Anybody ever build a coffin? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 19 Old 01-24-2013, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
Bark

View Bait's Photo Album My Photos
Anybody ever build a coffin?

Off and on over the years I have pondered buidling my coffin. Hate to start to early, dont want to store it for 40 years. Hate to wait to long and find myself needing one and not having it finished

Matching set for me and the wife, insulated for her since she is always cold, AC unit for mine, Pillow top mattress, silk sheets, built in light maybe some inlays on the outside warning the bugs off, and some hidden compartments inside with a few tools in case I find myself needing to dig my way out. not that I have thought about it much.....

Just curious, anybody ever tackle a coffin for a loved one, themselves, friend???

Would be the ultimate wood working project in my opinion

I married better than my wife did.
One of the countries greatest mistakes was schools cutting shop classes due to budget issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 01-24-2013, 08:40 PM

View mengtian's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bait View Post
Off and on over the years I have pondered buidling my coffin. Hate to start to early, dont want to store it for 40 years. Hate to wait to long and find myself needing one and not having it finished

Matching set for me and the wife, insulated for her since she is always cold, AC unit for mine, Pillow top mattress, silk sheets, built in light maybe some inlays on the outside warning the bugs off, and some hidden compartments inside with a few tools in case I find myself needing to dig my way out. not that I have thought about it much.....

Just curious, anybody ever tackle a coffin for a loved one, themselves, friend???

Would be the ultimate wood working project in my opinion
I would just need to turn a urn or a bowl
post #3 of 19 Old 01-24-2013, 08:44 PM

View SebringDon's Photo Album My Photos
I'm not sure that's allowed anymore. I think caskets have to meet certain standards and be certified at manufacture.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 01-24-2013, 08:52 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Anybody ever build a coffin?

Nope, but I've been dying to try.......

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
The Following User Says Thank You to woodnthings For This Useful Post:
Dominick (01-24-2013)
post #5 of 19 Old 01-24-2013, 08:58 PM

View trc65's Photo Album My Photos
There have been several threads over the last couple of years on building your own. Do a search on coffin or casket.

"Good Behavior is the last refuge of mediocrity" -- Henry S. Haskins
post #6 of 19 Old 01-24-2013, 09:34 PM
crosseyed & dyslexic

View Crusader's Photo Album My Photos
Maybe it was Woodworkers Supply or rocklers that had a catalog with all the trimmings for a build your own.
You can still make your own casket, but there are states that won't allow you to be cremated in a DIY'ers casket.

Personally I think it would be cool to build one out of wooden match sticks, maybe I don't know half a million. That might be too much, but either way FLAME ON!!!
post #7 of 19 Old 01-24-2013, 10:42 PM
Cowboy up and do just it

View vursenbach's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader
Maybe it was Woodworkers Supply or rocklers that had a catalog with all the trimmings for a build your own.
You can still make your own casket, but there are states that won't allow you to be cremated in a DIY'ers casket.

Personally I think it would be cool to build one out of wooden match sticks, maybe I don't know half a million. That might be too much, but either way FLAME ON!!!
Rocklers

Sent from my iPhone using Wood Forum

Typed from iPhone, please forgive the fat fingers
post #8 of 19 Old 01-24-2013, 10:59 PM

View against_the_grain's Photo Album My Photos
Just was wondering if there was some kind of story you would like to share about the
possibility of having a/c in yours ?
The Following User Says Thank You to against_the_grain For This Useful Post:
vinnypatternmaker (01-25-2013)
post #9 of 19 Old 01-25-2013, 01:14 AM Thread Starter
Bark

View Bait's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by against_the_grain View Post
Just was wondering if there was some kind of story you would like to share about the
possibility of having a/c in yours ?
I think you got the inference

I married better than my wife did.
One of the countries greatest mistakes was schools cutting shop classes due to budget issues.
post #10 of 19 Old 01-25-2013, 03:13 AM
Gold Coast. OZ

View STAR's Photo Album My Photos
I built one about five years ago. It was a great success, everybody kept opening it up to have a look.

I built a stand for it and put it on the deck. It was a bit heavy to move, but everybody agreed it was a good idea.

Now, I hasten to add it was one of the central themes for a Halloween Party that we had. The coffin was lined with foam and then plastic to make it a cooler and waterproof. Then filled with ice and then Wine and beer.

We also put dry ice in it so it would appear steam was coming out of it. We even had the authentic chrome handles that were given to us from a staff member at a Crematorium. Apparently, they are taken off before inceneration. They are not chrome but plastic really. It pays to have contacts.

My daughter had spent about eight years in the States and that's where she got the idea of a Halloween Party.

Pete
post #11 of 19 Old 01-25-2013, 05:11 AM

View Tommie Hockett's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by STAR View Post
I built one about five years ago. It was a great success, everybody kept opening it up to have a look.

I built a stand for it and put it on the deck. It was a bit heavy to move, but everybody agreed it was a good idea.

Now, I hasten to add it was one of the central themes for a Halloween Party that we had. The coffin was lined with foam and then plastic to make it a cooler and waterproof. Then filled with ice and then Wine and beer.

We also put dry ice in it so it would appear steam was coming out of it. We even had the authentic chrome handles that were given to us from a staff member at a Crematorium. Apparently, they are taken off before inceneration. They are not chrome but plastic really. It pays to have contacts.

My daughter had spent about eight years in the States and that's where she got the idea of a Halloween Party.

Pete

Do yall not celebrate halloween over there
post #12 of 19 Old 01-25-2013, 07:35 AM
Gold Coast. OZ

View STAR's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommie Hockett View Post
Do yall not celebrate halloween over there

Actually, no. It is no great deal here. Yes! We know about it, Trick or treat, etc. It is like a lot of celebrations, we seem to be a bit more laid back.

Now, my family is very American orientated. I have been to the States three times, My wife about six, Daughter No1. about six times and she lived in Omaha for about eight and daughter No 2 is a Flight Attendant for the Big kangaroo and flies to the States about eight to twelve times a year.

You guys celebrate your big days more then us, we just do it in a more relaxed way. But i can tell you that Halloween Party was as American as you can get and the fifty guests really went out of their way to dress up to the extreme.

Marsha Stewart would have been proud of us.

Pete
post #13 of 19 Old 01-25-2013, 07:44 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
My father passed away in 1977, after a long illness. A plot at the cemetery was already paid for, which was next to my mother, who passed away in 1963.

The only arrangements to be made were for the funeral home, casket, etc. I had been in business for 7 years at that time. I thought what a great tribute for my father would be for me to make his casket. Well, the funeral home, and a few others that I checked with don't accept caskets from any sources other than their own.

It seemed that there is a controlled distributorship on those things. If you think about it, what other commodity is likely to never go out of being needed. I wouldn't doubt for a minute that the companies involved are "connected". Maybe like "You stab 'em...we slab 'em".

So, I had to do it their way. But, what was interesting was one of the funeral homes I called commented that if I could make full sized caskets, why not make caskets for pets, inferring that it could be very lucrative. I found out that many people spend more money on pets than their parents.

As for myself I'll probably make my own if a deal can be made with a funeral home. I don't believe in cremation. I think about what our soul is (if there is such a thing). It may represent what we managed to contribute to life while we were alive. Once we die our soul may be sustained by those that survive us.

For example, how my father lived and what kind of man he was in life, is how I now think of him. I bring to thoughts his soul...so to speak. How we have lived is probably how the thoughts of us are brought back to life when others think of us. IOW, if we were good, that's how we will be thought of. If we were bad...bad thoughts.

To be buried leaves some semblance (our remains) to exist. To me getting cremated destroys all evidence of our presence. It seems more of punishment than anything else.

The Following User Says Thank You to cabinetman For This Useful Post:
byrd (01-25-2013)
post #14 of 19 Old 01-25-2013, 07:48 AM

View Joeb41's Photo Album My Photos
Here's one you can put to good use until your time comes.

http://www.casketplans.com/?p=168

Joe B. 41
post #15 of 19 Old 01-25-2013, 08:10 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Can't say for sure, but I got this in email noting it was for Anna Nicole Smith.
Anybody ever build a coffin?-annanicole.jpg

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cabinetman For This Useful Post:
byrd (01-25-2013), dat (01-25-2013), STAR (01-25-2013)
post #16 of 19 Old 01-25-2013, 08:26 AM

View JLinWV's Photo Album My Photos
Looks about right
post #17 of 19 Old 01-25-2013, 10:29 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
I think the first step would be to find out if the government would allow it. In Texas you could do it as long as a concrete vault was used. Here in most areas they even still allow private cemeteries on you own property.
post #18 of 19 Old 01-25-2013, 10:58 AM

View bradnailer's Photo Album My Photos
I built this piece a while back to store our lawn chairs in.

I told my family they could use it for my coffin. Even though it was too short I said they could just fold me up and put me in.

However, I've since decided to be cremated so I'm gonna turn an urn now.
post #19 of 19 Old 01-25-2013, 12:51 PM
dat

View dat's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by SebringDon View Post
I'm not sure that's allowed anymore. I think caskets have to meet certain standards and be certified at manufacture.
different states have different regulations, in Texas all you need is to be covered (even just a sheet will work) then be covered with at least 16 inches of dirt. you'll have to check with the state regulations and your local funeral home

Last edited by dat; 01-25-2013 at 12:54 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode