Any Under Porch Ideas Besides Lattice? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By GeorgeC
  • 1 Post By TwoRails

post #1 of 15 Old 07-21-2016, 06:30 PM Thread Starter

View TwoRails's Photo Album My Photos
Any Under Porch Ideas Besides Lattice?

My back porch area was full of stuff around the outside perimeter at ground level. So much that you couldn't see under deck level. I've clean out all the planters and the like, and now you can see the grey 2x3 welded wire fence material that was there when we moved in.

I looked around YouTube and a lot of folks use lattice to enclose that area. I'm not sure I want to go with lattice, so I looked around for alternatives but didn't find any.

Any ideas on enclosing under a porch (a.k.a. deck)?

Oh, the porch is about 2 1/2' off the ground.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 07-21-2016, 07:29 PM
Senior Sawdust Sweeper

View Gary Beasley's Photo Album My Photos
I've seen mobile homes enclosed with a corrugated metal that probably comes in rolls for that purpose. Otherwise let your imagination loose on it, maybe cedar shingles? It would help to know the decor of the house.
post #3 of 15 Old 07-21-2016, 07:43 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoRails View Post
My back porch area was full of stuff around the outside perimeter at ground level. So much that you couldn't see under deck level. I've clean out all the planters and the like, and now you can see the grey 2x3 welded wire fence material that was there when we moved in.

I looked around YouTube and a lot of folks use lattice to enclose that area. I'm not sure I want to go with lattice, so I looked around for alternatives but didn't find any.

Any ideas on enclosing under a porch (a.k.a. deck)?

Oh, the porch is about 2 1/2' off the ground.
More information needed.

Do you want to be able to have visual access?
Do you want to be able to have physical access. ie will you need to ever get under there?
What length of perimeter is the porch?
What are your cost constraints.?

George
mat 60 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 07-22-2016, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Beasley View Post
I've seen mobile homes enclosed with a corrugated metal that probably comes in rolls for that purpose. Otherwise let your imagination loose on it, maybe cedar shingles? It would help to know the decor of the house.
No corrugated metal, thanks. I've seen mobile home 'parks' and don't even want that look, LOL!

I live in a double wide manufactured home. I know a lot of folks go, 'oh, so it is a mobile home!' when they hear 'manufactured home,' but there's a world of difference. For one, it's 2x6 construction, not 2x4 like a 'stick' home. It's insured as a 'regular' home, not a mobile home. It has a 'super good sense' rating for insulation. Has a cathedral ceiling. And so on... And is a lot nicer than any 'stick' home I've ever lived in, and I've lived in a lot. It's a nice place.

I do like the cedar shingle idea, though. That's a fresh idea :smile3:

See below for more details on the porch.
post #5 of 15 Old 07-22-2016, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeC View Post
More information needed.

Do you want to be able to have physical access. ie will you need to ever get under there?

George
Not needed. The preexisting 2x3 wire fencing is to keep any pets from going under, and cats, possums, and other critters out.

No. I've never had a need to get under there in the almost 20 years we've owned the place.

It's a small porch/deck compared to anyone I know: it only 10'x12'

LOL... well, I'm a 'tightwad.' I'm a blue jeans and T-shirt kind of person, too. That's to say I don't need anything really fancy. But at the same time, if I like option A a lot better than option B, but 'A' is a little more money, I'd probably go with 'A.'

The space under the porch is a little over 2' at the shallow end and probable close to about 2 3/4' at the deep end.

I really don't know what I want at this point, which is why I'm asking for help with ideas. Heck, even building 'nice' planter box(es) is still an option.

I kind of only have to worried about the front side, which is 10'. The left side has steps and an existing bush which takes up about 8' of the 12' length. The remaining space on this side is going to have a storage container that we like put back . So I'm good with leaving the wire fencing alone on this side as it won't be seen anyways.

Now that I think about it, the right side is where the large, fenced in dog run is. So leaving the existing 2x3 wire fence blends in with the 2x3 wire fence dog run. But if I did so something like cedar shingles, I'd probably do this side with it, too.

Hopefully the additional details help. I know listing them is helping my thought process on it.
post #6 of 15 Old 07-22-2016, 12:48 PM

View Kerrys's Photo Album My Photos
My neighbor, who has a manufactured house, used t-111 to enclose the bottom crawl space. He also put a 1x6 trim board between the t-111 and house painted the same color as the rest of the trim and painted the t-111 a complimentary color to the house's color. Looks pretty good.
post #7 of 15 Old 07-23-2016, 05:35 AM

View allpurpose's Photo Album My Photos
Hand carved real marble gargoyles? No, wait! Solid gold..always go with solid gold when in doubt.. or you could just trim it out with some pt lumber and paint it to match the place . Ours is just wide open. It sets on brick peers with a lot of wild greenery surrounding it which I'm sure someday soon when it's 116° out the Mrs will draft yours truly to chop all out to replant with something else..

I figured it's time to change my signature so hold your breath. This is it.
Impressive, huh?
post #8 of 15 Old 07-23-2016, 09:35 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
They are getting much better at mobile home skirting. You might use this stuff with has the look of brick and stone. http://www.fauxpanels.com/mobile-home-skirting.php Then they metal skirting which has the look of split face block. http://www.dmaskirting.com/index_fil...advantages.htm I would stay away from wood. Wood is just an invite for termites.
post #9 of 15 Old 07-30-2016, 10:17 AM Thread Starter

Some good ideas, thanks. Not sure when I can get to this project, but if it turns out OK, I'll post some before / after photos.
post #10 of 15 Old 07-30-2016, 02:50 PM

View Nathan Parker's Photo Album My Photos
Lattice looks a lot nicer with some greenery in front of it, or on it. My old house had brown vinyl lattice with hosta and ferns planted in front, and some ivy and climbing fern was allowed to climb up the lattice but trimmed away from the deck proper. I thought it looked very nice.

Plants

You could also get some thin wood or vinyl slats and weave them through the existing 2 X 3 wire. I've mainly seen this done with chain link, but I don't see why it wouldn't work with welded wire. It might be hard to get the slats in unless you run them horizontally.

Slats

If you have readily available branches or small-diameter trunks of some decay-resistant wood, you could make a sort of rustic palisade with lengths of that wood arranged vertically side-by-side all along the underside of the deck. I don't know where you live, so I don't what wood would be appropriate; in my area eastern red cedar would be the wood of choice for something like this. Just tie the sticks to the existing wire for stability.

Palisade
post #11 of 15 Old 07-31-2016, 12:21 PM

View gj13us's Photo Album My Photos
My in-laws live in a town where a lot of houses have porches that are several feet off the ground. Nearly all of them use siding to enclose that space. From my perspective, it looks like they weren't sure how to enclose it, so they used leftover siding.

Would you want to have some air circulation going through? Would shingles block the air?
post #12 of 15 Old 07-31-2016, 05:35 PM
dwl

View dwl's Photo Album My Photos
If you wish to enclose it, you could take a look at Hardy siding. It is concrete board so no termite or rot issues. They have different sizes and styles.
post #13 of 15 Old 07-31-2016, 08:42 PM

View Nathan Parker's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by gj13us View Post
My in-laws live in a town where a lot of houses have porches that are several feet off the ground. Nearly all of them use siding to enclose that space. From my perspective, it looks like they weren't sure how to enclose it, so they used leftover siding.

Would you want to have some air circulation going through? Would shingles block the air?
If you enclose the space with siding, you should probably include some vents, just like you would for a crawlspace, to prevent excess humidity that could cause your deck to rot. Of course, there should be some airflow through the deck itself, but some additional ventilation at ground level would definitely be a good idea.
post #14 of 15 Old 07-31-2016, 10:45 PM

View Brian T.'s Photo Album My Photos
Plant a few grape vines, 6-8' apart, on a crude page-wire (old sheep fence) trellis.
You get shade on stinkin' hot summer afternoons. You get fruit to eat, juice and jelly.
You get young leaves for greek dolmades (grape leaves taste like grapes, OK?) Greek cabbage rolls.
You get a place to shelter baby birds while the adults forage for them.
You get a place for hummingbirds to roost for the night.
You get a herd of birds to eat all the bugs, every day (they work S to N every morning.)

You get (after 5+ years) 100 yds of prunings per year that you can root to sell in your local farmer's market/
Yeah! Root and sell your rubbish! 2/$5 is a going rate.
My 2001 vines cover the entire west 40' face of my house. 24" out from the wall, 14' high. Good for 20F in the kitchen on a HOT afternoon.
I sell started grape vine cuttings and U-Pick fruit. Best crop was 2013 = 65lbs per vine.

Just an idea but it has been an easy thing to fall into over the years.
post #15 of 15 Old 08-25-2016, 10:50 AM Thread Starter

Hi All,

It took a while with all the other stuff I've got going on, but I finally got the skirting done on the porch.

The first one is kind of an overall before shot but minus the welded wire fence. You can see the new boards in the lower right.

So the second is the side where some of the wire fence is still there so you can see how it was. We really didn't see the wire fence with all the planters and the like all around it. You can also see the 'railing' (or whatever it's called) I had to install around the bottom of the porch to have something to nail the boards onto.

The third shot is the finished job. Too bad I couldn't match the existing boards. Oh well...

The last shot is of one of the notches I did. Not being a woodworker or carpenter, it was hard to figure out how to transfer the various cutout angles and notches for a 'custom' fit, but I managed.

Thanks for all the ideas and tips :smile3: - I'll keep them in mind for future projects for sure.
Attached Images

Kerrys likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode