would be the easiest way to get your wood look.

Another idea would be to use a wood grain plastic laminate as used on counter tops. Many grain types and colors are available and it may weigh less than a plywood substrate.

Finally, a Faux wood grain could be applied with a skilled paint application.....

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 10-18-2015, 10:19 AM Thread Starter

View blobula's Photo Album My Photos
Thank you for your thoughts. Think I'll just go purchase a door and attach what I want to it.
post #5 of 5 Old 11-16-2015, 11:59 AM
I paint therefore I am

View Faux Wood Paint Pro's Photo Album My Photos
Faux Wood Painted Doors

Hey blobula

Some of my students (pro and hobbyist) are graining steel, vinyl and fiberglass garage (and other) doors with great success...

Let me know if I can answer any questions.

Curious to see what you come up with.

Making things look like other things since 1972.
PerfectWoodGrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode