Any Seattle Area Woodworkers Want To Help Me With A Small Project? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 12 Old 01-15-2013, 02:25 PM Thread Starter

View TheShaver's Photo Album My Photos
Any Seattle Area Woodworkers Want To Help Me With A Small Project?

Hi, I am new to the forums and the woodworking hobby. I am an avid wetshaver, I shave the old fashion way! I kind of got into this hobby by accident when I found myself wanting to make stands for shaving brushes and double edge razors and now I am making 7-day boxes for straight razors. Here is the scuttlebutt, I have no saws or power tools of any kind to cut out the notches for the razors to rest in and I am not quite sure how exactly I will get these notches cut evenly and evenly spaced and I was wondering if there is someone here in the Seattle (South King Co) area who could possibly help me? I have a 3 foot, by 1.5 x 3/4 inch oak board that I would be using to create the notches out of and I have the boxes pre-made by someone else.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-15-2013, 04:47 PM

View sawdustfactory's Photo Album My Photos
Hey Shaver, I'm out in North Bend and may be able to help you. I'd need a little better description/pic of what you need.

That bowl was perfect right up until that last cut...
The Following User Says Thank You to sawdustfactory For This Useful Post:
TheShaver (01-15-2013)
post #3 of 12 Old 01-15-2013, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

I am wanting to make something like this. I have the boxes already made and I am just looking to make the little notch racks you see in the picture.

http://www.google.com/imgres?hl=en&s...r:32,s:0,i:188
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 01-16-2013, 01:00 PM

View ctwiggs1's Photo Album My Photos
Seems like it should be relatively simple for anyone with a router table and table saw.

Do you just want one?
post #5 of 12 Old 01-16-2013, 01:10 PM

Shaver, I could do that for you. Pretty simple. You don't have enough posts for a private message yet, so I think you can send a visitor message. get me your contact info and we can talk.

The Following User Says Thank You to sawdustfactory For This Useful Post:
TheShaver (01-16-2013)
post #6 of 12 Old 01-16-2013, 03:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctwiggs1 View Post
Seems like it should be relatively simple for anyone with a router table and table saw.

Do you just want one?
Want just one of what? Yeah, I want to learn how to cut these types of notches so I can figure out what kind of tools to buy for the job and how to do it.

Last edited by TheShaver; 01-16-2013 at 09:56 PM.
post #7 of 12 Old 01-18-2013, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

I'm wondering if I shouldn't just run down to Harbor Freight and pick up one of their min-table saws. I'm cutting a 1.5 inch wide x 3/4 inch thick x 3 foot oak board to make notches for use in straight razor storage boxes. But I have no experience with working with these saws on my own and I'd like to learn to make consistent clean cuts ad get used to working with these types of tools before I decide to put down money on new or used saws, that I have no clue how t use, lol. I'd also like to learn some mathematical techniques to get equal spacing of these types of noches http://www.classicshaving.com/catalo...35/1020025.htm.
post #8 of 12 Old 01-18-2013, 09:54 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Don't

You have had an offer above, how did that work out? It sounds like a job for a radial arm saw or a table saw with a miter gauge extension and a dado head. If you have decent skills with a handsaw a pull type saw or a stiff back saw will do a fine job. Then just chisel out in between the saw cuts. Don't go buy some cheesy table saw that you may hurt yourself on. Is there no one you know who owns a table saw? a radial saw?

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #9 of 12 Old 01-18-2013, 09:56 PM Thread Starter

I haven't heard back yet.
post #10 of 12 Old 01-18-2013, 10:36 PM

View wilbwworker's Photo Album My Photos
How about some tips on how to use a strop? I found my grandads old straight razor and thought, how hard could it be? Well after a couple of tries I went back to the old BIC. I still have the straight razor, it just looks so cool, I just don't know how to use it....

Western MA
post #11 of 12 Old 01-18-2013, 10:46 PM

Shaver, I just sent you an e-mail. Sorry, forgot earlier today...got busy.

post #12 of 12 Old 01-20-2013, 04:30 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbwworker View Post
How about some tips on how to use a strop? I found my grandads old straight razor and thought, how hard could it be? Well after a couple of tries I went back to the old BIC. I still have the straight razor, it just looks so cool, I just don't know how to use it....
I can help you, what would you like to know? Stropping is fairly simple, you pull the strop tight and pull the razor with the spine leading and the edge trailing, you then flip the razor on its spine to avoid destroying the edge and complete the other half of the pass or "lap." Stropping on leather is only part of the stropping process, you have linens and pastes to act as a final polishing phase of the honing process, but that you only do periodically as the edge starts to "pull" rather than cut hairs cleanly.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode