Another new member here! - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Gus64

post #1 of 9 Old 01-06-2018, 11:42 AM Thread Starter

View Gus64's Photo Album My Photos
Another new member here!

Hello! Just joined this site...I am beginner woodworker who had ZERO interest in this when younger (I would hold the flashlight or tools for my Dad and that was the extent of any wood working!). In my 50s now and it has become my new hobby! Oh so how I wish I learned more from my Dad! I did keep a lot of his tools but wish I had more.

Anyway, I have built a few simple things so far (small tables) and I'm trying to learn as much as I can even by trial and error! I am now trying to begin building a shoe and boot bench: trying to determine if I make a part of the sitting area about 55 inches wide, using 2, 2x10s, it will be strong enough and won't sag? (Entire length of this woukd be 90") Thought the 2x10s would be strong enough. Any thoughts are appreciated! (I have attached a pic of what I am trying to make.)
Attached Images

Catpower likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-06-2018, 02:17 PM

View Pineknot_86's Photo Album My Photos
That is a worthy project. Welcome to the forum. I found a book at one of the local used book stores where all furniture is made from 2X4s.

A diamond is how coal reacts under pressure.
post #3 of 9 Old 01-06-2018, 03:26 PM
Wood machinist

View difalkner's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome to the forum, Gus! 2x10's are fairly stout but just pay attention to the grain and how it runs in the board. If your board has the slightest bit of bow, like 1/4" - 3/8" over the 90" length then place the bow up. If it has more bow than that then pick another board. Do you have the option of adding a structural brace, say a 2x4 on edge down the middle or at the back? Maybe a plywood back on this would still look ok but would add to the rigidity and strength...

David

David

Curly Wood Shop on Etsy
David Falkner - Woodworking YouTube channel
Our music at church - current videos Airline Baptist BC Facebook Live
Romans 3:23
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 01-06-2018, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

Thanks! Yes, I see a lot of projects can be made with 2x4s. Good practice for me as I am still mastering making square cuts. Been using Kreg pocket hole screws and they have been great to use.

And thanks for the board tips! I will be sure to browse these forums more often!

Gus
post #5 of 9 Old 01-07-2018, 07:56 AM

View ducbsa's Photo Album My Photos
Since the weight of sitting will only be on the bench occasionally, the 2x10 boards, especially with the bow David mentioned above, should be fine.
post #6 of 9 Old 01-07-2018, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

Thank you.
post #7 of 9 Old 01-07-2018, 11:07 AM

View Roybrew's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome Gus64, pretty good bunch here on this site. Lots of good information and support by knowledgeable people. I agree that a plywood back would finish it off well because also, when you put boots and shoes underneath the shoes might mark up the wall behind it, or base molding if placed against a wall.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
post #8 of 9 Old 01-07-2018, 12:21 PM

View Catpower's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome Gus, and I agree with what everybody else said, and there are a lot of good people here

Now if I was to sit on it for an extended time, I will guarantee you it would sag LOL

That's why I can't stop on a bridge LOL
post #9 of 9 Old 01-07-2018, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

Haha! Now if were just to warm up a bit here (PA suburbs) so I can spend a little time in my garage starting this project!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode