ancient walnut monster planks - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 10 Old 12-16-2010, 04:04 PM Thread Starter

View kstylek's Photo Album My Photos
ancient walnut monster planks

I have aprox. 1000bdft of rough cut black walnut that I've stored for the last 20 years or so. It most boards are at least 12' long, 12" to 16" wide and 3" thick. The man i got it from was in his late 80's and he said it was in his shop for at least 50 years. I dressed one of the smaller boards today to find that its more beautiful that I could have ever guessed. I don't think I'll ever use it and its taking up a large part of my shop so I thought I might sell it. I have no Idea how to price it out. Should there be a premium for its size and age? I would appreciate any input to send me in the right direction.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 12-16-2010, 04:48 PM
Creative sawdust maker

View ScottyB's Photo Album My Photos
It appears to be absolutely worthless at that age and so you should just ship it off to me so it can be properly disposed of.

As to your question, I honestly have no idea on value. I'm still at that stage where "If you have to ask..."

Good luck with that.

Of course power tools and alcohol don't mix. Everyone knows power tools aren't soluble in alcohol...
post #3 of 10 Old 12-16-2010, 04:51 PM

View Daren's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by kstylek View Post
Should there be a premium for its size and age?
Size yes, age not really in my opinion. http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f26/a...d-lumber-5849/

If it's all busted and bug eaten, well that effects the value obviously. Some guys don't like sapwood on their walnut either, they just want the dark heart.

I know you are asking "price", we can't do that sight unseen. It would have to be graded and priced from there. It could be anywhere from $3-$5 bft for average stock to $10 for really good stuff (no knots/no sap/no checks/NO BUGS...)

Last edited by Daren; 12-16-2010 at 05:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 12-16-2010, 05:00 PM
SS user

View Gene Howe's Photo Album My Photos
Where are you?
Price would likely depend on where you are located.
JMO, but I wouldn't think 12/4 rough would bring a premium.
And, the widths, while nice to have, are not really exceptional.
Still, you probably have around 3-5 grand worth of wood.
post #5 of 10 Old 12-16-2010, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Howe View Post
Price would likely depend on where you are located.
We have talked about this before Gene, you would have to pay $9 bft locally for what I sell here for $3, same stock...location-location-location.

post #6 of 10 Old 12-16-2010, 05:20 PM

View joesdad's Photo Album My Photos
I pay around $8.25bf for RS 8/4. Never priced 12/4. The age would mean little to me. As Darren mentioned the integrity of the wood is more important and although walnut sapwood marbled with the heart can be beautiful when it's use on something like a floor, I'm usually looking for boards with no sapwood. Now if any of those pieces have large burled sections, that would be different. You have a shop? And you'll never use it? Not a woodworking shop I guess. What state are you in?

Intellectuals solve problems, geniuses prevent them.
-Albert Einstein :http://armandj.com
post #7 of 10 Old 12-16-2010, 05:53 PM

View Allen Tomaszek's Photo Album My Photos
HI kstylek...Daren has pretty much hit the nail on the head. In addition to grade, and where you are geographically you would also have to consider who you're trying to sell to. If you're looking to get the highest prices you'd likely be dealing with smaller qty sales to individual woodworkers, many who will want the best quality material and leave you with the lesser grades to deal with. If you're looking to move it out in one or two larger sales then you'd likely be looking at something closer to wholesale pricing.
post #8 of 10 Old 12-16-2010, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

View kstylek's Photo Album My Photos
I'm in upstate New York, Albany area. In the next few days I'll take some pics. As far as I can tell Its not checked and I see no bug damage at all. I'm a little confused to what you mean by sapwood. And yes I do have a shop, but I spend so much time working on other peoples houses its the last thing I want to do when I'm home. I hope to change that this winter season. First things first I need to make some room!!!!
Thank you for your advise guys
post #9 of 10 Old 12-16-2010, 06:06 PM

Sapwood is the lighter wood on the edge, like you see in this picture of me and a couple little walnut boards.

post #10 of 10 Old 12-16-2010, 07:50 PM
Forgotten but not gone

View TexasTimbers's Photo Album My Photos
For perspective, this is showing sap when in the log form also. Nothing like the trophies Daren is holding up but some great lumber came from this nasty looking log . . . .

Name:  old one3.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  79.9 KB

And another thread with some pricing considerations is here. It's not actually a thread that started that way but the discussion did come up. And someone from Texas got really long-winded.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode