Any problems with small part storage - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 07-04-2015, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

View Rebelwork's Photo Album My Photos
Any problems with small part storage

I've bought a few and wondering if anybody has had problems with any of these...
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-04-2015, 01:25 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
Storage boxes

Rebel
I use storage boxes.
Years ago, when my children were babies, you could find all sorts of creative ideas to use the baby food jars for storage. I used these for many years. Now I have some very nice storage (metal drawers full of bins) like you might find in a true hardware store. I keep all my screws, nails and small hardware in these. I also use some plastic small bin storage. Now that I have everything sorted, I can find something very quickly. 2 years of Retirement has contributed to my shop organization.
I wish I could post a picture of my metal storage cabinet but I can't post pictures from my I pad.
post #3 of 7 Old 07-04-2015, 01:41 PM

View phoenixbound's Photo Album My Photos
I have the one pictured 2nd from the top. Identical to that, but got it at Harbor Freight for way cheaper than the DeWalt branded ones. I have 2 or 3 of them and they are fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 07-04-2015, 03:08 PM

View woodchux's Photo Album My Photos
Can't go wrong with anything that helps keep small parts organized and IMO those cases are a positive move! Have a variety of containers (like the DeWalt unit) which is easy to stack & move to a job site. Be safe.
post #5 of 7 Old 07-05-2015, 09:58 AM Thread Starter

View Rebelwork's Photo Album My Photos
I like the metal drawer units but need something I can move from area or to a job site without hard corners. The husky box is great for multiple storage at $25 but requires being in an open space. The small Dewalt is really too small for $15. The larger Dewalt and Milwaukee seem about right and the Milwaukee is $5 more but 20% bigger than dewalt plus the added features.

Bottom line is I like the Husky around the shop because of all the various opeming for those smaller screws but need either the Dewalt or Milwaukee for every thing else.

Trying to find out if anyone has had problems with breakage,etc before I buy a bunch to make a rolling cabinet.
Attached Images

post #6 of 7 Old 07-05-2015, 10:42 AM

View woodchux's Photo Album My Photos
Never had any breakage problems, but be certain NOT to over fill each container for fit in the case & the case lid will close properly. As for a "rolling cabinet" (a great idea!), do not build it too tall to be top heavy when you remove items/cases from the bottom (maybe with adjustable shelves?), & of course adding wheels large enough to carry the load. Keep us posted as to your progress, & be safe.
post #7 of 7 Old 07-07-2015, 07:57 PM

View yank's Photo Album My Photos
In the following pic, you can seeto the left of the clamp rack my solution for storage of screws, nails, biscuts, etc. Old library index card file. I have two sections, 12 per section.

My father was my inspiration for woodworking, wish he was still around for more advice. Luv ya Dad.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode