Antique tools - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 22Likes

post #1 of 37 Old 02-03-2020, 03:09 AM Thread Starter

View Charlie47's Photo Album My Photos
Question Antique tools

Hi Folks,
Over 10 years ago, when my aunt passed away, I inherited 2 of my uncles handmade tools chests.
In looking through those chests, I found old hand saws, several hand planes, braces and bits, etc.
I don't know anything about them other than knowing they are there. Do people have any interest in old woodworking tools? Are there lists someplace that would tell me if they have any value? My uncle was a carpentry foreman for
DuPont and they traveled all over the country. Now he would be over a 100. However, I don't know how old they were or how long he had them. There are no power tools, just hand tools. Thanks, I appreciate y'all!

Kind Regards,
Charlie47
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 02-03-2020, 06:43 AM
djg
Senior Something

View djg's Photo Album My Photos
Let's see some.
post #3 of 37 Old 02-03-2020, 08:30 AM
Interested Observer

View subroc's Photo Album My Photos
Of course they have value. people collect virtually anything. I expect you are hoping there are $1000s of dollars in the box of old tools? Doubtful. People give table saws away or sell them for $50. As with all collections only something that is obscure and of the highest quality will have the highest value. A good way to start would be to determine exactly what is there, brand and model. Take a look at the eBay sold listings and see if any sold.

Good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 Old 02-03-2020, 09:03 AM Thread Starter

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by subroc View Post
Of course they have value. people collect virtually anything. I expect you are hoping there are $1000s of dollars in the box of old tools? Doubtful. People give table saws away or sell them for $50. As with all collections only something that is obscure and of the highest quality will have the highest value. A good way to start would be to determine exactly what is there, brand and model. Take a look at the eBay sold listings and see if any sold.

Good luck
Thanks, I will go to my storage shed and dig them out and list them. Where can you find list of approximate value?
I certainly don't expect thousands but a hundred or so would be great, if they are of value! They all have to be over 50 years old. If I know my uncle he only bought quality!

Kind Regards,
Charlie47
post #5 of 37 Old 02-03-2020, 10:13 AM
Interested Observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie47 View Post
Thanks, I will go to my storage shed and dig them out and list them. Where can you find list of approximate value?
I certainly don't expect thousands but a hundred or so would be great, if they are of value! They all have to be over 50 years old. If I know my uncle he only bought quality!
As I said, the eBay sold listings.
Charlie47 likes this.
post #6 of 37 Old 02-03-2020, 11:28 AM

View gmercer_48083's Photo Album My Photos
Show Photos, I may be interested.

Gary
post #7 of 37 Old 02-03-2020, 12:10 PM
Interested Observer

there is a classified forum
post #8 of 37 Old 02-03-2020, 12:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmercer_48083 View Post
Show Photos, I may be interested.
Bare with me a few days! I'm disabled and will have to find someone to help me dig the tool boxes out, then make pictures and lists. Thanks for your interest. Have a good week!
BigJim likes this.

Kind Regards,
Charlie47
post #9 of 37 Old 02-03-2020, 12:57 PM

View jpl500's Photo Album My Photos
You could take a look at this website to see examples of older hand tools for sale. I've bought a few things from there and the prices for what I've bought seem reasonable compared to other, similar sites.

http://www.jonzimmersantiquetools.com/index.html

pat
post #10 of 37 Old 02-03-2020, 04:37 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpl500 View Post
You could take a look at this website to see examples of older hand tools for sale. I've bought a few things from there and the prices for what I've bought seem reasonable compared to other, similar sites.

http://www.jonzimmersantiquetools.com/index.html

pat
Thanks so much jpl500! That's exactly what I needed! Folks, I don't believe I can sell anything on here! I am new, and haven't met the requirements! I just had no ideal if there was any value to old hand tools! I REALLY like this forum and don't want to break any rues! You folks are GREAT! I appreciate you!

Kind Regards,
Charlie47
post #11 of 37 Old 02-04-2020, 03:08 PM

View WesTex's Photo Album My Photos
Another site you may find to be of interest is Jim Bode Tools.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Charlie47 likes this.
post #12 of 37 Old 02-04-2020, 04:38 PM

View AwesomeOpossum74's Photo Album My Photos
* meekly raises hand *
... me?

Geoff
post #13 of 37 Old 02-04-2020, 06:51 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Are we going to get to see pictures of any of these tools?

George
post #14 of 37 Old 02-04-2020, 09:37 PM

View Kerrys's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeC View Post

George
Read post #8.
Charlie47 likes this.
post #15 of 37 Old 02-05-2020, 01:45 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeC View Post

George
Sure George,
However, I am totally and permanently disabled. I will have to wait until the weekend to get some help to move the tool chests, I'm also 72. Bare with me!

Kind Regards,
Charlie47
post #16 of 37 Old 02-05-2020, 02:22 AM

View rushers's Photo Album My Photos
I think antique tools you can find in some collectioners or in ebay. I do not have used old tools because I am newbie in woodworking and recently bought new tools like table saw like on (Ad removed)

Last edited by BigJim; 02-05-2020 at 09:09 AM. Reason: Ad Removed
post #17 of 37 Old 02-05-2020, 05:13 AM

View holtzdreher's Photo Album My Photos
There was a huge antique tool collectors group in Washington DC called PATINA (Potomac A.... Tools.... I forget the rest of what it stands for.) It has been 30 years since I was at once of their auctions. Incredible assortment of hand tools. Apparently it has grown with chapters in about half the states and they have annual auctions. http://www.patinatools.org/

In the old days, Carpenters carried their tools in a wooden chest Stanley sold a few different models, but most carpenters made their own. About 3 feet x 20in x 20in. The lid, when opened all the way was a sort of tray with blocks to hold two or three hand saws. The bottom had a lift out tray about 4 inches deep for pencils, nail aprons, planes, brace and bits etc. I had a really nice one full of tools that was lost in a fire.
Charlie47 likes this.

Last edited by holtzdreher; 02-05-2020 at 05:16 AM.
post #18 of 37 Old 02-05-2020, 05:25 AM Thread Starter

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by holtzdreher View Post
There was a huge antique tool collectors group in Washington DC called PATINA (Potomac A.... Tools.... I forget the rest of what it stands for.) It has been 30 years since I was at once of their auctions. Incredible assortment of hand tools. Apparently it has grown with chapters in about half the states and they have annual auctions. http://www.patinatools.org/

In the old days, Carpenters carried their tools in a wooden chest Stanley sold a few different models, but most carpenters made their own. About 3 feet x 20in x 20in. The lid, when opened all the way was a sort of tray with blocks to hold two or three hand saws. The bottom had a lift out tray about 4 inches deep for pencils, nail aprons, planes, brace and bits etc. I had a really nice one full of tools that was lost in a fire.
That is exactly what these are. I have 2 of them! The saws are in the top. Perfect description, these are green and they have rope handles!

Kind Regards,
Charlie47
post #19 of 37 Old 02-05-2020, 10:32 AM

View AwesomeOpossum74's Photo Album My Photos
@Charlie47, whatever your situation, and wherever you decide to sell, thank you for not allowing the tools to go to waste.
Charlie47 likes this.

Geoff
post #20 of 37 Old 02-05-2020, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomeOpossum74 View Post
@Charlie47, whatever your situation, and wherever you decide to sell, thank you for not allowing the tools to go to waste.
I almost did, I just wanted them out of my storage shed. Then I starting asking myself if maybe they had value. I have always wanted to do woodwork. However, I didn't have anything other than my drill, sander, circular saw and skill saw.
I really wanted to get what I needed to make the fly tying workstations. After visiting with you great guys, I see I can get what I need to put myself in business. This weekend I plan to get help to get the tool chests out, get the dust off them, take pictures, go through the websites I have been given by you fellas. Then I will go from there! I'm also going to visit some pawnshops, get some info there. Now I'm really getting excited! Thanks to you guys! I appreciate all of you! Thanks again!

Kind Regards,
Charlie47

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode