Any ideas how to fix a chemical burn? HELP - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 9 Old 05-19-2013, 02:05 PM Thread Starter

View Mr_Dunev's Photo Album My Photos
Any ideas how to fix a chemical burn? HELP

So as a few of you know I am fixing up an old Industrial factory cart/table conversion. You can check out the thread below.

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f13/m...al-cart-51746/

It belonged to a painter and apart from covering it with paint and glue, it looks like there is some kind of chemical burn on the base, of the cart. It is VERY noticeable, and it is at probably a little less than a 1/4 of an inch at its deepest point.I am determined to finish it in the next day or so so I can put it up for sale, and give my GF her parking spot back.

Here are a couple pictures of the burn close up, look at the original thread if you want to see what it looks like from a distance.

Thanks for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-19-2013, 02:20 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Looks like spilled bleach. You might scrape to bare wood, and use an alcohol based dye to color it back.

post #3 of 9 Old 05-19-2013, 09:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetman View Post
Looks like spilled bleach. You might scrape to bare wood, and use an alcohol based dye to color it back.

What do you mean scrape to bare wood? I feel like the bare wood is already exposed. I'll look into alcohol based dye's thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 05-19-2013, 10:09 PM

View guglipm63's Photo Album My Photos
have you considered flipping the damaged boards over?
post #5 of 9 Old 05-19-2013, 10:19 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
It looks like bleached spot to me also. What Cabinetman is suggesting is use a wood scraper and take the surface wood off to get down below the bleach spot. As bad as it looks it's probably not very deep into the wood. More than if you sanded less than a 1/32" off it would take the spot off. It would probably be easier for you to color back if you took the finish off the entire affected boards. That way the color wouldn't have to be so exact.
post #6 of 9 Old 05-19-2013, 10:33 PM Thread Starter

It's not just the color that's effected, it's actually indented, and deeper than it looks. And the dark slits are even deeper mini crevices.

I never considered flipping them over I would have to inspect the underside much better than I have. All of the boards are glued together pretty well so it would be tough.

Any way to fill the bleach marks with some form of putty or something? sand it down and dye it?
post #7 of 9 Old 05-19-2013, 10:49 PM

View amckenzie4's Photo Album My Photos
Looks like proof it's an antique to me... if it were my project (which it's not), I'd leave the marks there.
post #8 of 9 Old 05-20-2013, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by amckenzie4 View Post
Looks like proof it's an antique to me... if it were my project (which it's not), I'd leave the marks there.
I know what you mean, but I feel that I will have an easier time selling it, if the burn is fixed. In my opinion it's really the only eyesore on the entire piece.
post #9 of 9 Old 05-20-2013, 05:57 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Dunev View Post
I know what you mean, but I feel that I will have an easier time selling it, if the burn is fixed. In my opinion it's really the only eyesore on the entire piece.
If you want something quick and easy you might just use a walnut touch up marker on it. A dark spot will look better than a white one.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode