any unusual wood Christmas gift ideas we can make? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 11Likes
  • 3 Post By difalkner
  • 5 Post By BigJim
  • 2 Post By Tool Agnostic
  • 1 Post By cassidy

post #1 of 17 Old 09-07-2020, 10:43 AM Thread Starter

View cassidy's Photo Album My Photos
any unusual wood Christmas gift ideas we can make?

Thinking about maybe making some wood Christmas gifts for family and friends. Needs to be small enough to fit into a gift box for under the tree. I am aware of music boxes and clocks. Any unusual ideas out there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 09-07-2020, 10:11 PM

View GaryCK's Photo Album My Photos
Neither is at all unusual, but I've made coaster sets and cutting boards for friends and family in recent years. Both were quite well received.
post #3 of 17 Old 09-07-2020, 10:19 PM

View GaryCK's Photo Album My Photos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 09-07-2020, 10:28 PM
Wood machinist

View difalkner's Photo Album My Photos
I've made a few different things through the years:

Exotic wood letter openers -
any unusual wood Christmas gift ideas we can make?-1-letter-openers.jpg

Spalted Maple and Ebony clocks -
any unusual wood Christmas gift ideas we can make?-2-spalted-maple-clocks.jpg

The following year I made 'alarms' for everyone who got a clock. Of course, you have to strike the 'alarm' to hear it but people still enjoyed this. I made a few tape dispensers, as well -
any unusual wood Christmas gift ideas we can make?-3-tape-dispenser-clocks-alarm.jpg

I believe these are called burr puzzles and I made a dozen of these -
any unusual wood Christmas gift ideas we can make?-6-new-puzzle.jpg

And we made small cutting boards or cheese boards for our Sunday School class, church staff, and a handful of friends -
any unusual wood Christmas gift ideas we can make?-finished-cutting-boards.jpg

David

David

Curly Wood Shop on Etsy
David Falkner - Woodworking YouTube channel and Instagram
Our music at church - current videos Airline Baptist BC Facebook Live
Romans 3:23
post #5 of 17 Old 09-07-2020, 11:39 PM
Ole Woodworker

View BigJim's Photo Album My Photos
How about some wooden flowers? Do a search on wooden flowers, you might be amazed. Also look on youtube how to make them. I just don't have that much patience.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wooden Flowers.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	134.4 KB
ID:	395059  

http://www.diychatroom.com/

BigJim

Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.
The Following User Says Thank You to BigJim For This Useful Post:
raindog308 (09-13-2020)
post #6 of 17 Old 09-08-2020, 06:57 AM

View allpurpose's Photo Album My Photos
How about just chunks of cedar for family members with bug problems? Here it's not at all uncommon for every household to get roaches in kitchen cabinets. We have them like everyone else around here, but I grabbed a bunch of slices of cedar and put them throughout the cabinets and VIOLA! Bugs gone. They apparently don't like cedar.

I figured it's time to change my signature so hold your breath. This is it.
Impressive, huh?
Marty or Marty Farty if you feel mean.
post #7 of 17 Old 09-08-2020, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

My wife says serving trays are fashionable now. Any other ideas?
post #8 of 17 Old 09-08-2020, 02:34 PM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
How many gifts do you plan to make? How much time do you have?

What makes a woodworking gift special is that you took the time and invested the effort to make it yourself with the recipient in mind. Those are the most important features, by far.

What makes a woodworking gift extra special is if you do something that separates the gift from common kits or commercial plans where the projects look the same as everyone else's projects, or look the same as products that you can buy in stores, mass produced with cheap labor. (I was at a club meeting, watching a demonstration of how to make a very simple, commonplace project. An old, wizened woodworker sitting next to me leaned over and whispered, "We go to the store and see stuff like that. I tell my wife: I can buy that for you, or I can make it for you for twice as much.")

-> Tricks include modifying the design, using an interesting wood or a nice combination of contrasting woods, a special finish, or incorporating decorative elements that make your gift unique. Drill stopped holes and glue polished rocks or marbles or inlay small bits of dark or light woods to add artistic interest. Sometimes it is just making the project to a quality level that can't be bought at any price any longer.

In my opinion, the very best gifts are handcrafted, one-of-a-kind objects where you do your own unique design and apply your best creativity, stretching your skills to the limit. ... all done with the recipient in mind. They also take the most planning, time, and effort. That was easy to write, huh?

Take the time to look at other peoples' designs. Do a web search for "unique 'xyz' designs" and see what pops up. I see a lot of truly unique, creative ideas. One of them might inspire you. Try this:
https://www.google.com/search?q=uniq...signs&tbm=isch
(Don't stop at the top ... scroll down and keep scrolling. Replace "clock" with whatever tickles your fancy. Try replacing "unique" with "unusual" !!)

I don't like to make direct copies. I prefer to use designs that I see to stimulate fresh new ideas of my own.

I keep a list of creative project and design ideas in a file on my computer. They are special projects I want to design and make, things that I have never seen done before. Whenever I think of an idea of a project that I want to make, I write it down and add it to the list later. Some ideas are whimsical, and some are practical. Some are beyond my current skill set. Sometimes I make prototypes to test ideas. I would love to share them, really! Sorry, but I dream that one or two might be worthy for entry at our local county fair. :-(

I hope this helps.
Tom-G and Onefreetexan like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tool Agnostic For This Useful Post:
raindog308 (09-13-2020)
post #9 of 17 Old 09-11-2020, 12:02 PM
Mossback

View TobyC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidy View Post
Thinking about maybe making some wood Christmas gifts for family and friends. Needs to be small enough to fit into a gift box for under the tree. I am aware of music boxes and clocks. Any unusual ideas out there?
Tree ornaments and candle holders, nothing large or tacky.
post #10 of 17 Old 09-11-2020, 09:05 PM

View Hive_NB's Photo Album My Photos
All of the above are really great options. If you have access to a lathe, wine bottle stoppers are always a huge hit. Also a balancing wine bottle holder always seems to mesmerize people and they are super simple to make.
post #11 of 17 Old 09-12-2020, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

Another idea is a wooden plant stand of your own design about 2.5 ft or so off the ground.
Tool Agnostic likes this.
post #12 of 17 Old 09-15-2020, 03:45 PM Thread Starter

Another idea is to make a magazine rack that stands right on the floors for those hot rod mags next to the john.
post #13 of 17 Old 09-15-2020, 09:53 PM

View kiwi_outdoors's Photo Album My Photos
my combination holder for playing cards , also good for scrabble tiles - its unique, made from walnut stock from Home Depot. There is a separate post on these.

https://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f13/...olders-217113/

Retired engineer-bureaucrat in Oakland, CA. Been working with wood since the 1960's. From the 50's if you count the scrap woodpile on the farm!
post #14 of 17 Old 09-15-2020, 09:54 PM

View kiwi_outdoors's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidy View Post
Another idea is to make a magazine rack that stands right on the floors for those hot rod mags next to the john.
So yesteryear. Its all on-line now. Reading on the iphone in the "john"; just don't drop the phone.

Retired engineer-bureaucrat in Oakland, CA. Been working with wood since the 1960's. From the 50's if you count the scrap woodpile on the farm!
post #15 of 17 Old 09-18-2020, 10:30 AM Thread Starter

Those who like wine might like a bottle stopper with a hand-turned figured wood top or a set of them.
post #16 of 17 Old 09-18-2020, 12:34 PM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi_outdoors View Post
So yesteryear. Its all on-line now. Reading on the iphone in the "john"; just don't drop the phone.
Ooh! Ooh! A combination toilet paper roll holder and iPhone reading stand! The hot gift of the season! One for every outhouse!
post #17 of 17 Old 09-18-2020, 10:07 PM

View ToolsOnaWall's Photo Album My Photos
I save the scrap from pen making. This year I made refrigerator magnets. I got twenty 1/4" rare earth magnets from PSI for $10.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FridgeMagnets.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	395627  

I know how to make sawdust.

Last edited by ToolsOnaWall; 09-18-2020 at 10:10 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode