Anybody use a Ridgid Oscillating Edge Belt / Spindle Sander ? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 13 Old 11-27-2016, 09:28 AM Thread Starter

View TwoRails's Photo Album My Photos
Anybody use a Ridgid Oscillating Edge Belt / Spindle Sander ?

Hi All. Anybody use a Ridgid Oscillating Edge Belt / Spindle Sander? Like it? Hate it? (https://www.ridgid.com/us/en/oscilla...spindle-sander)

I'm thinking of getting one. The YouTube reviews I found on it are pretty positive, However, the written reviews I've found suggest that it has motor problems; i.e. many folks had the motor go out very quickly.

Do you find it useful? Or do you just turn your belt sander sideways? etc...

Opinions? Comments?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 11-27-2016, 11:22 AM
RAM Man

View sweensdv's Photo Album My Photos
I've had one for years and can't give it enough praise. Being a benchtop tool it doesn't have the heft of a floor model but then it costs hundreds less than the least expensive floor model. I've read very few negative reviews on this sander but far more positive ones. My 02 is that I think you'll be very happy with this sander.

Dave

Life is like a roll of toilet paper.
The closer it gets to the end, the faster it goes.
post #3 of 13 Old 11-27-2016, 11:31 AM

View Kerrys's Photo Album My Photos
I have one. I find it useful. The working surface of the belt/edge sander is a bit short. If you are trying to sand long edges like a cabinet door edge it is tricky but for smaller work it is ok. The spindle sander is more useful for me. As for money spent vs. amount of use/usefulness for me the piece is kind of a push.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 11-27-2016, 11:50 AM
DRTYBYRD

View abetrman's Photo Album My Photos
I have one as well and do find it useful. I will agree with Kerrys comment regarding the lack of length available for edge sanding. Did not have a scope of planned usage when I first purchased it. If that is not an issue for you, I can recommend it as a useful tool.
post #5 of 13 Old 11-27-2016, 01:28 PM

View TomCT2's Photo Album My Photos
bought one. shudda' done that years ago . . .

Rule #1 - there is no one tool that does everything. pick something that does what you need to do.

comments:
no, it does not have a super-powerful motor. you can stall it. then again, if you're sanding something that hard, might ask "why?"

agreed - it is not an 8 foot long machine fence. if you do a lot of long stuff, I'd build a long table with a tweakable fence. 24-36" stuff is entirely doable.

the miter slot width in the (plastic) table is the poorest design point on the machine - it is sloppy sloppy wide - wider than any 'standard' miter gauge rail w/ allen screws will accommodate. I made special width rails & "special sleds" to work 90' with the machine. a long sled without the 90' support is quite useful for longer pieces.

belt tracking is the best I've ever had on anything with a belt.

changing belts is easier/faster than any other bench top/floor model I've seen used ala ShopFox etc.
I've always dreaded having to change a belt grits for short/special tasks - the Rigid is so easy, that alone is a huge bonus.

tracking adjustment is rarely needed when changing belts if they have already been used. going from grit A to grit B, if grit B belt is totally new-out-of-the-box, it may require a tweak - which is done with a knob right on the top - tool-less

not had any issues with reliability - Rigid offered a free life-time warranty when I bought mine - just register with proof of purchase.
post #6 of 13 Old 11-27-2016, 02:45 PM

View bargoon's Photo Album My Photos
I have one too. Like the fact that it has a spindle sander and edge sander on one machine. It is quick and easy to change between the two. Also like the up & down action of the edge sander.
post #7 of 13 Old 11-27-2016, 11:28 PM

View michaelpugh's Photo Album My Photos
I don't have one. Been kicking around the idea of buying one too. Just the other day I was looking at a woodworking magazine that was comparing all different types of woodworking machines. When they got to oscillating spindle sanders this is the one. They had several different ratings on each variety of tool, best value, best overall, and something else I can't remember :) this is the only tool that I saw win every rating.

wish I had a cool line like everyone else...
post #8 of 13 Old 11-28-2016, 02:07 PM

View Stevedore's Photo Album My Photos
I have one, and have used it quite a bit. The table on mine is metal, not plastic as another poster reported. Maybe they changed?

I agree that the slot is a bit wide, but I use a miter gage that I modified with several allen screws to eliminate any slop,and it works fine.

I'm basically a part time hobby woodworker, and this serves me well, especially considering the reasonable price.
post #9 of 13 Old 11-28-2016, 05:06 PM Thread Starter

View TwoRails's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks for all the feedback and nice tips, too. And I find the lack of negative posts very telling that it's a good product. The spindle sander function I see as real handy. The belt sander I'm sure I'll use a lot, too, as it's vertical, and oscillating. Now to eat some more beans, rice, and Top Roman to finish saving up the $$, LOL.

Again, Thanks! :)
post #10 of 13 Old 02-16-2020, 08:33 AM

View jpaskell's Photo Album My Photos
Anyone with a Ridgid spindle sander have an issue with the sander not starting and having to "spin" the belt by hand to get it started? I've read many reviews that give this sander a less than 5 star review.
Just considering purchasing one and question this issue.
Thanks,
Jim
post #11 of 13 Old 02-16-2020, 09:30 AM

View Quickstep's Photo Album My Photos
My first sander lasted about a month before it stopped working. I took it back and exchanged to for another that has been working ever since. I think you can’t beat it for the price. I do often wish it was possible to disable the oscillating function.
post #12 of 13 Old 02-17-2020, 09:38 AM

View Stevedore's Photo Album My Photos
Old thread, but I'll add another comment: On mine, the up/down oscillating motion stops briefly at the bottom of its travel. Probably less than a second, but it could possibly add a few scratches, reducing the benefits of the oscillation. I have no idea whether they all do this or not. If mine blew up, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one.

To answer jpaskell's question, mine has always started quickly by itself; no problems at all.
post #13 of 13 Old 02-17-2020, 10:32 AM

View Tom-G's Photo Album My Photos
I bought mine years ago. Works fine. The only issue is that the rubber feet tend to come off when moving it around. I think one got vacuumed up with sawdust at one point. So I ordered extras when I replaced that one.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode