Another Router Table Fence Question - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 09-02-2013, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

View minuteman62-64's Photo Album My Photos
Another Router Table Fence Question

Getting ready to make the fence for my router table. Not sure exactly what projects I'll be using the table for, so not looking for a "project specific" fence. I'm looking at the New Yankee Workshop split fence design (for which I already have plans). My only concern is that the "T" slot for featherboards, etc. is too high for the Rockler fence featherboards I plan on using.

I know there are about as many opinions on this subject as there are posters on this Forum - but I'd still like some feedback on the NYW fence design - pros and cons. Also, how to work around the fence "T" slot being too high for my featherboards - 1/4" plywood extension piece? Other?

Thanks in advance for any input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-02-2013, 03:44 PM

View bladeburner's Photo Album My Photos
Just make your own split fence sliders. Pieces of T track on both sides, where you want them. I've made a few for one of my tables, however having had router tables of one design or other since 1965, I still prefer a hi-low fence. On another table I use it as is, or bolt on a ZCI for special bits as needed.
post #3 of 6 Old 09-02-2013, 04:33 PM

View MT Stringer's Photo Album My Photos
Here ya go, minuteman. All you ever needed to know.

Hope this give you some inspiration.
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 09-02-2013, 06:42 PM

View del schisler's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by minuteman62-64 View Post
Getting ready to make the fence for my router table. Not sure exactly what projects I'll be using the table for, so not looking for a "project specific" fence. I'm looking at the New Yankee Workshop split fence design (for which I already have plans). My only concern is that the "T" slot for featherboards, etc. is too high for the Rockler fence featherboards I plan on using.

I know there are about as many opinions on this subject as there are posters on this Forum - but I'd still like some feedback on the NYW fence design - pros and cons. Also, how to work around the fence "T" slot being too high for my featherboards - 1/4" plywood extension piece? Other?

go here and join the http://www.routerforums.com/ it is all about router's and anything you want to know about router's and tables ect best ever, been a member for yrs, lot's of fellow's with lot's of information del
post #5 of 6 Old 09-03-2013, 12:35 AM
John

View jschaben's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by minuteman62-64 View Post

The easy way would be to see if the Milescraft featherboards will work.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Dtools&field-keywords=milescraft#/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_18?url=search-alias%3Dtools&field-keywords=milescraft+featherboard&sprefix=milescraft+feather%2Ctools%2C256&rh=n%3A228013%2Ck%3Amilescraft+featherboardI've got both the Milescraft and the Rockler featherboards and the Milescraft are significantly longer. I'm not particularly impressed with the curved slots, makes large adjustments somewhat convoluted but otherwise they work as well as the Rocklers and on smaller, narrower stock, the Rocklers wont always reach.
If that isn't an option, my next suggestion would be bladeburners.

John

If I strive for perfection, I can generally achieve good'nuff, If I strive for good'nuff, I generally achieve firewood
post #6 of 6 Old 09-05-2013, 02:24 AM Thread Starter

View minuteman62-64's Photo Album My Photos
OK, I've reviewed the info you guys provided. I'm going to build the base for the fence per the NYW plan. Then make split fence pieces to fit various jobs. I'll start out with making split fence pieces with a "T" slot of a height that will accommodate my Rockler featherboards.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode